Old 01-20-2008, 12:39 AM
Philip Webb

Default stuff accumulating in /tmp

A problem I have is that Firefox is not deleting .pdf files from /tmp
after I have viewed & saved them elsewhere (using Kpdf).
There seems to be no place in Firefox or Kpdf settings to change this.
Does anyone have a useful suggestion for automatically deleting them ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@chass.utoronto.ca
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto

Old 01-20-2008, 01:05 AM
Dale

Philip Webb wrote:
> A problem I have is that Firefox is not deleting .pdf files from /tmp
> after I have viewed & saved them elsewhere (using Kpdf).
> There seems to be no place in Firefox or Kpdf settings to change this.
> Does anyone have a useful suggestion for automatically deleting them ?

Since /tmp has been talked about on -dev, reboot will do it.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-20-2008, 01:34 AM
Philip Webb

080119 Dale wrote:
> Philip Webb wrote:
>> A problem I have is that Firefox is not deleting .pdf files from /tmp
>> after I have viewed & saved them elsewhere (using Kpdf).
>> There seems to be no place in Firefox or Kpdf settings to change this.
>> Does anyone have a useful suggestion for automatically deleting them ?
> Since /tmp has been talked about on -dev, reboot will do it.

No, it doesn't: some system setting I'm missing ?

Old 01-20-2008, 03:01 AM
Kevin

Philip Webb wrote:
> 080119 Dale wrote:
>> Philip Webb wrote:
>>> A problem I have is that Firefox is not deleting .pdf files from /tmp
>>> after I have viewed & saved them elsewhere (using Kpdf).
>>> There seems to be no place in Firefox or Kpdf settings to change this.
>>> Does anyone have a useful suggestion for automatically deleting them ?
>> Since /tmp has been talked about on -dev, reboot will do it.
>
> No, it doesn't: some system setting I'm missing ?

To automatically wipe /tmp upon reboot. Change WIPE_TMP to yes in
/etc/conf.d/bootmisc

Old 01-20-2008, 03:55 AM
Philip Webb

080119 Kevin wrote:
> To automatically wipe /tmp upon reboot,
> change WIPE_TMP to "yes" in /etc/conf.d/bootmisc

Thanks: I will consider the implications.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 20 January 2008, Dale wrote:
> Philip Webb wrote:
> > A problem I have is that Firefox is not deleting .pdf files from
> > /tmp after I have viewed & saved them elsewhere (using Kpdf).
> > There seems to be no place in Firefox or Kpdf settings to change
> > this. Does anyone have a useful suggestion for automatically
> > deleting them ?
>
> Since /tmp has been talked about on -dev, reboot will do it.

Only if /tmp is a tmpfs.

On a machine used as a desktop, this is a good idea as they are rebooted
often and the FHS states that the contents of /tmp should not be relied
on to survive a reboot.

On a server style machine that is not rebooted often, tmpwatch running
in a cron does a good job of this.

alan

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 01-20-2008, 07:52 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 20 January 2008, Philip Webb wrote:
> 080119 Kevin wrote:
> > To automatically wipe /tmp upon reboot,
> > change WIPE_TMP to "yes" in /etc/conf.d/bootmisc
>
> Thanks: I will consider the implications.

There aren't any implications. By *definition*, the contents of /tmp
should not be relied on to survive a reboot or even subsequent
invocations of the same program.

Any app that does rely on the contents of /tmp still being there is thus
fundamentally broken in it's behaviour and should be avoided or fixed.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:23 AM
Philip Webb

080120 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Sunday 20 January 2008, Philip Webb wrote:
>> 080119 Kevin wrote:
>>> To automatically wipe /tmp upon reboot,
>>> change WIPE_TMP to "yes" in /etc/conf.d/bootmisc
>> Thanks: I will consider the implications.
> There aren't any implications.
> By *definition*, the contents of /tmp should not be relied on
> to survive a reboot or even subsequent invocations of the same program.
> Any app that does rely on the contents of /tmp still being there is thus
> fundamentally broken in it's behaviour and should be avoided or fixed.

Strictly, you are correct -- that's the POSIX rule, which I know about -- ,
but there is a problem when using Mutt (another user mentioned this).
By default, Mutt creates its temporary files in /tmp ,
which applies to the working file for new msgs even when editing with Vim
(which defaults to keeping its .swp running-back-up files in '.').
Leaving the defaults in place, if power fails while composing a msg,
the surviving .swp files wb preserved in /tmp ,
but only if you don't set WIPE_TMP="yes" . If you set that to "yes",
when you reboot after the power failure, the .swp back-up wb lost.
You need to change .muttrc to include 'set tmpdir="/var/tmp"',
which should always survive a reboot (acc to POSIX).