Old 08-30-2010, 05:06 AM
Mike Diehl

Default request_module: runaway loop

Hi all,

I'm trying to build a new duel quad-core server and I'm having some problems.

Just after it loads the keymap, I get this error:

request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c

A few minutes later, it panics.

I'm loading from a pendrive that I've used before to build servers, so I don't
THINK it's the installation media.

Some of the search results I got from Goggle (who is my friend, btw) indicated
that it might be a problem with drive labels. After unplugging both drives
and retrying, I'm convinced thats not the case.

Other chatter indicated that I was booting a 32-bin kernel in a 64-bit OS, or
vise versa. Based solely on the name of the failing module, this has some
credibility, but seems like a stretch since I've not changed the pendrive.

Anyone else seen, and fixed, this problem before? Any advise would be
welcome.

--

Take care and have fun,
Mike Diehl.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:40 AM
"J. Roeleveld"

On Monday 30 August 2010 07:06:05 Mike Diehl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to build a new duel quad-core server and I'm having some
> problems.
>
> Just after it loads the keymap, I get this error:
>
> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c
>
> A few minutes later, it panics.
>
> I'm loading from a pendrive that I've used before to build servers, so I
> don't THINK it's the installation media.
>
> Some of the search results I got from Goggle (who is my friend, btw)
> indicated that it might be a problem with drive labels. After unplugging
> both drives and retrying, I'm convinced thats not the case.
>
> Other chatter indicated that I was booting a 32-bin kernel in a 64-bit OS,
> or vise versa. Based solely on the name of the failing module, this has
> some credibility, but seems like a stretch since I've not changed the
> pendrive.
>
> Anyone else seen, and fixed, this problem before? Any advise would be
> welcome.

Not seen this myself, but I did find the following page:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=253794

This mentions reinstalling grub solved the issue.

Is the pendrive for a 32bit installation or a 64bit installation?

--
Joost

Old 08-31-2010, 06:49 AM
Mike Diehl

On Monday 30 August 2010 12:40:59 am J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On Monday 30 August 2010 07:06:05 Mike Diehl wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm trying to build a new duel quad-core server and I'm having some
> > problems.
> >
> > Just after it loads the keymap, I get this error:
> >
> > request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c
> >
> > A few minutes later, it panics.
> >
> > I'm loading from a pendrive that I've used before to build servers, so I
> > don't THINK it's the installation media.
> >
> > Some of the search results I got from Goggle (who is my friend, btw)
> > indicated that it might be a problem with drive labels. After unplugging
> > both drives and retrying, I'm convinced thats not the case.
> >
> > Other chatter indicated that I was booting a 32-bin kernel in a 64-bit
> > OS, or vise versa. Based solely on the name of the failing module, this
> > has some credibility, but seems like a stretch since I've not changed
> > the pendrive.
> >
> > Anyone else seen, and fixed, this problem before? Any advise would be
> > welcome.
>
> Not seen this myself, but I did find the following page:
> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=253794
>
> This mentions reinstalling grub solved the issue.
>
> Is the pendrive for a 32bit installation or a 64bit installation?
>
> --
> Joost

I just tried to use the pendrive to boot an older machine and got the same
results. Looks like my pendrive is corrupted. Thank you for your time.

--

Take care and have fun,
Mike Diehl.