Old 01-19-2008, 11:10 PM
"b.n."

Default Cowon iAudio u5

(I crosspost it here from the forums because I have no answers there...)

Hi,
I'm considering buying this mp3 player:
http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudio/u5/#specs

What I don't understand, is if it's Gentoo-friendly. Cowon x5 and i7
units, apart from being high quality players, used to be very
Linux-friendly AFAIK, and they even nicely support Ogg Vorbis audio.
However the x5 is discontinued and the i7 looks a bit too costly for me.

The u5 seems nice, unfortunately it doesn't support Ogg, but apart from
it looks cool. However it says:

Supports Windows Media DRM 10, MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)
[...]
USB Data Transfer Support for MAC OS (9.X, 10.X) and Linux (v2.2 and higher)

From the PDF manual it seems to be "nice", in the meaning that you can
just drag-and-drop mp3 files like on a USB drive, and it will play them.
But if it's so, why it talks about MTP and Windows DRM (brrr!) ?
Basically, I don't want to find myself with an Ipod-like brick where I
can copy files on, but won't play them.

Is some Gentooer using the iAudio u5? What do you advise me to look for
in understanding this issue?

Thanks,
m.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:49 PM
Willie Wong

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 01:10:22AM +0100, Penguin Lover b.n. squawked:
> Hi,
> I'm considering buying this mp3 player:
> http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudio/u5/#specs

The best chance you'll get an answer is probably from the Cowon
forums. I own a JetAudio M3, and it is extremely linux friendly.

> The u5 seems nice, unfortunately it doesn't support Ogg, but apart from
> it looks cool. However it says:
>
> Supports Windows Media DRM 10, MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)
> [...]
> USB Data Transfer Support for MAC OS (9.X, 10.X) and Linux (v2.2 and higher)

My guess for the DRM: it supports playback of files with Windows Media
DRM (which, AFAIK, cannot be played on linux.) I don't know what the
Media Transfor Protocol is.

The Cowon iAudio in general has very good history that they can be
used as just a removable USB disk with the VFAT driver.

Best,

--
Marten: Instead of a basket with wine and cheese, you get jpegs of
equine molestation.