Old 08-28-2010, 02:31 AM
Grant

Default Can't connect to new router

I just got a new TP-Link TL-WR1043ND wireless router but I can't seem
connect to it. I've tried the Gentoo initscript as well as wicd.
With the initscript, I get:

wlan3: carrier lost
wlan3: timed out

I see a lot of this in dmesg:

b43-phy0 ERROR: MAC suspend failed

I can connect to other wireless routers just fine, and I can connect
to this one via ethernet. I've tried configuring it in various ways,
security is disabled, and I've tried specifying static IPs with no
luck. Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?

- Grant

Old 08-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Mick

On Saturday 28 August 2010 03:31:58 Grant wrote:
> I just got a new TP-Link TL-WR1043ND wireless router but I can't seem
> connect to it. I've tried the Gentoo initscript as well as wicd.
> With the initscript, I get:
>
> wlan3: carrier lost
> wlan3: timed out
>
> I see a lot of this in dmesg:
>
> b43-phy0 ERROR: MAC suspend failed
>
> I can connect to other wireless routers just fine, and I can connect
> to this one via ethernet. I've tried configuring it in various ways,
> security is disabled, and I've tried specifying static IPs with no
> luck. Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?

Check that you're using the latest kernel and the latest firmware. I used to
get this error with a particular cisco access point and it went away when I
updated to 2.6.34 kernel series and also updated the firmware. Have a good
look in here to find the latest suitable firmware for your NIC:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware
Mick

Old 09-09-2010, 03:44 AM
Grant

>> I just got a new TP-Link TL-WR1043ND wireless router but I can't seem
>> connect to it. *I've tried the Gentoo initscript as well as wicd.
>> With the initscript, I get:
>>
>> wlan3: carrier lost
>> wlan3: timed out
>>
>> I see a lot of this in dmesg:
>>
>> b43-phy0 ERROR: MAC suspend failed
>>
>> I can connect to other wireless routers just fine, and I can connect
>> to this one via ethernet. *I've tried configuring it in various ways,
>> security is disabled, and I've tried specifying static IPs with no
>> luck. *Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?
>
> Check that you're using the latest kernel and the latest firmware. *I used to
> get this error with a particular cisco access point and it went away when I
> updated to 2.6.34 kernel series and also updated the firmware. *Have a good
> look in here to find the latest suitable firmware for your NIC:
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware

I upgraded to the latest firmware in portage and the "MAC suspend
failed" errors have disappeared, but I still can't connect to the
router. Here is the only clue I see in dmesg:

No probe response from AP a1:b2:c3:d4:e5:f6 after 500ms, disconnecting.

Any ideas?

- Grant

Old 09-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Mick

On Thursday 09 September 2010 04:44:26 Grant wrote:
> >> I just got a new TP-Link TL-WR1043ND wireless router but I can't seem
> >> connect to it. I've tried the Gentoo initscript as well as wicd.
> >> With the initscript, I get:
> >>
> >> wlan3: carrier lost
> >> wlan3: timed out
> >>
> >> I see a lot of this in dmesg:
> >>
> >> b43-phy0 ERROR: MAC suspend failed
> >>
> >> I can connect to other wireless routers just fine, and I can connect
> >> to this one via ethernet. I've tried configuring it in various ways,
> >> security is disabled, and I've tried specifying static IPs with no
> >> luck. Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?
> >
> > Check that you're using the latest kernel and the latest firmware. I
> > used to get this error with a particular cisco access point and it went
> > away when I updated to 2.6.34 kernel series and also updated the
> > firmware. Have a good look in here to find the latest suitable firmware
> > for your NIC:
> >
> > http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware
>
> I upgraded to the latest firmware in portage and the "MAC suspend
> failed" errors have disappeared, but I still can't connect to the
> router. Here is the only clue I see in dmesg:
>
> No probe response from AP a1:b2:c3:d4:e5:f6 after 500ms, disconnecting.
>
> Any ideas?

Try a later kernel which would have a more up to date driver. Last time I had
this problem it was corrected by unmasking and using a newer kernel. It's
something to do with the TTL that the driver uses and I'm not sure that this
is a parameter that you can see listed under modinfo. I believe it is hard
coded.
Mick

Old 09-22-2010, 01:26 AM
Grant

>> > Check that you're using the latest kernel and the latest firmware. *I
>> > used to get this error with a particular cisco access point and it went
>> > away when I updated to 2.6.34 kernel series and also updated the
>> > firmware. *Have a good look in here to find the latest suitable firmware
>> > for your NIC:
>> >
>> > http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware
>>
>> I upgraded to the latest firmware in portage and the "MAC suspend
>> failed" errors have disappeared, but I still can't connect to the
>> router. *Here is the only clue I see in dmesg:
>>
>> No probe response from AP a1:b2:c3:d4:e5:f6 after 500ms, disconnecting.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Try a later kernel which would have a more up to date driver. *Last time I had
> this problem it was corrected by unmasking and using a newer kernel. *It's
> something to do with the TTL that the driver uses and I'm not sure that this
> is a parameter that you can see listed under modinfo. *I believe it is hard
> coded.

I'm on the latest hardened-sources kernel so I'll wait it out. In the
meantime I've plugged in a USB wireless NIC and it's working fine.
Thank you for your help.

- Grant

Old 09-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Mick

On Wednesday 22 September 2010 02:26:40 Grant wrote:

> >> I upgraded to the latest firmware in portage and the "MAC suspend
> >> failed" errors have disappeared, but I still can't connect to the
> >> router. Here is the only clue I see in dmesg:
> >>
> >> No probe response from AP a1:b2:c3:d4:e5:f6 after 500ms, disconnecting.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >
> > Try a later kernel which would have a more up to date driver. Last time
> > I had this problem it was corrected by unmasking and using a newer
> > kernel. It's something to do with the TTL that the driver uses and I'm
> > not sure that this is a parameter that you can see listed under modinfo.
> > I believe it is hard coded.
>
> I'm on the latest hardened-sources kernel so I'll wait it out. In the
> meantime I've plugged in a USB wireless NIC and it's working fine.
> Thank you for your help.

I'm on 2.6.34-gentoo-r6 and the b43 driver works fine here, but only a few
kernels back it was exhibiting the same symptoms like yours.

Some users have mentioned that if you use WPA/WPA2 encryption the symptoms are
surprisingly less frequent!

So until a more up to date kernel shows up you may want to look into
experimenting with wpa_supplicant.
Mick

Old 09-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Grant

>> > Try a later kernel which would have a more up to date driver. *Last time
>> > I had this problem it was corrected by unmasking and using a newer
>> > kernel. *It's something to do with the TTL that the driver uses and I'm
>> > not sure that this is a parameter that you can see listed under modinfo.
>> > *I believe it is hard coded.
>>
>> I'm on the latest hardened-sources kernel so I'll wait it out. *In the
>> meantime I've plugged in a USB wireless NIC and it's working fine.
>> Thank you for your help.
>
> I'm on 2.6.34-gentoo-r6 and the b43 driver works fine here, but only a few
> kernels back it was exhibiting the same symptoms like yours.
>
> Some users have mentioned that if you use WPA/WPA2 encryption the symptoms are
> surprisingly less frequent!
>
> So until a more up to date kernel shows up you may want to look into
> experimenting with wpa_supplicant.

I'm actually using the same kernel version, for me it's
2.6.34-hardened-r6. I've tried softmode with the same results. I'm
using wicd and WPA2, and I tried wpa_supplicant when I first started
having the problem with the same results.

Thanks for your help. I'm sure it will be fixed up soon. Probably
already fixed in newer kernel versions.

- Grant