Old 08-27-2010, 06:31 PM
James

Default xorg.conf (HDMI vs DVI-D)

Hello,

We'll I've got a new samsung monitor 2333HD-1
that is verified 1920x1080.

Finally, I got it working on a dvi-d-2-dvi-d video cable
with no problems...(minimal xorg.conf) and ati-drivers.

OK, so I switch to a DVI-D<on video card> to HDMI
on the monitor and it comes in, but the bottom and sides
are missing.

OK so I found this thread that I'm guessing is
on the mark:
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23826

But, I'm a little bit 'chicken' with xorg.conf, not
to mention messing with the dot clock et al.......
<CLUCK CLUCK CLUCK>

Anyone want to venture a guess about the display settings,
suggested in the link? that I should use? A better way?

Here's the (example) math I use to use:
# DisplaySize 426 266
# width = (1680pix / 100pix/in) x [25.4mm/in] = 427 --> 426
# hieght = (1050pix / 100pix/in) x [25.4mm/in] = 267 --> 266

Here is what's working with the dvi-dvi cable:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
HorizSync 30-81
VertRefresh 56-75
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Driver "fglrx"
BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
# Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1920x1080" "1680x1050" "1280x1024" "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Old 08-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 1:31 PM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> We'll I've got a new samsung monitor 2333HD-1
> that is verified 1920x1080.
>
> Finally, I got it working on a dvi-d-2-dvi-d video cable
> with no problems...(minimal xorg.conf) and ati-drivers.
>

> OK, so I switch to a DVI-D<on video card> to HDMI
> on the monitor and it comes in, but the bottom and sides
> are missing.

I guess this is the question to me:

Is the monitor doing overscan on HDMI?
or
Is the ATI driver doing underscan on HDMI based on the assumption that
the monitor will overscan?

Check if your monitor on-screen menu has overscan settings (or change
it to "PC Mode" or something, the manufacturers all have different
terminology). Otherwise if it has no settings you'll have to conitunue
messing with the ATI drivers instead.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:00 PM
James

Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Is the monitor doing overscan on HDMI?

I'd assume the monitor (HDMI input) is doing the overscan,
since HDMI is suppose to be 'smart'.
That what the link suggested.

> Is the ATI driver doing underscan on HDMI based on the assumption that
> the monitor will overscan?
NO, it works find with a dvi-d 2 dvi-d cable. The computer is
always dvi-d (to either dvi-d cable 1 or hdmi cable 2)..
so how could ati-driver be doing the hdmi (embedded) protocol?

> Check if your monitor on-screen menu has overscan settings (or change
> it to "PC Mode" or something, the manufacturers all have different
> terminology). Otherwise if it has no settings you'll have to conitunue
> messing with the ATI drivers instead.

NO, the only pc setting is when you use a standard 15 pin
VGA cable and no protocol to adjust scan or scan ratesss....

I'm guessing I stuck with xorg.conf machinations.....
(oh boy, here we go again......)

Ideas?

James

Old 08-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 2:00 PM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Is the monitor doing overscan on HDMI?
>
> I'd assume the monitor (HDMI input) is doing the overscan,
> since HDMI is suppose to be 'smart'.
> That what the link suggested.
>
>> Is the ATI driver doing underscan on HDMI based on the assumption that
>> the monitor will overscan?
> NO, it works find with a dvi-d 2 dvi-d cable. The computer is
> always dvi-d (to either dvi-d cable 1 or hdmi cable 2)..
> so how could ati-driver be doing the hdmi (embedded) protocol?
>
>> Check if your monitor on-screen menu has overscan settings (or change
>> it to "PC Mode" or something, the manufacturers all have different
>> terminology). Otherwise if it has no settings you'll have to conitunue
>> messing with the ATI drivers instead.
>
> NO, the only *pc setting is when you use a standard 15 pin
> VGA cable and no protocol to adjust scan or scan ratesss....
>

> I'm guessing I stuck with xorg.conf machinations.....
> (oh boy, here we go again......)
>
> Ideas?

I just looked at the manual for this TV online and it looks like it
has "Just Scan" mode which could potentially show you the original
image by pressing the P.SIZE button on the remote control. So you
might want to try again to see if this option does what you need.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 20:31 on Friday 27 August 2010, James did
opine thusly:

> Hello,
>
> We'll I've got a new samsung monitor 2333HD-1
> that is verified 1920x1080.
>
> Finally, I got it working on a dvi-d-2-dvi-d video cable
> with no problems...(minimal xorg.conf) and ati-drivers.
>

> OK, so I switch to a DVI-D<on video card> to HDMI
> on the monitor and it comes in, but the bottom and sides
> are missing.
>
> OK so I found this thread that I'm guessing is
> on the mark:
> http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23826
>
> But, I'm a little bit 'chicken' with xorg.conf, not
> to mention messing with the dot clock

I don't have an answer to your actual question, but I can answer the above.

You have nothing to fear from fiddling with clock settings on a flat panel.
That only ever applied to CRT displays where running the horizontal frequency
higher than the circuit was designed for would increase the HT voltage at the
final anode - which often cracked the thin glass on the tube neck.

Flat panels do not have a concept of scan coil to drive, there is no HT
transformer and there is no tube to have 28kV inside of. The owrst you can do
is to get no picture.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 08-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Daniel da Veiga

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 15:31, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We'll I've got a new samsung monitor 2333HD-1
> that is verified 1920x1080.
>
> Finally, I got it working on a dvi-d-2-dvi-d video cable
> with no problems...(minimal xorg.conf) and ati-drivers.
>

> OK, so I switch to a DVI-D<on video card> to HDMI
> on the monitor and it comes in, but the bottom and sides
> are missing.
>
> OK so I found this thread that I'm guessing is
> on the mark:
> http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23826
>
> But, I'm a little bit 'chicken' with xorg.conf, not
> to mention messing with the dot clock et al.......
> <CLUCK *CLUCK *CLUCK>
>
> Anyone want to venture a guess about the display settings,
> suggested in the link? that I should use? A better way?
>
> Here's the (example) math I use to use:
> # * * * DisplaySize 426 266
> # width *= (1680pix */ 100pix/in) x [25.4mm/in] = *427 --> 426
> # hieght = (1050pix */ 100pix/in) x [25.4mm/in] = *267 --> 266
>

> Here is what's working with the dvi-dvi cable:
>
> Section "Monitor"
> * * * *Identifier * "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
> * * * *Option * * *"VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
> * * * *Option * * *"ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
> * * * *Option * * *"DPMS" "true"
> * * * *HorizSync * *30-81
> * * * *VertRefresh *56-75
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> * * * *Identifier *"aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
> * * * *Driver * * *"fglrx"
> * * * *BusID * * * "PCI:2:0:0"
> # * * * Option * * *"XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> * * * *Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
> * * * *Device * * "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
> * * * *Monitor * *"aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
> * * * *DefaultDepth * * 24
> * * * *SubSection "Display"
> * * * * * * * *Viewport *0 0
> * * * * * * * *Depth * * 24
> * * * * * * * *Modes * *"1920x1080" "1680x1050" "1280x1024" "1024x768"
> * * * *EndSubSection
> EndSection

Have you tried setting the INPUT NAME of the HDMI to "PC" using the
remote (on TV)?
My Samsung does the same, after I set my HDMI as "PC" everything is at
the right place.

--
Daniel da Veiga

Old 08-27-2010, 08:56 PM
"Jason Carson"

> Hello,
>
> We'll I've got a new samsung monitor 2333HD-1
> that is verified 1920x1080.
>
> Finally, I got it working on a dvi-d-2-dvi-d video cable
> with no problems...(minimal xorg.conf) and ati-drivers.
>

> OK, so I switch to a DVI-D<on video card> to HDMI
> on the monitor and it comes in, but the bottom and sides
> are missing.

Can you set overscan to 0% in the ATI Catalyst Control Center. Does that
make a difference?

Old 08-28-2010, 01:18 AM
James

Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I just looked at the manual for this TV online and it looks like it
> has "Just Scan" mode which could potentially show you the original
> image by pressing the P.SIZE button on the remote control. So you
> might want to try again to see if this option does what you need.

THANKS, never tried that button. It does not permanently set though...

the default is 16:9 (which should work), 'wide fit',
then 4:3, then 'just scan'.

'just scan' does the trick.
It does not permanently set though...

What's the link to the manual...?
I never could find it.

TIA,
James

Old 08-28-2010, 01:20 AM
James

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:

> You have nothing to fear from fiddling with clock settings on a flat panel.
> The owrst you can do is to get no picture.

Good to know.

thx
James

Old 08-28-2010, 01:21 AM
James

Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Have you tried setting the INPUT NAME of the HDMI to "PC" using the
> remote (on TV)?
> My Samsung does the same, after I set my HDMI as "PC" everything is at
> the right place.

Can only do this on the PC selection which only works when
a standard 15 pin VGA cable is used...

James