Old 08-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Konstantinos Agouros

Default Virtualization where to go from VMWare-Server-1?

Hi,

I am currently running a guest with VMware-Server-1. However the modules
needed for that on the host are no longer supported and I am stuck with 2.6.31
for the moment.
So I am thinking of alternatives. My requirements:

It should only need as much RAM on the host as needed (so XEN with static
assignment is out)

It should run headless (I don't want a window on the desktop but be able
get console access when needed).

VMWare import/compatibility would be nice but is not a must have.

I use VirtualBox on a Mac but can it run headless? Any other proposals?

Thanks,

Konstantin
--
Dipl-Inf. Konstantin Agouros aka Elwood Blues. Internet: elwood@agouros.de
Altersheimerstr. 1, 81545 Muenchen, Germany. Tel +49 89 69370185

Old 08-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Remy Blank

Konstantinos Agouros wrote:
> I use VirtualBox on a Mac but can it run headless? Any other proposals?

Yes, see the documentation for VBoxHeadless.

-- Remy

Old 08-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Bill Longman

On 08/27/2010 12:58 AM, Konstantinos Agouros wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently running a guest with VMware-Server-1. However the modules
> needed for that on the host are no longer supported and I am stuck with 2.6.31
> for the moment.
> So I am thinking of alternatives. My requirements:
>
> It should only need as much RAM on the host as needed (so XEN with static
> assignment is out)
>
> It should run headless (I don't want a window on the desktop but be able
> get console access when needed).
>
> VMWare import/compatibility would be nice but is not a must have.
>
> I use VirtualBox on a Mac but can it run headless? Any other proposals?

VBox runs great headless. I start three VMs at boot time, all over VRDP.
Highly recommended. You can migrate it to other systems if you want, too.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:39 AM
Petri Rosenström

Hi,

if you are not afraid of the command line I would recommend KVM. I use
it for my virtualization needs. When you don't want the sdl window you
may use the -vnc switch. -daemonize switch is great for running in the
backgroud. the -balloon switch is great for memory savings, I
recommend KSM in your kernel also.

Petri Rosenström

Old 08-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Konstantinos Agouros

In <AANLkTi=c4GB3GUB=3zeEdAk-D6n9sJreXC6o2DhXv4j8@mail.gmail.com> petri.rosenstrom@gmail.com (=?UTF-8?Q?Petri_Rosenstr=C3=B6m?=) writes:

Hello,

does it work with a CPU that does not have the svm (I run on AMD)?

Konstantin

Old 08-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Petri Rosenström

I think it requires HVM ( egrep '^flags.*(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo )
from the CPU. So if kvm doesn't work you may use your VMs with qemu.
Qemu/kvm supports VMware disc format so you might be able to use your
old VMs without much effort.

Petri Rosenström

Old 08-28-2010, 07:09 PM
walt

I think it requires HVM ( egrep '^flags.*(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo )
from the CPU. So if kvm doesn't work you may use your VMs with qemu.
Qemu/kvm supports VMware disc format so you might be able to use your
old VMs without much effort.

I find that vbox is *much* faster than qemu in the absence of hardware
virtualization support. The vbox devs say their graphics driver is what
makes it faster.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Petri Rosenström

Well I haven't done any testing, but I have a feeling that using
virtio drivers makes qemu faster. But I agree that using a desktop is
faster with vbox. Atleast using the mouse

Petri Rosenström