FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-27-2010, 04:10 PM
"J. Roeleveld"
 
Default Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers

On Friday 27 August 2010 18:03:51 Bill Longman wrote:
> On 08/27/2010 01:50 AM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> > On 08/27/2010 10:37 AM, Dale wrote:

<Snipped>

> Yet another way to use labels:
>
> When you make the filesystem, apply the name then i.e.:
>
> mke2fs -j -L SpeedySSD /dev/sde1
>
> then in your /etc/fstab use the label like this:
>
> LABEL=SpeedySSD /usr/home ext3 relatime 0 2

I don't think Dale (The OT) would like to have to reformat his partitions just
to get this to work

--
Joost
 
Old 08-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Bill Longman
 
Default Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers

On 08/27/2010 09:06 AM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 08/27/2010 07:02 PM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
>> On Friday 27 August 2010 17:57:01 Bill Longman wrote:
>>> On 08/27/2010 01:10 AM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
>>>> On Friday 27 August 2010 09:49:41 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>>>> Anyway, make sure you have a bootable Linux CD/DVD handy. That
>>>>> way, you
>>>>> won't be able to blow anything up and can boot from it in order to
>>>>> change your /etc/fstab and grub conf.
>>>>
>>>> Alternatively, give your partitions Labels and reconfigure
>>>> /etc/fstab to
>>>> use those.
>>>> Then you don't have to worry about the changes to the device-names.
>>>
>>> I second Joost's recommendation. I don't think you can use labels on the
>>> kernel command line, so your grub will have to know for sure which
>>> device to boot.
>>
>> Actually, you can:
>> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-boot-rootfs/index.html
>>
>> (Read the section below "Use a label"):
>>
>> fstab:
>> LABEL=ROOT / ext3 defaults 1 1
>> LABEL=BOOT /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
>> LABEL=SWAP swap swap defaults 0 0
>> LABEL=HOME /home ext3 nosuid,auto 1 2
>
> This syntax never worked here. Always resulted in an unbootable system.
> Only the /dev/disk/by-label/ syntax works reliably.

What kernel drivers are you using?

Here's my fstab on my x64 box that has been booting perfectly for
months. And I boot it lots because it's my dev't box:

LABEL=boot /boot ext3 noauto,noatime 1 2
LABEL=root / ext3 relatime 0 1
LABEL=swap none swap sw 0 0
LABEL=usr /usr ext3 relatime 0 2
LABEL=var /var ext3 relatime 0 2
LABEL=opt /opt ext3 relatime 0 2
LABEL=home /home ext3 relatime 0 2
 
Old 08-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Bill Longman
 
Default Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers

On 08/27/2010 09:10 AM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On Friday 27 August 2010 18:03:51 Bill Longman wrote:
>> On 08/27/2010 01:50 AM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>> On 08/27/2010 10:37 AM, Dale wrote:
>
> <Snipped>
>
>> Yet another way to use labels:
>>
>> When you make the filesystem, apply the name then i.e.:
>>
>> mke2fs -j -L SpeedySSD /dev/sde1
>>
>> then in your /etc/fstab use the label like this:
>>
>> LABEL=SpeedySSD /usr/home ext3 relatime 0 2
>
> I don't think Dale (The OT) would like to have to reformat his partitions just
> to get this to work

:-)

I thought, too, (of course *after* I had pressed "SEND") that I should
have switched those two sentences around. I do not mean to imply that
you have to zap all your data to use labels. That would really drive
people away from Gentoo, wouldn't it? (I'll be right there, honey, I
just have to reformat my boot partition!)

Please read these as two completely separate and independent examples,
one for how to set them up in the first place and second, how to apply them.
 
Old 08-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Bill Longman
 
Default Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers

On 08/27/2010 09:06 AM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 08/27/2010 07:02 PM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
>> Actually, you can:
>> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-boot-rootfs/index.html

And this is similar to the syntax in the kernel's
Documentation/intel_txt.txt file.

>> (Read the section below "Use a label"):
>>
>> fstab:
>> LABEL=ROOT / ext3 defaults 1 1
>> LABEL=BOOT /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
>> LABEL=SWAP swap swap defaults 0 0
>> LABEL=HOME /home ext3 nosuid,auto 1 2
>
> This syntax never worked here. Always resulted in an unbootable system.
> Only the /dev/disk/by-label/ syntax works reliably.

Are you using ReiserFS, Nikos? It works wonders with ext.
 
Old 08-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Dale
 
Default Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers

Bill Longman wrote:

On 08/27/2010 09:10 AM, J. Roeleveld wrote:


On Friday 27 August 2010 18:03:51 Bill Longman wrote:


On 08/27/2010 01:50 AM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:


On 08/27/2010 10:37 AM, Dale wrote:


<Snipped>



Yet another way to use labels:

When you make the filesystem, apply the name then i.e.:

mke2fs -j -L SpeedySSD /dev/sde1

then in your /etc/fstab use the label like this:

LABEL=SpeedySSD /usr/home ext3 relatime 0 2


I don't think Dale (The OT) would like to have to reformat his partitions just
to get this to work


:-)

I thought, too, (of course *after* I had pressed "SEND") that I should
have switched those two sentences around. I do not mean to imply that
you have to zap all your data to use labels. That would really drive
people away from Gentoo, wouldn't it? (I'll be right there, honey, I
just have to reformat my boot partition!)

Please read these as two completely separate and independent examples,
one for how to set them up in the first place and second, how to apply them.




I knew what you meant tho. That was the best part of reading that.
They should put this in the install guide.


Dale

:-) :-)
 
Old 08-27-2010, 11:06 PM
Mick
 
Default Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers

On Friday 27 August 2010 11:21:08 Dale wrote:
> J. Roeleveld wrote:
> > On Friday 27 August 2010 11:49:00 Dale wrote:
> >> J. Roeleveld wrote:
> >>
> >> Hmmm, I use resierfs for my file systems, most of them anyway. I still
> >> use e2fsprogs to change those?
> >
> > Nope:
> > eve ~ # reiserfstune --help
> > reiserfstune: unrecognized option '--help'
> > reiserfstune: Usage: reiserfstune [options] device [block-count]
> >
> > Options:
> > -j | --journal-device file current journal device
> > --journal-new-device file new journal device
> > -o | --journal-new-offset N new journal offset in blocks
> > -s | --journal-new-size N new journal size in blocks
> > -t | --trans-max-size N new journal max transaction size in
> > blocks --no-journal-available current journal is not available
> > --make-journal-standard new journal to be standard
> > -b | --add-badblocks file add to bad block list
> > -B | --badblocks file set the bad block list
> > -u | --uuid UUID|random set new UUID
> > -l | --label LABEL set new label
> > -f | --force force tuning, less confirmations
> > -V print version and exit
> >
> > IOW (as example):
> > reiserfstune -l ROOTDISK /dev/hda1
> >
> >> Is there a way to boot a Gentoo/Knoppix CD and make it use the PATA
> >> drivers? That way I can boot it and see exactly how it will name them
> >> and what drive is what without actually changing anything at all. Is
> >> there a boot option "noide" or some other switch I can use?
> >
> > Afraid not.
> > The naming scheme is, officially, not constant and can change with
> > reboots.
> >
> > On my server, with hotswap, I get different device-names when I remove a
> > disk and plug it back in.
> > Eg. /dev/sdb -> /dev/sdj
> > (as example)
> > Don't think you'll have that particular issue, but having these names
> > change between reboots is possible. Especially if a drive fails and is
> > not found during boot or a new drive is added.
> >
> > Not tested, but I believe USB-drives might also get pushed into the mix?
> >
> > --
> > Joost
>
> I do know the USB stuff changes but I wasn't sure about the others. I
> would think the main drives in a system would come first but one could
> never make that promise. I'm giving serious thought to using the
> labels. It would also mean that I don't have to remember what partition
> is what. Currently I would mount and then list what is in the directory
> to see what is in it and figure out what it is. With the labels
> feature, even fdisk would tell me what is what.
>
> This would be a good time to move the OS to a new drive. If things work
> out, run from the new drive. If things blow up, boot the old drive with
> the old kernel, old fstab and other settings.

While on the topic of labels, is there a way to change the label of a reiser4
partition, *after* it has been created? I rebuilt two partitions and forgot
to relabel them ...
--
Regards,
Mick
 
Old 08-28-2010, 12:27 AM
Stroller
 
Default Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers

On 28 Aug 2010, at 00:06, Mick wrote:

On Friday 27 August 2010 11:21:08 Dale wrote:

J. Roeleveld wrote:

On Friday 27 August 2010 11:49:00 Dale wrote:

J. Roeleveld wrote:

Hmmm, I use resierfs for my file systems, most of them anyway. I
still

use e2fsprogs to change those?


Nope:
eve ~ # reiserfstune --help
reiserfstune: unrecognized option '--help'
reiserfstune: Usage: reiserfstune [options] device [block-count]

Options:
-j | --journal-device file current journal device
--journal-new-device file new journal device
-o | --journal-new-offset N new journal offset in blocks
-s | --journal-new-size N new journal size in blocks
-t | --trans-max-size N new journal max transaction size in
blocks --no-journal-available current journal is not
available

--make-journal-standard new journal to be standard
-b | --add-badblocks file add to bad block list
-B | --badblocks file set the bad block list
-u | --uuid UUID|random set new UUID
-l | --label LABEL set new label
-f | --force force tuning, less confirmations
-V print version and exit

IOW (as example):
reiserfstune -l ROOTDISK /dev/hda1


...
While on the topic of labels, is there a way to change the label of
a reiser4
partition, *after* it has been created? I rebuilt two partitions
and forgot

to relabel them ...


Isn't the answer to that in the stuff you quoted?

Surely one can use reiserfstune without damaging the filesystem?
 
Old 08-28-2010, 12:33 AM
Stroller
 
Default Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers

On 27 Aug 2010, at 17:06, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:


On 08/27/2010 07:02 PM, J. Roeleveld wrote:

On Friday 27 August 2010 17:57:01 Bill Longman wrote:

On 08/27/2010 01:10 AM, J. Roeleveld wrote:

On Friday 27 August 2010 09:49:41 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
Anyway, make sure you have a bootable Linux CD/DVD handy. That
way, you

won't be able to blow anything up and can boot from it in order to
change your /etc/fstab and grub conf.


Alternatively, give your partitions Labels and reconfigure /etc/
fstab to

use those.
Then you don't have to worry about the changes to the device-names.


I second Joost's recommendation. I don't think you can use labels
on the

kernel command line, so your grub will have to know for sure which
device to boot.


Actually, you can:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-boot-rootfs/index.html

(Read the section below "Use a label"):

fstab:
LABEL=ROOT / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=BOOT /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
LABEL=SWAP swap swap defaults 0 0
LABEL=HOME /home ext3 nosuid,auto 1 2


This syntax never worked here. Always resulted in an unbootable
system. Only the /dev/disk/by-label/ syntax works reliably.


Because you need to use the `root=/dev/sdaX` format in GRUB?

I think an appropriate initrd/initramfs is required - I'm not sure if
there are any other requirements - to use labels in GRUB. I think it's
common to do things this way on RedHat systems, maybe with some other
distros - that's what fouled me up when I tried using labels in GRUB;
I just found grub.conf examples using them, and was unaware of this
requirement.



Stroller.
 
Old 08-28-2010, 02:04 AM
Daniel Pielmeier
 
Default Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers

Nikos Chantziaras schrieb am 27.08.2010 18:06:
> On 08/27/2010 07:02 PM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
>>
>> Actually, you can:
>> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-boot-rootfs/index.html
>>
>> (Read the section below "Use a label"):
>>
>> fstab:
>> LABEL=ROOT / ext3 defaults 1 1
>> LABEL=BOOT /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
>> LABEL=SWAP swap swap defaults 0 0
>> LABEL=HOME /home ext3 nosuid,auto 1 2
>
> This syntax never worked here. Always resulted in an unbootable system.
> Only the /dev/disk/by-label/ syntax works reliably.
>

Afaik if you are using GRUB LEGACY (0.97) and want to use LABEL/UUID in
your grub.conf/menu.lst you also need an initrd. I think with GRUB 2
(1.98) it is possible without. You don't need an initrd for LABEL/UUID
in /etc/fstab for both cases.

--
Daniel Pielmeier
 
Old 08-28-2010, 03:43 AM
Dale
 
Default Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers

Stroller wrote:


On 28 Aug 2010, at 00:06, Mick wrote:

On Friday 27 August 2010 11:21:08 Dale wrote:

J. Roeleveld wrote:

On Friday 27 August 2010 11:49:00 Dale wrote:

J. Roeleveld wrote:

Hmmm, I use resierfs for my file systems, most of them anyway. I
still

use e2fsprogs to change those?


Nope:
eve ~ # reiserfstune --help
reiserfstune: unrecognized option '--help'
reiserfstune: Usage: reiserfstune [options] device [block-count]

Options:
-j | --journal-device file current journal device
--journal-new-device file new journal device
-o | --journal-new-offset N new journal offset in blocks
-s | --journal-new-size N new journal size in blocks
-t | --trans-max-size N new journal max transaction size in
blocks --no-journal-available current journal is not
available

--make-journal-standard new journal to be standard
-b | --add-badblocks file add to bad block list
-B | --badblocks file set the bad block list
-u | --uuid UUID|random set new UUID
-l | --label LABEL set new label
-f | --force force tuning, less confirmations
-V print version and exit

IOW (as example):
reiserfstune -l ROOTDISK /dev/hda1


...
While on the topic of labels, is there a way to change the label of a
reiser4
partition, *after* it has been created? I rebuilt two partitions and
forgot

to relabel them ...


Isn't the answer to that in the stuff you quoted?

Surely one can use reiserfstune without damaging the filesystem?




That could be asking a lot for me. lol I would think it could be
changed the same way it was set tho. reiserfstune -l LABEL


I got a lot of ideas here. o_O

Dale

:-) :-)
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:31 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org