Old 08-26-2010, 07:24 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Firefox (Namoroka-3.6.8, actually) and Epiphany-2.31-r1 both fail to show captchas

On a number of websites, I've been unable to see the "captcha" that I need to complete my business.* Neither the image nor the response show up.

Opera, on the other hand, works fine (as does IE on my Windoze laptop).

For instance, I can register (it's free) with the NY Times, read an article (example: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/26/world/asia/26kabul.html) but if I try to email this to anyone using the link that appears on the page, I'm confronted with a dialog that should have a captcha and a box for my answer.* It does not appear, and I cannot proceed.*

Konqueror gives me unrelated trouble, which I'm still working on -- I don't use it in general so I'm not surprised, but I cannot say what it does with captchas.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 08-26-2010, 08:29 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On a number of websites, I've been unable to see the "captcha" that I need
> to complete my business.* Neither the image nor the response show up.
>
> Opera, on the other hand, works fine (as does IE on my Windoze laptop).
>
> For instance, I can register (it's free) with the NY Times, read an article
> (example: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/26/world/asia/26kabul.html) but if
> I try to email this to anyone using the link that appears on the page, I'm
> confronted with a dialog that should have a captcha and a box for my
> answer.* It does not appear, and I cannot proceed.

I can't try that page because it requires an account to email to
someone else. But, in general, my first suspects would be if you're
using NoScript or AdBlockPlus and perhaps they are not allowing the
javascript from the captcha service to run.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:17 AM
Michael Orlitzky

On a number of websites, I've been unable to see the "captcha" that I need
to complete my business. Neither the image nor the response show up.

Opera, on the other hand, works fine (as does IE on my Windoze laptop).

For instance, I can register (it's free) with the NY Times, read an article
(example: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/26/world/asia/26kabul.html) but if
I try to email this to anyone using the link that appears on the page, I'm
confronted with a dialog that should have a captcha and a box for my
answer. It does not appear, and I cannot proceed.

I can't try that page because it requires an account to email to
someone else. But, in general, my first suspects would be if you're
using NoScript or AdBlockPlus and perhaps they are not allowing the
javascript from the captcha service to run.

I just emailed myself that article, and there was no Captcha? Only had
to disable NoScript to get the "E-mail" popup to show.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:02 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

[...]

That's normal.* I hadn't noticed, but the captcha does not appear until you type something in the message box of the email popup.* On the systems with the fault, all I see is a message: "Word verification prevents automated systems from adding spam messages to your email."

On Opera or IE, one also sees the captcha and a field to fill out.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD