Old 08-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Jarry

Default Apache crashed, what could be the reason?

Hi,

I could not connect to my web-page so I logged in to the server
just to find appache was simply not running. I started checking
logs and the only thing which I find suspicious are these messages
in /var/log/apache2/error_log :

-----------------
6 times:
[Thu Aug 26 13:59:16 2010] [alert] (11)Resource temporarily unavailable:
setuid: unable to change to uid: 81

[Thu Aug 26 13:59:16 2010] [alert] Child 20303 returned a Fatal error...
Apache is exiting!

~30 times:
[Thu Aug 26 13:59:16 2010] [emerg] (43)Identifier removed: couldn't grab
the accept mutex

~50 times:
[Thu Aug 26 13:59:16 2010] [emerg] (22)Invalid argument: couldn't grab
the accept mutex

[Thu Aug 26 13:59:42 2010] [emerg] (22)Invalid argument: couldn't
release the accept mutex

-----------------

Except for that, only common scannings for phpMyAdmin, myadmin, pma,
mysql, scripts, etc. Nothing more. Any ideas why apache died?

Apart from that, nothing seems to be damaged. I started apache
as usuall, database is consistent, web-site is up & running.
But naturally, I do not want to see this happen again...

BTW, the system is stable amd64, with apache 2.2.15:
USE="ssl -debug -doc -ldap (-selinux) -static -suexec -threads"
APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon
authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default
authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi
cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter
file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime
mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir
usertrack vhost_alias -asis -auth_digest -authn_dbd -cern_meta
-charset_lite -dbd -dumpio -ident -imagemap -log_forensic -proxy
-proxy_ajp -proxy_balancer -proxy_connect -proxy_ftp -proxy_http
-substitute -version" APACHE2_MPMS="-event -itk -peruser -prefork -worker"

Jarry

Old 08-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Kyle Bader

> Except for that, only common scannings for phpMyAdmin, myadmin, pma,
> mysql, scripts, etc. Nothing more. Any ideas why apache died?

I noticed you have mod_dav & mod_cache and are running 2.2.15, perhaps
it's this?

http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2010-1452

--

Kyle