Old 08-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Al

Default ebuilds and overlay

Hello!

I created my first overlay and want to patch the sys-devel/binutils
package. In this package I not only find one ebuild, but a list of
different versions.

Do this versions depend on each other so that I all have to copy them
into my overlay?
Or can I simply start with the latest one?

Al

Old 08-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Al

2010/8/26 Al <oss.elmar@googlemail.com>:
> Hello!
>
> I created my first overlay and want to patch the sys-devel/binutils
> package. In this package I not only find one ebuild, but a list of
> different versions.
>
> Do this versions depend on each other so that I all have to copy them
> into my overlay?
> Or can I simply start with the latest one?
>
> Al

Ok, learning by trying. Threw away all older stuff and used the latest
version. Seems to work.

Al

Old 08-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Florian CROUZAT

On 26 août 2010, at 20:11, Al wrote:

> 2010/8/26 Al <oss.elmar@googlemail.com>:
>
> Ok, learning by trying. Threw away all older stuff and used the latest
> version. Seems to work.
>
> Al

Have you thought to join IRC ? You've sent more than 70 mails both to gentoo-{user,alt} in less than a week.
Most of them could be discussed and answered directly on IRC and doesn't require to CC the world.

Just sayin'

-----
Florian.
/ For security reasons, all text in this mail
is double-rot13 encrypted. /

Old 08-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Al

> Have you thought to join IRC ? You've sent more than 70 mails both to gentoo-{user,alt} in less than a week.
> Most of them could be discussed and answered directly on IRC and doesn't require to CC the world.

Hi Florian,

yes, I am hard working to get started with this new stuff.

From other communities I am educated to prefer lists over IRC even if
IRC usually faster. Lists result in a searchable knowlage base. You
can't say the same from the noise of on IRC channels.

However, if you consider IRC the preferred style of gentoo I can switch.

Al

Old 08-26-2010, 06:53 PM
Florian CROUZAT

On 26 août 2010, at 20:48, Al wrote:

> Hi Florian,

Hey.

> yes, I am hard working to get started with this new stuff.

Cheers

> From other communities I am educated to prefer lists over IRC even if
> IRC usually faster. Lists result in a searchable knowlage base. You
> can't say the same from the noise of on IRC channels.

No probs.

> However, if you consider IRC the preferred style of gentoo I can switch.

No it isn't but some of your questions belong there, especially this last one about ebuilds & overlay.

Cheers.

-----

Old 08-26-2010, 06:54 PM
"J. Roeleveld"

On Thursday 26 August 2010 20:48:17 Al wrote:
> > Have you thought to join IRC ? You've sent more than 70 mails both to
> > gentoo-{user,alt} in less than a week. Most of them could be discussed
> > and answered directly on IRC and doesn't require to CC the world.
>
> Hi Florian,
>
> yes, I am hard working to get started with this new stuff.
>
> From other communities I am educated to prefer lists over IRC even if
> IRC usually faster. Lists result in a searchable knowlage base. You
> can't say the same from the noise of on IRC channels.
>
> However, if you consider IRC the preferred style of gentoo I can switch.
>
> Al

Hi Al,

I agree with you, lists result in a searchable knowledge base and and is,
IMHO, preferred.

However, if you have a very urgent issue, IRC might be more suitable, but then
people will keep hitting the same issue and asking the same questions because
these are not searchable.

--
Joost

Old 08-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Al

> However, if you have a very urgent issue, IRC might be more suitable, but then
> people will keep hitting the same issue and asking the same questions because
> these are not searchable.

That is also the reason why I tend also to answer or summarize even my
own questions, like in this case.

A question without an answer is worthless as database. A question with
an answer, saves many postings in the future, even if it results in
one additional posting. Before I ask any question I always try to find
an answer by the search machines first.

Unfortunately if the question is rather common and stupid, but has few
specific search words, it is difficult to find a previous answer, even
if answered a thousand times before. That is thing Florian want's to
point out. Such a question better goes to IRC.

Al