Old 08-26-2010, 01:53 AM
Michael Orlitzky

Default Feckless xdm not much of a manager

On 08/25/2010 03:37 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

I had more or less the opposite case -- a running daemon that was marked
as stopped.
Not exactly, because it was xdm marked as stopped, and kdm that was running.

This problem is repeatable on my system, so I probably borked it somehow.

Please accept this wild-ass guess from when my Apache instances used to
do the same thing.

/etc/conf.d/rc
--------------
# Set to "yes" if start-stop-daemon should attempt to kill
# any children left in the system.
# Be careful with this as it really does what it was on the tin.
# fex, if you're in an ssh process and you restart a service on which
# ssh depends then your terminal will be killed also.

RC_KILL_CHILDREN="yes"

Old 08-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Bill Longman

On 08/25/2010 01:40 PM, Robert Bridge wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 8:33 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sorry, but that has several bits of misinformation.
>>
>> "xdm" is not a generic term, or at least I didn't mean it that way. It's the
>> package x11-apps/xdm.
>
> Gentoo uses the term xdm in two ways, one is for the xdm display
> manager, provided by that package. The other is for the init scripts
> used to launch a display manager. The init script launches the display
> manager specified in the config files, kdm being the common one
> choosen for KDE.

You put it very well, Robbie. I should have said xdm is the more
"ancient" term, the generic display manager that's been around since the
dawn of X. Which everyone hated. So folks wrote new ones that had more
pizazz and nifty features, which they loved. They're all still X display
managers (thus, xdm), so you use xdm to start it. One of your display
managers could be ye olde xdm, if you choose.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:07 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"