Old 08-24-2010, 11:44 PM
Blackdream W

Default Is there any games base on openCL?

I install the ati-drivers-10.7.1 just now,this version it seem support openCL 1.1.

Any games base on it?

Thanks.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Wednesday 25 August 2010, Blackdream W wrote:
> I install the ati-drivers-10.7.1 just now,this version it seem support
> openCL 1.1.
>
> Any games base on it?
>
> Thanks.

games can not be based on opencl. Games might be able to use opencl to speed
up certain kinds of calculations. But you can not 'use' opencl like opengl to
base a game on it.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:24 AM
Blackdream W

Sorry..I don't know how to describe it clearly, with my poor English...

Old 08-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Thursday 26 August 2010, Blackdream W wrote:
> Sorry..I don't know how to describe it clearly, with my poor English...

everybody's Eglish is poor English

Old 08-27-2010, 08:31 AM
Stroller

I install the ati-drivers-10.7.1 just now,this version it seem
support

openCL 1.1.

Any games base on it?

Thanks.

games can not be based on opencl. Games might be able to use opencl
tospeedup certain kinds of calculations. But you can not 'use'
opencl like opengltobase a game on it.

Sorry..I don't know how to describe it clearly, with my poor
English...

My understanding is that OpenCL is mostly useful for scientific
applications and things like WPA cracking. It allows access to
graphics card processing in a way that is *not* dependent on sending
the results to video.

That's quite different from the need, in gaming, to send high-quality
output to the screen. In gaming the CPUs are about adequate for things
like deciding where the bad guys should hide or if your spaceship can
carry the selected quantity of cargo. So in gaming it's desirable to
dedicate the graphics card to making the screen look pretty, and there
is no use for OpenCL.

The exception to this is that OpenCL type stuff *might* be used for
physics simulations in games - I've seen demonstrations in which the
PhysX engine is used to model a rockfall or avalanche more accurately,
so that more rocks can be shown on screen at once time. Flying through
an asteroid field or the debris of an exploded enemy fighter might be
better modelled using something like OpenCL. However I doubt that
there are many Linux-based games that can use this kind of acceleration.

Is it possible you were thinking of OpenGL?

Also: please don't top-post, at least when the person you're replying
to has posted underneath some quoted text.

Stroller.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:54 AM
Nikos Chantziaras