Old 08-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Alan Warren

Default system lag with gentoo-sources-2.6.35-r2

Hello,

I am having some system performance issues with this kernel release. I have a SMP machine (dual xeon nehalem 8 core / 16 threads) with 24gb non-ecc memory.

On occasion (seems random so far) my system feels like a Pentium II trying to cope with Vista. For example, I was in the middle of tar'ing a semi-large file and noticed all of my apps came to a crawl. Scrolling in firefox, typing in the terminal, or trying to navigate in my file manager resulted in breif "pauses" that came in waves. On one occasion my system froze completely and I had to manually reset the machine. (that was with 2.6.35-r1)

I didn't activate anything "new" in this kernel release that I don't normally activate. ie, no cpuidle driver

Is there a proper venu for debugging such matters, or should I just wait for this kernel to go prime-time?

Thanks for your time,
Alan

Old 08-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Robert Bridge

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Alan Warren <bluemoonshine@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a proper venu for debugging such matters, or should I just wait for
> this kernel to go prime-time?

Can you reliably reproduce the problem? If so, and you have a kernel
that works git-bisect should allow you to pinpoint the offending
commit.

By the sounds of it though, this could be related to the problems
Linux has when under heavy I/O, in which case you best bet would be to
look to the upstream git as there are supposed to be fixes in it.

Cheers,
RobbieAB.