Old 11-24-2007, 03:38 PM
econti

Default KDE password

Hi all,
to-day I wanted ro emerge kdebase-kioslaves. To do so I had to unmerge
kdebase, then to emerge again every single application of kdebase:
konqueror, konsole, kate, kcontrol, kdm, etc.

Now I am not able to login anymore!!!!
Neither as root nor as user.
I tried to set a new password on console using "passwd" with no result.

Regards
emilio

Old 11-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Samstag 24 November 2007 schrieb econti:
> Hi all,
> to-day I wanted ro emerge kdebase-kioslaves.

Why?

> To do so I had to unmerge kdebase,

Why?

> then to emerge again every single application of kdebase:
> konqueror, konsole, kate, kcontrol, kdm, etc.

Why?

> Now I am not able to login anymore!!!!

Error message? What happens _exactly_???

> Neither as root nor as user.
> I tried to set a new password on console using "passwd" with no result.

You couldn't change the password, or still couldn't login?

Bye...

Dirk

Old 11-24-2007, 06:41 PM
econti

Dirk Heinrichs ha scritto:

to-day I wanted ro emerge kdebase-kioslaves.

Why?

To do so I had to unmerge kdebase,

Why?

then to emerge again every single application of kdebase:
konqueror, konsole, kate, kcontrol, kdm, etc.

Why?

Now I am not able to login anymore!!!!

Error message? What happens _exactly_???

Neither as root nor as user.
I tried to set a new password on console using "passwd" with no result.

You couldn't change the password, or still couldn't login?

Bye...

Dirk

I was able to change the password, but the new password did not work on kdm.

So . . . I unmerged all the single app, unmerged kdebase-kioslaves and
emerged kdebase.

Now all works as before.

Thank you

emilio

Old 11-24-2007, 06:54 PM
"Anno v. Heimburg"

econti wrote:

> So . . . I unmerged all the single app, unmerged kdebase-kioslaves and
> emerged kdebase.
> Now all works as before.

Wait, I don't get it. You have the single, all-in-one kdebase package
installed (which, to the best of my knowledge, includes all kdebase-*
packages), yet you emerge kdebase-kioslaves? Why? With KDE, either you go
for the all-in-one-big-honking-package approach (kdebase proper), or you
cherry pick what you need from the split packages (the kdebase-* packages).
Same goes for the other kde core packages. If you want to switch from one
big package to several small ones to save on recompiles for small updates,
use kdebase-meta, which installs all of the kdebase split packages.
Installing both the big kdebase package and the split packages makes no
sense, IIRC.

Me, I have all kdebase-* packages installed, but not kdebase.

Anno.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:43 PM
econti

Anno v. Heimburg ha scritto:

econti wrote:

So . . . I unmerged all the single app, unmerged kdebase-kioslaves and
emerged kdebase.
Now all works as before.

Wait, I don't get it. You have the single, all-in-one kdebase package
installed (which, to the best of my knowledge, includes all kdebase-*
packages), yet you emerge kdebase-kioslaves? Why?

Because I did not know that kioslaves is in kdebase! ;-(

Ciao
emilio