Old 08-21-2010, 06:19 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default key validation

Hi guys,

I need key validation routines for my authentication systems. Web front ends
are not my strong point so I'm not in much of a position to do a through
evaluation. I'm looking for recommendations from folk who have done this.

The authenticates to a website using two factor auth (not key based) and
uploads a public key, which then gets put everywhere it needs to go. The
validations I'd like to do:

1. server side: convert the key to openssh format and check that it's a valid
key, correct type and strong enough.

2. Browser side: check if user entered a private key and refuse to upload it.
Check matching private key and refuse to upload public key till private key is
passphrase-protected with strong enough encryption. Don't require user to
enter passphrase.

I must support SSH protocol 1 for an ancient legacy site or two. And I'm in
the very happy position of being able to tell users "You will use Firefox|
Chrome|Opera for this" if that's what it takes :-)

The web app will be built using django.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com