Old 08-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Dale

Default --buildpkg and doing a dry run on a upgrade

Hi,

I'm wanting to install the latest KDE 4.5 which is in the kde overlay.
I got everything unmasked, keyworded and ready to go. Since this is a
large upgrade and will take some time to compile, I would like to just
build the binaries then come back and install them when the compiling is
all done. The emerge man page says this:

--buildpkgonly (-B)
Creates binary packages for all ebuilds processed without actually
merging the packages. This comes with the caveat that all build-time
dependencies must already be emerged on the system.

The part that I have a question on is the dependencies. Will portage be
able to build all the packages when the previous packages are not
installed yet? My thinking says this won't work but looking for a
second opinion from a more "seasoned" guru.

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 08-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Alex Schuster

Dale writes:

> I'm wanting to install the latest KDE 4.5 which is in the kde overlay.
> I got everything unmasked, keyworded and ready to go. Since this is a
> large upgrade and will take some time to compile, I would like to just
> build the binaries then come back and install them when the compiling
> is all done. The emerge man page says this:
>
> --buildpkgonly (-B)
> Creates binary packages for all ebuilds processed without actually
> merging the packages. This comes with the caveat that all
> build-time dependencies must already be emerged on the system.
>
> The part that I have a question on is the dependencies. Will portage
> be able to build all the packages when the previous packages are not
> installed yet? My thinking says this won't work but looking for a
> second opinion from a more "seasoned" guru.

I'm no guru, but I'm very sure it won't work.

You could do this on a second machine, or in a chroot, or in a virtual
machine, and then distribute the binary packages. Which would be quite
some additional work.

I'm running KDe 4.5, and it works fine. That is, there are fewer new bugs
for me than were fixed.

Wonko

Old 08-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Dale

Alex Schuster wrote:

Dale writes:

[...]

Well, I bit the bullet and hit Y. This is what portage told me:

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] y

!!! --buildpkgonly requires all dependencies to be merged.
!!! Cannot merge requested packages. Merge deps and try again.

root@smoker / #

You're right. It ain't going to work. Now we know.

Thinking about copying my install to a second drive and installing it
there. I can do it in a chroot and have a fall back install in case it
borks, pukes or has some other kind of failure. I might add, it puked
yesterday. I had no GUI for a while. It even killed kdm. I had to
unmerge some packages to get rid of blocks then revert back to the old
stable KDE to get a GUI.

Yea, the keyboard was working and this was not hal related. lol I just
wanted to get that out of the way before things got out of hand. ;-)

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 08-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 12:57 on Saturday 21 August 2010, Dale did
opine thusly:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wanting to install the latest KDE 4.5 which is in the kde overlay.
> I got everything unmasked, keyworded and ready to go. Since this is a
> large upgrade and will take some time to compile, I would like to just
> build the binaries then come back and install them when the compiling is
> all done. The emerge man page says this:
>
> --buildpkgonly (-B)
> Creates binary packages for all ebuilds processed without actually
> merging the packages. This comes with the caveat that all build-time
> dependencies must already be emerged on the system.
>
> The part that I have a question on is the dependencies. Will portage be
> able to build all the packages when the previous packages are not
> installed yet? My thinking says this won't work but looking for a
> second opinion from a more "seasoned" guru.

Here's excellent advice:

Do not install KDE-4.5 yet

wait for 4.5.1

First, it's in an overlay, so when 4.5 hits the tree you will unmerge the
whole lot again and redo it. How many spare cycles you got?

If you have 4.4.5 installed from portage you will likely hit clashes with the
overlay. There's were never pleasant in the 4.[23] era, I don't see that
changing.

4.5.0 has some pretty severe regressions, bad enough for QA to not put it in
the tree

4.5.0 does not have the kdepim suite - this might not apply to you. I can just
imagine the akonadi updates when 4.5.1 hits the tree....

You gotta ask yourself "Is there a COMPELLING need for 4.5.0 other than it's
brand new and shiny?"

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 08-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:

[...]

I did some googlin last night and ran across some blog. I think it was
on KDE's website but anyway. The blog said about the same thing you
said. It appears to be a . . . . mess. ;-)

Any idea when 4.5.1 will be in the tree even if masked/keyworded?

Dale

:-) :-)

< Dale is going to remove the overlay now >

Old 08-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 22:18 on Saturday 21 August 2010, Dale did
opine thusly:

> > Here's excellent advice:
> >
> > Do not install KDE-4.5 yet
> >
> > wait for 4.5.1
> >
> > First, it's in an overlay, so when 4.5 hits the tree you will unmerge the
> > whole lot again and redo it. How many spare cycles you got?
> >
> > If you have 4.4.5 installed from portage you will likely hit clashes with
> > the overlay. There's were never pleasant in the 4.[23] era, I don't see
> > that changing.
> >
> > 4.5.0 has some pretty severe regressions, bad enough for QA to not put it
> > in the tree
> >
> > 4.5.0 does not have the kdepim suite - this might not apply to you. I can
> > just imagine the akonadi updates when 4.5.1 hits the tree....
> >
> > You gotta ask yourself "Is there a COMPELLING need for 4.5.0 other than
> > it's brand new and shiny?"
>
> I did some googlin last night and ran across some blog. I think it was
> on KDE's website but anyway. The blog said about the same thing you
> said. It appears to be a . . . . mess. ;-)
>
> Any idea when 4.5.1 will be in the tree even if masked/keyworded?

You can expect 4.5.1 to be released by KDE about a month after 4.5.0.
If it goes into the tree that will take about 3 days or so.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com