-   -   DHCPCD and nameserver (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/416044-dhcpcd-nameserver.html)

Dale 08-21-2010 06:16 AM

DHCPCD and nameserver

Hi folks,

I'm trying to get my nameserver setting to stick in resolv.conf when I
restart the network or reboot. Layman will not work with my ISP's DNS
server for some crazy reason. Anyway, I have this in /etc/conf.d/net file:

modules="dhcpcd"
config_eth2="dhcp"
dns_servers_eth2="nameserver 8.8.8.8 nameserver 8.8.4.4"

As you can see I need it set to 8.8.8.8 but it doesn't seem to see my
setting. After I restart my network, it updates resolv.conf to this:

root@smoker / # cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by dhcpcd from eth2
# /etc/resolv.conf.head can replace this line
nameserver 192.168.1.254
# /etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line
root@smoker / #

I have read some example files and I think I have it set correctly but
maybe something moved or I am missing something else.

Ideas? Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)

Jorge Almeida 08-21-2010 08:16 AM

DHCPCD and nameserver

> I'm trying to get my nameserver setting to stick in resolv.conf when I
> restart the network or reboot. *Layman will not work with my ISP's DNS
> server for some crazy reason. *Anyway, I have this in /etc/conf.d/net file:

Dale,
if I understood correctly, you want to set the contents of
/etc/resolv.conf and don't want dhcp to overwrite ir. Right?

> modules="dhcpcd"
> config_eth2="dhcp"
> dns_servers_eth2="nameserver 8.8.8.8 nameserver 8.8.4.4"
>
> As you can see I need it set to 8.8.8.8 but it doesn't seem to see my
> setting. *After I restart my network, it updates resolv.conf to this:

I don't know about dhcpcd, but I'm using dhclient, and it works like this:
$cat /etc/resolv.conf
config_eth0=("dhcp")
modules_eth0=("dhclient")
dhcp_eth0="nodns"

I'm not sure the last line is necessary.
Then:

$ cat /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf
append option domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1

Substitute 127.0.0.1 by 8.8.8.8

HTH

Jorge

Dale 08-21-2010 08:26 AM

DHCPCD and nameserver

Jorge Almeida wrote:

I'm trying to get my nameserver setting to stick in resolv.conf when I
restart the network or reboot. Layman will not work with my ISP's DNS
server for some crazy reason. Anyway, I have this in /etc/conf.d/net file:

Dale,
if I understood correctly, you want to set the contents of
/etc/resolv.conf and don't want dhcp to overwrite ir. Right?

Yep, that is what I want. DHCP just keeps overriding my file.

modules="dhcpcd"
config_eth2="dhcp"
dns_servers_eth2="nameserver 8.8.8.8 nameserver 8.8.4.4"

As you can see I need it set to 8.8.8.8 but it doesn't seem to see my
setting. After I restart my network, it updates resolv.conf to this:

I don't know about dhcpcd, but I'm using dhclient, and it works like this:
$cat /etc/resolv.conf
config_eth0=("dhcp")
modules_eth0=("dhclient")
dhcp_eth0="nodns"

I'm not sure the last line is necessary.
Then:

$ cat /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf
append option domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1

Substitute 127.0.0.1 by 8.8.8.8

HTH

Jorge

I kept playing with this because I did it once before and knew it could
be done. I did finally figure out how to get it to work. It appears
the syntax has changed a little bit. This is what I ended up with after
some trial and error, maybe a little tooth pulling too. ;-) This is my
net file:

modules="dhcpcd"
config_eth2="dhcp"
dhcp_eth2="nodns"
dns_servers_eth2="8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4"

Now I get this in resolv.conf:

root@smoker / # cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by net-scripts for interface eth2
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

root@smoker / #

So, it's working now. It's not quite the same config as last time but
it works.

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)

Jorge Almeida 08-21-2010 08:50 AM

DHCPCD and nameserver

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 9:25 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I don't know about dhcpcd, but I'm using dhclient, and it works like this:
>> $cat /etc/resolv.conf

Oops... It was "cat /etc/conf.d/net"...

>> config_eth0=("dhcp")
>> modules_eth0=("dhclient")
>> dhcp_eth0="nodns"
>>

> I kept playing with this because I did it once before and knew it could be
> done. *I did finally figure out how to get it to work. *It appears the
> syntax has changed a little bit. *This is what I ended up with after some
> trial and error, maybe a little tooth pulling too. *;-) *This is my net
> file:
>
> modules="dhcpcd"
> config_eth2="dhcp"
> dhcp_eth2="nodns"
> dns_servers_eth2="8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4"
>
> Now I get this in resolv.conf:
>
> root@smoker / # cat /etc/resolv.conf
> # Generated by net-scripts for interface eth2
> nameserver 8.8.8.8
> nameserver 8.8.4.4
>
> root@smoker / #
>
> So, it's working now. *It's not quite the same config as last time but it
> works.

OK, now I know how to do it also with dhcpcd.
Cheers.

Jorge

Marc Joliet 08-21-2010 09:30 AM

DHCPCD and nameserver

Am Sat, 21 Aug 2010 09:15:26 +0059
schrieb Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@gmail.com>:

[...]
> I don't know about dhcpcd, but I'm using dhclient, and it works like this:
> $cat /etc/resolv.conf
> config_eth0=("dhcp")
> modules_eth0=("dhclient")
> dhcp_eth0="nodns"
>
> I'm not sure the last line is necessary.
> Then:
>
> $ cat /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf
> append option domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1
>
> Substitute 127.0.0.1 by 8.8.8.8

With dhcpcd you can do something similar. When I was setting up dnsmasq on my
system I found out you can create hooks for dhcpcd; for instance,
in /etc/dhcpcd.enter-hook I have (well, now "had"):

# Prepend localhost to the list of DNS servers
new_domain_name_servers="127.0.0.1 ${new_domain_name_servers}"

The resulting resolv.conf:

marcec marcec # cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by dhcpcd from eth0
# /etc/resolv.conf.head can replace this line
search huntemann.uni-oldenburg.de
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 192.168.0.250
# /etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line

However, the comments in resolv.conf indicate you you can create one or both of
/etc/resolv.conf.{head,tail}, which will be merged into /etc/resolv.conf
automatically! The resulting resolv.conf:

marcec marcec # cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by dhcpcd from eth0
# force localhost as first nameserver
nameserver 127.0.0.1
search huntemann.uni-oldenburg.de
nameserver 192.168.0.250
# /etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line

So both methods are slighly different. I think I'll stick with the latter now,
as I think it's more correct. However, I'm not sure whether this works with
other DHCP clients or just for dhcpcd.

> HTH
>
> Jorge

HTH
--
Marc Joliet

Dale 08-21-2010 10:24 PM

DHCPCD and nameserver

Marc Joliet wrote:

[...]

I read about the head/tail files but wasn't sure what they did or how it
worked. I need new glasses so I can see better. I spend more time
trying to read than being able to understand what I read. -_- <<==
That would be eyes closed.

I guess I could have created a head file and just put my prefs on top.
Thing is, I just removed the overlays so now I don't even need this.
lol Then again, those are faster than my ISPs servers. Still better off.

Thanks for the info. I learned something.

Dale

:-) :-)