Old 08-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Elmar Hinz

Default Installer Skript

Hello,

yesterday I was working on an installer skript for Gentoo.

What does it do?

* It does the basic installation until you can reboot and login.
* That includes formatting of the given partitions.
* That includes compiling a genkernel.
* It is developed and tested on Ubuntu.

What does it not do?

* It does not do partitioning itself.
* It does not install a boot manger. (I use that on my Ubuntu partition.)
* It does not set up wifi.

What is required?

You need at least a free partition of 5GB and a swap partition.
Optionally you can use a separate partition for portage.

Is anybody interested in testing the script? That is alpha software.

You should at least be able look into the script before you run it.
You know, it asks before, but then it does format your partitions. So
it can be quite dangerous, if you don't exactly know what you are
doing.

Al

Old 08-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Petri Rosenström

Hi,

dunno if I'm interested in testing it, but I have a similar script,
made mostly in bash. So if you made one also I'm interested in looking
into it (I might be able to copy something from it )

Petri Rosenström

Old 08-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Elmar Hinz

2010/8/21 Petri Rosenström <petri.rosenstrom@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> dunno if I'm interested in testing it, but I have a similar script,
> made mostly in bash. So if you made one also I'm interested in looking
> into it (I might be able to copy something from it )

Indeed, it is a naked bash script. The first sketch. So I assume yours
is already more advanced. I send my sketch by mail.

Do you plan to publish your script somewhere? Do you know of such a project?

Al