-   -   Parenthese (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/415906-parenthese.html)

Alan McKinnon 08-20-2010 08:14 PM

Parenthese

Apparently, though unproven, at 21:32 on Friday 20 August 2010, Alex Schuster
did opine thusly:

> Wow, what's going on here?
>
> Alan McKinnon writes:
> > Like Eskimo's with 20+ words for different kinds of snow.
> > Say "snow" to any Eskimo, see what happens :-)
>
> Actually, they have only two words for snow: qanik for falling snow and
> aput for lying snow.
>
> Wonko

Yeah, I've heard the argument and counter-arguments too. But I'm not Inuit and
don't speak their lingo.

The principle still stands though. Replace Eskimo and snow with English and
the massive litany of words encompassing "love and affection". There's way
more than 20 of those.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Peter Humphrey 08-21-2010 09:53 AM

Parenthese

On Friday 20 August 2010 21:14:00 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> I've heard the argument and counter-arguments too.

Thanks all for an entertaining discussion. Thanks also for not taking it
too seriously.

I'll subside now.

--
Rgds