Old 08-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Philip Webb

Default libacl mess : further thoughts

100820 Philip Webb wrote:
>> The next step seems to be to unpack the whole Stage 3 tarball
>> in the netbook's / dir & see what happens. After that, a full reinstall.

Further examination of what's in Stage 3
+ review of my detailed notes from installation last year suggest
that the correct attempt wb to unpack the tarball somewhere temporary,
then copy /bin /lib /sbin /usr /var into the existing set-up;
also to unpack the latest Portage snapshot into /usr/portage ;
after that, copy carefully selected parts of /etc .
After all, I do have a working kernel + system configuration,
which is partly what needs to be created during a basic install.

Of course, if there's a simpler method anyone can suggest, I wb thankful.
Can anyone explain why it's choking on the ELF header ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 08-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Michael Orlitzky

The next step seems to be to unpack the whole Stage 3 tarball
in the netbook's / dir& see what happens. After that, a full reinstall.

Further examination of what's in Stage 3
+ review of my detailed notes from installation last year suggest
that the correct attempt wb to unpack the tarball somewhere temporary,
then copy /bin /lib /sbin /usr /var into the existing set-up;
also to unpack the latest Portage snapshot into /usr/portage ;
after that, copy carefully selected parts of /etc .
After all, I do have a working kernel + system configuration,
which is partly what needs to be created during a basic install.

Of course, if there's a simpler method anyone can suggest, I wb thankful.
Can anyone explain why it's choking on the ELF header ?

You might be able to grab the 'acl' and 'attr' packages from here:

http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/

Hopefully, replacing them will fix your coreutils. If not, try replacing
coreutils too.

Note that this probably has the potential to make things worse, and I
obviously can't test it.