Old 08-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Philip Webb

Default libacl mess

I finally got back to updating my netbook,
in which I installed Gentoo a few months ago.
I came across the packages 'acl' & 'attr',
which are not installed in my regular desktop machine
& for which 'equery d' showed nothing actually dependent
('emerge -cpv' doesn't work with the earlier Portage in the netbook).
So I uninstalled them & quickly discovered that Coreutils was borked;
not only that, but 'emerge <anything>' fails
because it can't find /usr/lib/libacl.so.1 .
I downloaded the latest Stage 3 for 'i686' into my desktop machine,
unpacked it in a spare dir & copied the resulting 'libacl' files
to the netbook, recreating there the symlink 'libacl.so.1'.
Now 'emerge' complains that the 'libacl.so.1' ELF header is invalid.

The next step seems to be to unpack the whole Stage 3 tarball
in the netbook's / dir & see what happens. After that, a full reinstall.

No, my desktop machine doesn't need 'acl' for its more recent 'coreutils'.
Yes, i know about 'busybox', but 'emerge' can't use that.
No, I can't 'emerge --sync', which fails as above.
Yes, I tried 'USE="-acl" emerge coreutils', which also fails as above.

Any advice which might save me further time + anguish wb very welcome.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb