Old 08-20-2010, 04:25 AM
Alan Warren

Default removing an overlay

Hello,

I've just sync'd my machine, and realized I'm pulling in a few packages from the devnull overlay that I would rather not. freetype / fontconfig / cairo for example and it's causing
some conflicts when I try to update (-auvND world). I mainly use devnull for uzbl, dmenu, and my window manger awesome, as they tend to have the latest versions.

If I remove devnull, will these packages continue being maintained by portage? I don't mind getting these packages from portage if it means less hassle when I update, but the docs
suggest that I remove every package that I've installed from devnull before moving forward. This seems like a tremendous hassle, but perhaps there's a one-shot command for doing this?

I'm surprised packages in overlays take precedence over portage. Is there any way to get a single package from an overlay without taking "everything" ?

Kind regards,
-Alan

Old 08-20-2010, 07:30 AM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 06:25 on Friday 20 August 2010, Alan Warren
did opine thusly:

> Hello,
>
> I've just sync'd my machine, and realized I'm pulling in a few packages
> from the devnull overlay that I would rather not. freetype / fontconfig /
> cairo for example and it's causing
> some conflicts when I try to update (-auvND world). I mainly use devnull
> for uzbl, dmenu, and my window manger awesome, as they tend to have the
> latest versions.
>
> If I remove devnull, will these packages continue being maintained by
> portage? I don't mind getting these packages from portage if it means less
> hassle when I update, but the docs
> suggest that I remove every package that I've installed from devnull before
> moving forward. This seems like a tremendous hassle, but perhaps there's a
> one-shot command for doing this?
>
> I'm surprised packages in overlays take precedence over portage. Is there
> any way to get a single package from an overlay without taking "everything"
> ?
>
> Kind regards,
> -Alan

There's no one-shot command because it's a series of actions.

layman - devnull
emerge -av1 <list of stuff from devnull>

portage won't nuke your packages just because you remove the overlay, it still
has the ebuild locally. portage will only update them once the version in
portage is greater than the version you got from the overlay.

emerge -pv @installed will then show packages you do not have ebuilds for
(amongst other useful info) with portage-2.2*. You can then decide what you
want to do about those missing packages.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 08-20-2010, 08:06 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 23:25:12 -0500, Alan Warren wrote:

> I'm surprised packages in overlays take precedence over portage.

> Is
> there any way to get a single package from an overlay without taking
> "everything" ?

An overlay has to take precedence, otherwise putting a fixed ebuild in
your local overlay will have no effect.

> Is
> there any way to get a single package from an overlay without taking
> "everything" ?

What I do it ad the overlay with layman, so it is kept up to date, but
don't add it to make.conf. Then I symlink the packages I want from that
overlay to my local overlay.

--
Neil Bothwick

You are about to give someone a piece of your mind,
something you can ill afford...

Old 08-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Alan Warren

Excellent. thank you.* Both responses are very helpful.

Alan