Old 08-19-2010, 08:21 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default I can RTFM, but can I understand it: re elog messages

I just got this elog from updating my gentoo system.* It's from freetype-2.4.2:
---------------------------- begin ------------------------------
LOG (postinst)

The TrueType bytecode interpreter is no longer patented and thus no

longer controlled by the bindist USE flag.* Enable the auto-hinter
USE flag if you want the old USE=bindist hinting behavior.
----------------------------- end* -------------------------------

So I looked up "auto-hinter" in the flagedit(1) program. It says:

>** auto-hinter: Local Flag: Use the unpatented auto-hinter instead of the (recommended) TrueType bytecode interpreter (media-libs/freetype)

The placement of the "(recommended)" is just a bit ambiguous.* Is it recommenting the unpatented* auto-hinter, or making a recommendation of the TrueType bytecode interpreter?* I'm guessing the former, but not with complete confidence.

I want clear font rendering, which I guess means using hints, and I've added the auto-hinter use-flag in package.use.*

I hope I guessed right.
--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 08-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 13:21:20 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> So I looked up "auto-hinter" in the flagedit(1) program. It says:
> > auto-hinter: Local Flag: Use the unpatented auto-hinter instead of
> > the
> (recommended) TrueType bytecode interpreter (media-libs/freetype)
>
> The placement of the "(recommended)" is just a bit ambiguous. Is it
> recommenting the unpatented auto-hinter, or making a recommendation of
> the TrueType bytecode interpreter? I'm guessing the former, but not
> with complete confidence.

I'm confident it means the latter.

--
Neil Bothwick

If at first you do succeed, try to hide your astonishment.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:38 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Thursday 19 August 2010 21:21:20 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> So I looked up "auto-hinter" in the flagedit(1) program. It says:
> auto-hinter: Local Flag: Use the unpatented auto-hinter instead
> of the (recommended) TrueType bytecode interpreter (media-
> libs/freetype)
>
> The placement of the "(recommended)" is just a bit ambiguous.

No, it isn't. You may be being confused by the unnecessary inclusion of
brackets (parentheses if you're American); remove them and you see that
the TrueType byte-code interpreter is recommended. Or, just consider the
phrase "the recommended TrueType bytecode interpreter", with or without
brackets. I can't see how that could be thought ambiguous.

--
Rgds
Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:20 AM
Dale

Peter Humphrey wrote:

So I looked up "auto-hinter" in the flagedit(1) program. It says:
auto-hinter: Local Flag: Use the unpatented auto-hinter instead
of the (recommended) TrueType bytecode interpreter (media-
libs/freetype)

The placement of the "(recommended)" is just a bit ambiguous.

No, it isn't. You may be being confused by the unnecessary inclusion of
brackets (parentheses if you're American); remove them and you see that
the TrueType byte-code interpreter is recommended. Or, just consider the
phrase "the recommended TrueType bytecode interpreter", with or without
brackets. I can't see how that could be thought ambiguous.

Well Peter is not alone. I saw that a week or so ago and I couldn't
figure out what the heck any of it meant. Sort of reminds me of what
euse -i gives me, Greek or may as well be anyway. Most of them doesn't
make much sense unless you already know what they are, then you have no
need to look.

I usually go to the forums and search around to see what things mean. I
just forgot to do that in this case.

So, all that said, what the heck are we supposed to change here?

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 08-20-2010, 08:01 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 02:20:09 -0500, Dale wrote:

> So, all that said, what the heck are we supposed to change here?

Nothing, unless you're using the bindist USE flag, in which case you
should replace it by auto-hinter. All that's happened is that control of
that feature has passed from one USE flag to another, because of a
licensing change.

--
Neil Bothwick

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who
think.(Horace Walpole)

Old 08-20-2010, 08:03 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 00:38:10 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> No, it isn't. You may be being confused by the unnecessary inclusion of
> brackets (parentheses if you're American);

If you're British too:

Defined usage:
() parentheses
[] brackets
{} braces

General usage:
() brackets
[] square brackets
{} curly brackets

I'll let you decide which is the more intuitive usage.

--
Neil Bothwick

Half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:39 AM
Dale

Neil Bothwick wrote:

So, all that said, what the heck are we supposed to change here?

Nothing, unless you're using the bindist USE flag, in which case you
should replace it by auto-hinter. All that's happened is that control of
that feature has passed from one USE flag to another, because of a
licensing change.

Oh. Why didn't they just say that then? :-)

"if using bindist USE flag please change over to auto-hinter unless you
have a good reason not to switch."

See, I like it simple. I can understand that. Change over unless you
know a really good reason not too.

My note: "changed USE flag in make.conf. Done."

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 08-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 10:03 on Friday 20 August 2010, Neil Bothwick
did opine thusly:

> On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 00:38:10 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > No, it isn't. You may be being confused by the unnecessary inclusion of
> > brackets (parentheses if you're American);
>
> If you're British too:
>
> Defined usage:
> () parentheses
> [] brackets
> {} braces
>
> General usage:
> () brackets
> [] square brackets
> {} curly brackets
>
> I'll let you decide which is the more intuitive usage.

The former, obviously.

Stuff has names, people should learn the names.

"Arrogant jerk on second floor with a beard and no head hair" is definitely
more intuitive to my new staff, but for anyone here longer than a week it is
far simpler to just use the name of the thing instead of some description, and
refer to me as "Alan"

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 08-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 01:38 on Friday 20 August 2010, Peter Humphrey
did opine thusly:

> On Thursday 19 August 2010 21:21:20 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > So I looked up "auto-hinter" in the flagedit(1) program. It says:
> > auto-hinter: Local Flag: Use the unpatented auto-hinter instead
> > of the (recommended) TrueType bytecode interpreter (media-
> > libs/freetype)
> >
> > The placement of the "(recommended)" is just a bit ambiguous.
>
> No, it isn't. You may be being confused by the unnecessary inclusion of
> brackets (parentheses if you're American); remove them and you see that
> the TrueType byte-code interpreter is recommended. Or, just consider the
> phrase "the recommended TrueType bytecode interpreter", with or without
> brackets. I can't see how that could be thought ambiguous.

The parenthesis is actually correct as the recommendation is just an aside
comment in this context. The sentence expands to:

instead of the TrueType bytecode interpreter (TrueType is the recommended
interpreter to use btw)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 08-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 11:01:50 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> "Arrogant jerk on second floor with a beard and no head hair" is
> definitely more intuitive to my new staff, but for anyone here longer
> than a week it is far simpler to just use the name of the thing instead
> of some description, and refer to me as "Alan"

I thought you were talking about me until I realised I was reading it
downstairs

--
Neil Bothwick

Hm..what's this red button fo|'.'NO CARRIER