Old 08-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Elmar Hinz

Default LINGUAS

The gentoo wiki suggests in different places to set the LINGUAS
environment variable in make.conf.

What has LINGUAS todo with make? I would expect it in rc.conf near the
UNICODE setting.

Al

Old 08-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 23:25 on Wednesday 18 August 2010, Elmar Hinz
did opine thusly:

> The gentoo wiki suggests in different places to set the LINGUAS
> environment variable in make.conf.
>
> What has LINGUAS todo with make? I would expect it in rc.conf near the
> UNICODE setting.

It has nothing to do with make. It has everything to do with portage.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 08-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Elmar Hinz

2010/8/18 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 23:25 on Wednesday 18 August 2010, Elmar Hinz
> did opine thusly:
>
>> The gentoo wiki suggests in different places to set the LINGUAS
>> environment variable in make.conf.
>>
>> What has LINGUAS todo with make? I would expect it in rc.conf near the
>> UNICODE setting.
>

> It has nothing to do with make. It has everything to do with portage.

Even than, LINGUAS has rather to do with OpenOffice.

Has it anything to do with portage at all?

Old 08-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 13:48 on Thursday 19 August 2010, Elmar Hinz
did opine thusly:

> 2010/8/18 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>:
> > Apparently, though unproven, at 23:25 on Wednesday 18 August 2010, Elmar
> > Hinz
> >
> > did opine thusly:
> >> The gentoo wiki suggests in different places to set the LINGUAS
> >> environment variable in make.conf.
> >>
> >> What has LINGUAS todo with make? I would expect it in rc.conf near the
> >> UNICODE setting.
> >
> > It has nothing to do with make. It has everything to do with portage.
>
> Even than, LINGUAS has rather to do with OpenOffice.
>
> Has it anything to do with portage at all?

It's in make.conf isn't it?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 08-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Nganon

On 19 August 2010 14:48, Elmar Hinz <oss.elmar@googlemail.com> wrote:

2010/8/18 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>:

> Apparently, though unproven, at 23:25 on Wednesday 18 August 2010, Elmar Hinz

> did opine thusly:

>> The gentoo wiki suggests in different places to set the LINGUAS

>> environment variable in make.conf.

>> What has LINGUAS todo with make? I would expect it in rc.conf near the

>> UNICODE setting.

> It has nothing to do with make. It has everything to do with portage.

Even than, LINGUAS has rather to do with OpenOffice.

Has it anything to do with portage at all?

It has something to with packages that has localization support,*thus everything*to with portage.*Global linguas flags are set in make.conf asLINGUAS="en de ru"

and application specific ones can be set in package.use aswww-client/firefox*linguas_en_GBapp-office/openoffice-bin*linguas_en_GB linguas_de

Old 08-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Graham Murray

Elmar Hinz <oss.elmar@googlemail.com> writes:

> 2010/8/18 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>:
>> Apparently, though unproven, at 23:25 on Wednesday 18 August 2010, Elmar Hinz
>> did opine thusly:
>>
>>> The gentoo wiki suggests in different places to set the LINGUAS
>>> environment variable in make.conf.
>>>
>>> What has LINGUAS todo with make? I would expect it in rc.conf near the
>>> UNICODE setting.
>>

>> It has nothing to do with make. It has everything to do with portage.
>>

> Even than, LINGUAS has rather to do with OpenOffice.
>
> Has it anything to do with portage at all?

Several packages, not just OpenOffice, can include/support different
languages. Portage uses the value of LINGUAS to tell these packages
which languages to include/support.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Florian CROUZAT

On 19 août 2010, at 14:27, Graham Murray wrote:

> Elmar Hinz <oss.elmar@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> 2010/8/18 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>:
>>> Apparently, though unproven, at 23:25 on Wednesday 18 August 2010, Elmar Hinz
>>> did opine thusly:

>>> It has nothing to do with make. It has everything to do with portage.
>>>

>> Even than, LINGUAS has rather to do with OpenOffice.
>>
>> Has it anything to do with portage at all?
>
> Several packages, not just OpenOffice, can include/support different
> languages. Portage uses the value of LINGUAS to tell these packages
> which languages to include/support.

I have access to this box where linguas=fr is set.
Check this output:
$ type -a [
[ est une primitive du shell
[ est /usr/bin/[

[ is a shell built-in becomes "est une primitive du shell"
I can't see any use flags in coreutils/bash that informs me it will be emerged with the linguas support.
How do I know which package will be localized then ? Just curious, I don't tweak my linguas.

-----
Florian.
/ For security reasons, all text in this mail
is double-rot13 encrypted. /

Old 08-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Elmar Hinz

>> Even than, LINGUAS has rather to do with OpenOffice.
>>
>> Has it anything to do with portage at all?
>
> Several packages, not just OpenOffice, can include/support different
> languages. Portage uses the value of LINGUAS to tell these packages
> which languages to include/support.

When Portage evaluates this variable it makes some sense.

On the other hand LINGUAS is still a general variable AFAIK and not
portage specific.

So shouldn't it be set in a general location like time and locales?

Al

Old 08-19-2010, 01:13 PM
"Arttu V."

On 8/19/10, Elmar Hinz <oss.elmar@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Even than, LINGUAS has rather to do with OpenOffice.
>>>
>>> Has it anything to do with portage at all?
>>
>> Several packages, not just OpenOffice, can include/support different
>> languages. Portage uses the value of LINGUAS to tell these packages
>> which languages to include/support.
>>

> When Portage evaluates this variable it makes some sense.
>
> On the other hand LINGUAS is still a general variable AFAIK and not
> portage specific.
>
> So shouldn't it be set in a general location like time and locales?

No, I think you're mixing up compile-time and run-time values -- and
also reading too much into the file names. "make.conf" should really
rather be called "portage.conf". That would make much more sense IMHO.

--
Arttu V. -- Running Gentoo is like running with scissors

Old 08-19-2010, 01:21 PM
"Arttu V."

On 8/19/10, Florian CROUZAT <gentoo@floriancrouzat.net> wrote:

> On 19 août 2010, at 14:27, Graham Murray wrote:
>
>> Several packages, not just OpenOffice, can include/support different
>> languages. Portage uses the value of LINGUAS to tell these packages
>> which languages to include/support.
>
> I have access to this box where linguas=fr is set.
> Check this output:
> $ type -a [
> [ est une primitive du shell
> [ est /usr/bin/[
>
> [ is a shell built-in becomes "est une primitive du shell"
> I can't see any use flags in coreutils/bash that informs me it will be
> emerged with the linguas support.
> How do I know which package will be localized then ? Just curious, I don't
> tweak my linguas.

Check for the tell-tale USE="nls" flag in the ebuilds.

Not all ebuild's bother listing explicitly out all of the LINGUAS
their sources actually support. coreutils is one of the lazy ones.

Just look at its sources: 39 different .po files, that's 39
localizations available. No point printing out such monstrous long
lists -- your localization is in there, period! But coreutils does
obey LINGUAS anyway. It only installs what you have in your LINGUAS
(check, e.g., with equery files coreutils).

Openoffice is a special case (surprise!). Its ebuild depends
dynamically on spell-check packages depending on the value of LINGUAS
-- so the poor Gentoo OOo maintainers must list out every supported
lingua in the ebuild.

--
Arttu V. -- Running Gentoo is like running with scissors