Old 08-18-2010, 04:04 AM
Mark Knecht

Default Regenerate portage cache from scratch following a big toe crash?

OK, this is too funny. I'm sitting here in the dark browsing around on
my home machine while I'm doing an eix-sync. I have my legs crossed,
sitting in my chair that swivels, and guess what...my big toe is at
__exactly__ the height of the main power button on my APC UPS, and
darn if I don't hit it and power is gone!

The machine booted and came back up with no obvious problems but when
I tried to continue with the eix-sync I get some pretty messed up
messages, ala:

Can't read cache file
/usr/portage/metadata/cache/x11-libs/pixman-0.18.4: Success
Reading category 146|154 ( 94%): x11-libs ..
Can't read cache file
/usr/portage/metadata/cache/x11-libs/pixman-0.18.4: Success
Reading category 146|154 ( 94%): x11-libs ..
Can't read cache file
/usr/portage/metadata/cache/x11-libs/pixman-0.18.4: Success
Reading category 146|154 ( 94%): x11-libs ..
Can't read cache file
/usr/portage/metadata/cache/x11-libs/pixman-0.18.4: Success
Reading category 146|154 ( 94%): x11-libs ..
Can't read cache file
/usr/portage/metadata/cache/x11-libs/pixman-0.18.4: Success
Reading category 154|154 (100%) Finished

I tried removing the timestamp file to get it to sync again but that
didn't fix it.

How does a big-toe guy regenerate the database emerge --sync normally
keeps for my machine?

Too funny! (Hey - at least I provided a laugh I hope!) :-)))

- Mark

Old 08-18-2010, 04:17 AM
Dale

Mark Knecht wrote:

[...]

I think this will help:

emerge-webrsync

That should download the complete tree. It will be a pretty good size
file tho just in case you have dial-up or some other slow connection.

Dale

:-) :-)

P. S. Careful with the toe next time. lol

Old 08-18-2010, 07:01 AM
Andrea Conti

Hi,

> sitting in my chair that swivels, and guess what...my big toe is at
> __exactly__ the height of the main power button on my APC UPS, and
> darn if I don't hit it and power is gone!

Back in the old days I had a trusty desktop 286 which sat on a piece of
furniture at approximately knee level, with a very prominent "reset"
button on the front panel... need I say more?

> Can't read cache file
> /usr/portage/metadata/cache/x11-libs/pixman-0.18.4: Success
> Reading category 146|154 ( 94%): x11-libs ..
> Can't read cache file

> How does a big-toe guy regenerate the database emerge --sync normally
> keeps for my machine?

First make sure all your filesystems are ok (touch /forcefsck and reboot).
Second, I am not sure whether eix is complaining about the portage tree
metadata (which is rsynced with the rest of the tree and not kept by
emerge, so it shouldn't get corrupted) or its own cache.
You can regenerate the former locally with emerge --metadata; if it
doesn't help (and I don't think it will) I would try deleting the
contents of /var/cache/eix and manually running eix-update.

HTH,

andrea

Old 08-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> OK, this is too funny. I'm sitting here in the dark browsing around on
>> my home machine while I'm doing an eix-sync. I have my legs crossed,
>> sitting in my chair that swivels, and guess what...my big toe is at
>> __exactly__ the height of the main power button on my APC UPS, and
>> darn if I don't hit it and power is gone!
>>
>> The machine booted and came back up with no obvious problems but when
>> I tried to continue with the eix-sync I get some pretty messed up
>> messages, ala:
>>
>> Can't read cache file
>> /usr/portage/metadata/cache/x11-libs/pixman-0.18.4: Success
>> * * *Reading category 146|154 ( 94%): x11-libs ..
>> Can't read cache file
>> /usr/portage/metadata/cache/x11-libs/pixman-0.18.4: Success
>> * * *Reading category 146|154 ( 94%): x11-libs ..
>> Can't read cache file
>> /usr/portage/metadata/cache/x11-libs/pixman-0.18.4: Success
>> * * *Reading category 146|154 ( 94%): x11-libs ..
>> Can't read cache file
>> /usr/portage/metadata/cache/x11-libs/pixman-0.18.4: Success
>> * * *Reading category 146|154 ( 94%): x11-libs ..
>> Can't read cache file
>> /usr/portage/metadata/cache/x11-libs/pixman-0.18.4: Success
>> * * *Reading category 154|154 (100%) Finished
>>
>> I tried removing the timestamp file to get it to sync again but that
>> didn't fix it.
>>
>> How does a big-toe guy regenerate the database emerge --sync normally
>> keeps for my machine?
>>
>> Too funny! (Hey - at least I provided a laugh I hope!) :-)))
>>
>> - Mark
>>

> I think this will help:
>
> emerge-webrsync
>
> That should download the complete tree. *It will be a pretty good size file
> tho just in case you have dial-up or some other slow connection.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) *:-)
>
> P. S. *Careful with the toe next time. *lol

Thanks Dale, and to Andrea also.

On my machine I'm not finding a man page on emerge-webrsync so I'm a
bit hesitant to run it until I find maybe some information on line.

Andrea's emerge --metadata command is one thing I thought about last
night, along with maybe --regen, but decided it wasn't worth messing
things up. I think maybe the removal of eix completely, then removal
of the cache database, and then re-emerging eix and starting clean
with that program might be the safest first step, assuming that I
don't find a problem with emerge itself this evening.

Thanks for the ideas.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 08-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Dale

Mark Knecht wrote:

[...]

What you described above is what emerge-webrsync does. Remember during
the install when you downloaded a "snapshot" of the tree? That is
basically what that does. It replaces the whole tree. Since you don't
know what is corrupt, that is what I would do anyway. When you run a
regular sync, it just replaces the files that have been updated or
changed in some way.

Actually, I would rm everything except distfiles and then sync. That
would do the same thing but then I know for sure anything corrupt is
gone for sure and I have a fresh start.

Your mileage may vary tho. ;-)

Dale

:-) :-)