Old 08-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Peter Ruskin

Default £ sign in OpenOffice

<michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > No real idea but possibly:
> > >
> > > Different font sets installed?
> > >
> > > Incorrect/different font paths in xorg.config?
> > >
> > > I don't use OO so I cannot speak to it's internal settings.
> > >
> > > Good luck,
> > > Mark
> >
> > I looked at this box again and it transpires that it also has
> > this problem in Kmail, not just OOo. There don't seem to be
> > any other problems with the characterset or keyboard, only the
> > GBP sign.
>
> Just adding to this, the £ sign works fine on the console. It is
> the X applications (including terminals) that seem to have the
> problem with the '£' sign.

Why not use xmodmap? Here's a line from my $HOME/.Xmodmap:
keycode 12 = 3 sterling threesuperior Greek_OMEGA

Evoke using "xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap"

Shift+3=£; Shift+AltGr+3=Ω; AltGr+3=³

--
Peter
Gentoo Linux: Portage 2.2_rc67 kernel-2.6.35-gentoo-r1

Old 08-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Frank Steinmetzger

Am Dienstag, 17. August 2010 schrieb Mick:

> > > Different font sets installed?

Seeing a character as Ä or à and someting looks more like an encoding problem,
because usually à and something is unicode interpreted as single-byte.

> > > I don't use OO so I cannot speak to it's internal settings.
> > >
> > > Good luck,
> > > Mark
> >
> > I looked at this box again and it transpires that it also has this
> > problem in Kmail, not just OOo. There don't seem to be any other
> > problems with the characterset or keyboard, only the GBP sign.
>
> Just adding to this, the £ sign works fine on the console. It is the X
> applications (including terminals) that seem to have the problem with the
> '£' sign.

I assume you use KDE because you mention KMail. What have you set in KDE’s
keyboard layout (Personal -> Regional Settings)? (Or if not KDE, then in
$your_DE’s settingss)
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
begin signature_virus

Old 08-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 18 August 2010 19:58:14 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:

> > Just adding to this, the £ sign works fine on the console. It is the X
> > applications (including terminals) that seem to have the problem with the
> > '£' sign.
>
> I assume you use KDE because you mention KMail. What have you set in KDE’s
> keyboard layout (Personal -> Regional Settings)? (Or if not KDE, then in
> $your_DE’s settingss)

Yes, this box is running KDE.

The regional settings show "United Kingdom".

The only thing that is different to other boxen of mine is that I have not set
up /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-keymap.fdi to define:

<merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">uk</merge>

When I set up such a file in /etc/ then I can no longer use the keyboard in
KDE. I have to fall back to a console and work from there.
Mick

Old 08-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Mick

On Tuesday 17 August 2010 23:10:31 Peter Ruskin wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 August 2010 20:23:08 Mick wrote:

> > > I looked at this box again and it transpires that it also has
> > > this problem in Kmail, not just OOo. There don't seem to be
> > > any other problems with the characterset or keyboard, only the
> > > GBP sign.
> >
> > Just adding to this, the £ sign works fine on the console. It is
> > the X applications (including terminals) that seem to have the
> > problem with the '£' sign.
>
> Why not use xmodmap? Here's a line from my $HOME/.Xmodmap:
> keycode 12 = 3 sterling threesuperior Greek_OMEGA
>
> Evoke using "xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap"
>
> Shift+3=£; Shift+AltGr+3=Ω; AltGr+3=³

Thanks Peter, I've tried this and it does not work. :-(
Mick

Old 08-19-2010, 04:01 AM
Frank Steinmetzger

Am Mittwoch, 18. August 2010 schrieb Mick:
> On Wednesday 18 August 2010 19:58:14 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> > > Just adding to this, the £ sign works fine on the console. It is the X
> > > applications (including terminals) that seem to have the problem with
> > > the '£' sign.
> >
> > I assume you use KDE because you mention KMail. What have you set in
> > KDE’s keyboard layout (Personal -> Regional Settings)? (Or if not KDE,
> > then in $your_DE’s settingss)
>
> Yes, this box is running KDE.
>
> The regional settings show "United Kingdom".

Hm.. either here’s a misunderstanding or you looked at the wrong place
(because in Regional Settings, there is also a tab with "Region" in its name).
I meant the active layout in the "Keyboard Layout" tab, where you have dozens
of countries to chose from and where you can enable/disable the display of a
flag in the tray area. Did you mean that one?
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
Pilot: Radar, Good Day, Airforce Blackbird, request FL 600

Old 08-19-2010, 06:07 AM
Mick

On Thursday 19 August 2010 05:01:45 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:

> > > I assume you use KDE because you mention KMail. What have you set in
> > > KDE’s keyboard layout (Personal -> Regional Settings)? (Or if not KDE,
> > > then in $your_DE’s settingss)
> >
> > Yes, this box is running KDE.
> >
> > The regional settings show "United Kingdom".
>
> Hm.. either here’s a misunderstanding or you looked at the wrong place
> (because in Regional Settings, there is also a tab with "Region" in its
> name). I meant the active layout in the "Keyboard Layout" tab, where you
> have dozens of countries to chose from and where you can enable/disable
> the display of a flag in the tray area. Did you mean that one?

Ah! Yes, I have 'United Kingdom' in active keyboard layouts too. It also
shows keyboard model: Generic 104-key PC and Command: setxkbmap -model pc104 -
layout gb.

I suspect that this problem is related to the fact that I do not have a
xorg.conf setting to change the keyboard from the default US to UK and I
cannot set a hal/fdi file in /etc because I lose the keyboard completely in
kdm and cannot login (the infamous 'Dale' bug ...!)
Mick