-   -   Automatically make backups of removed packages (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/414418-automatically-make-backups-removed-packages.html)

Enrico Weigelt 08-17-2010 08:15 PM

* Florian CROUZAT <gentoo@floriancrouzat.net> wrote:

> What is that you want to backup ?

The (binary) package content files. In something critical got
removed or broken by accident (eg. toolchain or portage itself).
And this should be done automatically.

cu

phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@metux.de
mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666

Florian CROUZAT 08-17-2010 08:19 PM

On 17 août 2010, at 21:53, Enrico Weigelt wrote:

> Hi folks,
>

> is there any global option (eg. make.conf) to tell portage always
> to do backups of uninstalled or overwritten packages ?
>

> thx

What is that you want to backup ? Your distfiles directory should have the tarballs, if you don't erase them.
And you can consult the emerge logs (or qlop -u if you have q) to see what you unmerged.

----
Florian (SuperFlo) CROUZAT
/ For security reasons, all text in this mail
is double-rot13 encrypted. /

Alan McKinnon 08-17-2010 08:21 PM

On Tuesday 17 August 2010 21:53:32 Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> is there any global option (eg. make.conf) to tell portage always
> to do backups of uninstalled or overwritten packages ?

Not that I know of.

What you could do is always make a backup of all packages when they are
installed with FEATURES=buildpkg. When you uninstall them, the last backup you
made it already there.

If you keep the backups reasonably pruned, total size will be approximately
the size of /usr and /opt together.

Or, you could just habitually quickpkg and package you think you might want to
keep before you unmerge it.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Paul Hartman 08-17-2010 08:25 PM

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> is there any global option (eg. make.conf) to tell portage always
> to do backups of uninstalled or overwritten packages ?

If you mean binary backup, you can enable buildpkg in FEATURES and
wait for next+1 updates, then you'll have binary package of current
and previous version...

If you just want to know what was previously installed, but don't mind
recompiling, you can use the "demerge" package, which saves state and
allows you to revert to a previous state (emerge back to exact package
versions that were installed at a certain date and time). It can also
use binary packages if they are available (when used alongside
buildpkg for example).

There are also commands to create binpkg of an already-installed
package, if you have specific times you want this but not all of the
time.

Alan McKinnon 08-17-2010 08:26 PM

On Tuesday 17 August 2010 22:15:43 Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Florian CROUZAT <gentoo@floriancrouzat.net> wrote:
> > What is that you want to backup ?
>
> The (binary) package content files. In something critical got
> removed or broken by accident (eg. toolchain or portage itself).
> And this should be done automatically.

FEATURES=buildsyspkg

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Albert Hopkins 08-18-2010 12:23 AM

On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 21:53 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> is there any global option (eg. make.conf) to tell portage always
> to do backups of uninstalled or overwritten packages ?

I always build binary packages when I emerge them (i.e.
FEATURES=buildpkg). That way if I uninstall something or it is upgraded
etc. I always have a copy).

-a