Old 08-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Albert Hopkins

Default Typewriter sound

On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 20:43 +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Bill Longman <bill.longman@gmail.com> [10-08-17 20:16]:

> > > There probably a number of ways to do this.
> > >
> > > A cheap and easy way would be to use xev to monitor a window and then
> > > pipe the stderr to a a program that waits for a keypress event and then
> > > plays an apropriate.
> > >
> > > A less cheap way would be to have our program do what xev does instead
> > > of using a pipe.
> >
> > Or you could set your X keyclick using xset.
> >

> Hi,
>
> thanks a lot for your replies!
> Is there any program already, which does this?
> A daemon or...<insert missing words here>
>
> Best regards,
> mcc

Well I found out that when you pass window id to xev it does not trap
keyboard presses per-sť. But there is another way...

Anway the following is a quick hack (in python). It pretty much works
except it also seems to trap mouse presses. I got the .wav file at
http://www.soundjay.com/typewriter-sounds.html

I tried using 'xset c' but it basically does nothing for me. My guess
is that it does work it basically sends the a BELL to the console.

--- 8< CUT HERE ---------------------------------------------------
import sys
import subprocess

soundfile = 'typewriter-key-1.wav'

def main():
window_id = sys.argv[1]
cmd = ['xev', '-id', window_id]

p1 = subprocess.Popen(cmd, stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
while True:
line = p1.stdout.readline()
if line.find('atom 0x14d') > -1:
subprocess.Popen(['aplay', soundfile],