Old 08-17-2010, 05:20 PM

Default Typewriter sound

Hi,

on YouTube there was a Blender-2.5 tutorial with audio.
There was an interesting detail: While there were spoken
instructions one can hear one typing on its keyboard.
Each hit on one of the keys made the sound of an old
typewriter (no, it was not the sound of the legendary
"IBM Model M" keyboard ).

How can I achieve this?
What software can I use to make this geeky feature to
come true.
Unfortunately I have no idea, how to name this kind
of what(?) ...

Thank you very much for any hint in advance!
Best regards,
mcc

Old 08-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Albert Hopkins

On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 19:20 +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on YouTube there was a Blender-2.5 tutorial with audio.
> There was an interesting detail: While there were spoken
> instructions one can hear one typing on its keyboard.
> Each hit on one of the keys made the sound of an old
> typewriter (no, it was not the sound of the legendary
> "IBM Model M" keyboard ).
>
> How can I achieve this?
> What software can I use to make this geeky feature to
> come true.
> Unfortunately I have no idea, how to name this kind
> of what(?) ...
>
> Thank you very much for any hint in advance!
> Best regards,
> mcc

There probably a number of ways to do this.

A cheap and easy way would be to use xev to monitor a window and then
pipe the stderr to a a program that waits for a keypress event and then
plays an apropriate.

A less cheap way would be to have our program do what xev does instead
of using a pipe.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Bill Longman

On 08/17/2010 10:56 AM, Albert Hopkins wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 19:20 +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> on YouTube there was a Blender-2.5 tutorial with audio.
>> There was an interesting detail: While there were spoken
>> instructions one can hear one typing on its keyboard.
>> Each hit on one of the keys made the sound of an old
>> typewriter (no, it was not the sound of the legendary
>> "IBM Model M" keyboard ).
>>
>> How can I achieve this?
>> What software can I use to make this geeky feature to
>> come true.
>> Unfortunately I have no idea, how to name this kind
>> of what(?) ...
>>
>> Thank you very much for any hint in advance!
>> Best regards,
>> mcc
>
> There probably a number of ways to do this.
>
> A cheap and easy way would be to use xev to monitor a window and then
> pipe the stderr to a a program that waits for a keypress event and then
> plays an apropriate.
>
> A less cheap way would be to have our program do what xev does instead
> of using a pipe.

Or you could set your X keyclick using xset.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:43 PM

Bill Longman <bill.longman@gmail.com> [10-08-17 20:16]:
> On 08/17/2010 10:56 AM, Albert Hopkins wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 19:20 +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> on YouTube there was a Blender-2.5 tutorial with audio.
> >> There was an interesting detail: While there were spoken
> >> instructions one can hear one typing on its keyboard.
> >> Each hit on one of the keys made the sound of an old
> >> typewriter (no, it was not the sound of the legendary
> >> "IBM Model M" keyboard ).
> >>
> >> How can I achieve this?
> >> What software can I use to make this geeky feature to
> >> come true.
> >> Unfortunately I have no idea, how to name this kind
> >> of what(?) ...
> >>
> >> Thank you very much for any hint in advance!
> >> Best regards,
> >> mcc
> >
> > There probably a number of ways to do this.
> >
> > A cheap and easy way would be to use xev to monitor a window and then
> > pipe the stderr to a a program that waits for a keypress event and then
> > plays an apropriate.
> >
> > A less cheap way would be to have our program do what xev does instead
> > of using a pipe.
>
> Or you could set your X keyclick using xset.

Hi,

thanks a lot for your replies!
Is there any program already, which does this?
A daemon or...<insert missing words here>

Best regards,
mcc