Old 08-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Jake Moe

Default MonoDevelop + Moonlight

Hello all

Can anyone help me with this combo? I've unmasked MonoDevelop from
Portage and installed it, and it runs, but when I tell it to make a test
Moonlight app and try to build/run it, it errors with "Framework
'Moonlight / Silverlight 2.0' not installed", and if I expand all the
References in the "Solution" section, I get a bunch of "Assembly not
available for Moonlight / Silverlight 2.0 (in Mono 2.6.4)" messages, one
under each reference. Any ideas how to fix this?

I have the Moonlight plug-in installed from
http://www.go-mono.com/moonlight/ (the one in Portage is still on v1,
while v2.3 is out), and it works on a Silverlight app I wrote using
Visual Studio & Silverlight in Windows. Do I need the Moonlight Portage
package as well? I would have thought that whatever it did, the plugin
I downloaded and installed would have done the same; but maybe it's not
in a system-wide location, and needs to be?

Or maybe I need to install a "Moonlight SDK"? I tried to find one of
these, but from what I gathered, this should have been bundled together
with the MonoDevelop sources, and I assume would have gotten built along
with it? The availability of the choice "Moonlight application" in
MonoDevelop leads me to believe that it's built whatever it needs, but
I'm missing something.

I've also tried loading the VS 2008 solution I wrote (and successfully
built, and can successfully run on Gentoo/Firefox) into MonoDevelop, and
then I get the same errors I got before.

Documentation on the Mono, Moonlight and MonoDevelop pages is pretty
sparse when it comes to this combo; I'm getting the impression what I'd
like to do is very much under development, and perhaps just not ready
yet? Or am I missing something?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jake Moe

PS: I've signed up on the Moonlight mailing list as well, but before I
posted there, I thought I'd check to see if maybe this was a
Gentoo-specific thing. If not, I'll ask there.