Old 08-17-2010, 01:45 AM
CJoeB

Default Still Struggling With Wireless

Hi,

I'm biting the bullet here and asking for help. Yes! I've posted
before. And before anyone asks, I have read the responses to my
the wikis - ad nauseum. I'm still having problems with wireless.

Things were so much easier when I could just use the ipw3945 driver.
However, I can't build that because it requires TKIP and CCMP, neither
of which I can find settings for in my active kernel, 2.6.34-gentoo-r1.
In one of the responses to my previous posts someone told me about the /
trick while in the kernel configuration to bring up a search menu. I
did this and the only reference I could find for TKIP was one related to
debugging.

So, I'm left with trying to use the iwl3945 driver in the kernel. I
followed the wiki for setting this up and thought I had succeeded. I
got to the point where I was told to type the following:
ifconfig wlan0 up (this does activate the wireless led on my computer)
iwlist wlan0 scan
iwconfig wlan0 essid "network name" (where the network name is the
essid that has been set)

When I got this to work, I thought I was home free despite the "kludgy"
way of getting wireless working. However, I rebooted and now, when I
type iwlist wlan0 scan I get told that scanning is not supported. Yes,
I have iwl3945-ucode installed and yes, it was recompiled after the
kernel was rebuilt.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Old 08-17-2010, 01:55 AM
Adam Carter

*Hi,

I'm biting the bullet here and asking for help. *Yes! I've posted

before. *And before anyone asks, I have read the responses to my

the wikis - ad nauseum. *I'm still having problems with wireless.

Things were so much easier when I could just use the ipw3945 driver.

However, I can't build that because it requires TKIP and CCMP, neither

of which I can find settings for in my active kernel, 2.6.34-gentoo-r1.

In one of the responses to my previous posts someone told me about the /

trick while in the kernel configuration to bring up a search menu. *I

did this and the only reference I could find for TKIP was one related to

debugging.

I use wpa_supplicant to provide the wifi crypto.

So, I'm left with trying to use the iwl3945 driver in the kernel. *I

followed the wiki for setting this up and thought I had succeeded. *I

got to the point where I was told to type the following:

ifconfig wlan0 up (this does activate the wireless led on my computer)

iwlist wlan0 scan

iwconfig wlan0 essid "network name" *(where the network name is the

essid that has been set)

When I got this to work, I thought I was home free despite the "kludgy"

way of getting wireless working. *However, I rebooted and now, when I

type iwlist wlan0 scan I get told that scanning is not supported. *Yes,

I have iwl3945-ucode installed and yes, it was recompiled after the

kernel was rebuilt.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.*

Forgetting to post up your configs eg /etc/conf.d/net etc

Old 08-17-2010, 08:36 AM
David Abbott

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 9:45 PM, CJoeB <colleen.beamer@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Hi,
>
> I'm biting the bullet here and asking for help.
I would suggest using Wicd [0] and disable all !net.* rc scripts
depending on the version of baselayout /openrc you have the file to
edit [1] will change.
[0] http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Wicd
[1] http://gentoo-pr.org/node/17
--
David Abbott (dabbott)

Old 08-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Jake Moe

On 08/17/10 11:55, Adam Carter wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm biting the bullet here and asking for help. Yes! I've posted
>> before. And before anyone asks, I have read the responses to my
>> the wikis - ad nauseum. I'm still having problems with wireless.
>>
>> Things were so much easier when I could just use the ipw3945 driver.
>> However, I can't build that because it requires TKIP and CCMP, neither
>> of which I can find settings for in my active kernel, 2.6.34-gentoo-r1.
>> In one of the responses to my previous posts someone told me about the /
>> trick while in the kernel configuration to bring up a search menu. I
>> did this and the only reference I could find for TKIP was one related to
>> debugging.
> I use wpa_supplicant to provide the wifi crypto.
>> So, I'm left with trying to use the iwl3945 driver in the kernel. I
>> followed the wiki for setting this up and thought I had succeeded. I
>> got to the point where I was told to type the following:
>> ifconfig wlan0 up (this does activate the wireless led on my computer)
>> iwlist wlan0 scan
>> iwconfig wlan0 essid "network name" (where the network name is the
>> essid that has been set)
>>
>> When I got this to work, I thought I was home free despite the "kludgy"
>> way of getting wireless working. However, I rebooted and now, when I
>> type iwlist wlan0 scan I get told that scanning is not supported. Yes,
>> I have iwl3945-ucode installed and yes, it was recompiled after the
>> kernel was rebuilt.
>>
>> I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
> Forgetting to post up your configs eg /etc/conf.d/net etc
I've used the iwl3945 on a few HP laptops without much problem. The few
problems I had were related to switching the wireless on and off; I'd
have to rmmod and modprobe kernel modules to get it working again.

Does "ifconfig" list the interface? If not, what does "ifconfig wlan0
up" do? What about the output of "iwconfig"? And going for the obvious
here, any chance that the wireless is turned off?

Jake Moe

Old 08-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Elmar Hinz

> I would suggest using Wicd [0] and disable all !net.* rc scripts

AFAIK Wicd is just a graphical frontend to wpa_supplicant.

So I would recommend to try wpa_supplicant on the command line to get
full feedback.

And once the card is running you maybe don't really need a graphical
frontend at all.

Al

Old 08-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Elmar Hinz

@ CJoeB

It can be really hard. I needed days. There is more than one difficulty.

For example I needed to set my laptop type in the kernel (asus_laptop).
Without that, the card is not turned on at all, even if the card driver itself
is loaded.

Then you need to compile the password for wpa_supplicant with wpa_password.
It doesn´t take the plain passphrase.

So don´t be afraid to ask. wlan still is really hard stuff.

Regards

Al

Old 08-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Elmar Hinz

> When I got this to work, I thought I was home free despite the "kludgy"
> way of getting wireless working. *However, I rebooted and now, when I
> type iwlist wlan0 scan I get told that scanning is not supported. *Yes,
> I have iwl3945-ucode installed and yes, it was recompiled after the
> kernel was rebuilt.

Another hint:

emerge rfkill

rfkill list

It will show you some state of the module, if the module is "hard blocked".
That can be a reason for scanning not supported, a hint, that the card is
not turned on at all.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Adam Carter

Then you need to compile the password for wpa_supplicant with wpa_password.

It doesn´t take the plain passphrase.

It does for me;

For pre-shared keys
psk="plainpassphrase"

For .1x/EAP
password="plainpassphrase"

Old 08-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Elmar Hinz

>> Then you need to compile the password for wpa_supplicant with
>> wpa_password.
>> It doesn´t take the plain passphrase.
>
> It does for me;
>
> For pre-shared keys
> psk="plainpassphrase"
>
> For .1x/EAP
> password="plainpassphrase"

Interesting. I'll give it a try.

By the way, what I really wanted to say is:

Then you need to compile the password for wpa_supplicant with wpa_passphrase.
It doesn´t take the plain password.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:49 PM
CJoeB

On 08/17/10 08:36, David Abbott wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 9:45 PM, CJoeB <colleen.beamer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm biting the bullet here and asking for help.
> I would suggest using Wicd [0] and disable all !net.* rc scripts
> depending on the version of baselayout /openrc you have the file to
> edit [1] will change.
> [0] http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Wicd
> [1] http://gentoo-pr.org/node/17
More than anything, I am acknowledging this response. My understanding
is that Wicd requires wpa-supplicant. I don't know that I'm ready to
try to tackle the setup of wpa-supplicant - it's supposed to be harder
(it looks harder from what I have read) to configure than wireless-tools
and I'm not having very much success with that and the iwl3945 driver
built into the kernel.

Regards,

Colleen

--