Old 08-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Johannes Kimmel

Default emerge 32bits on 64bits platform

On 08/16/2010 08:13 PM, Stéphane Guedon wrote:

I have read several things about this, but never really solved !

Can I emerge a 32bits software on 64bits platform with a multilib profile ?

All my web browsers (konqueror, opera, chromium, firefox) are 64bits, whereas
flash player exist currently in 32bits. So, I need to have 32bits browser ! Can
I emerge ?

Thanks !

Not exactly. You can use www-plugins/nspluginwrapper to use 32bit
plugins in a 64bit browser.
But yes, you can emerge www-client/firefox-bin. This is a precompiled
32bit firefox, that runs the flashplugin without nspluginwrapper.

That should at least answer one question

Greetings

Johannes Kimmel

Old 08-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Stéphane Guedon

Le Monday 16 August 2010 21:39:13, Johannes Kimmel a écrit :
> On 08/16/2010 08:13 PM, Stéphane Guedon wrote:
> > I have read several things about this, but never really solved !
> >
> > Can I emerge a 32bits software on 64bits platform with a multilib profile
> > ?
> >
> > All my web browsers (konqueror, opera, chromium, firefox) are 64bits,
> > whereas flash player exist currently in 32bits. So, I need to have
> > 32bits browser ! Can I emerge ?
> >
> > Thanks !
>
> Not exactly. You can use www-plugins/nspluginwrapper to use 32bit
> plugins in a 64bit browser.
> But yes, you can emerge www-client/firefox-bin. This is a precompiled
> 32bit firefox, that runs the flashplugin without nspluginwrapper.
>
> That should at least answer one question
>
> Greetings
>
> Johannes Kimmel

nspluginwrapper currently doesn't allow flash player to work, don't know why...

--
Stéphane Guedon
page web : http://www.22decembre.eu/

Old 08-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Bill Longman

On 08/16/2010 12:47 PM, Stéphane Guedon wrote:

> nspluginwrapper currently doesn't allow flash player to work, don't know why...

You could look at swfdec-gnome too.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Jesús J. Guerrero Botella

2010/8/16 Stéphane Guedon <stephane@22decembre.eu>:
> I have read several things about this, but never really solved !
>
> Can I emerge a 32bits software on 64bits platform with a multilib profile ?
>
> All my web browsers (konqueror, opera, chromium, firefox) are 64bits, whereas
> flash player exist currently in 32bits. So, I need to have 32bits browser ! Can
> I emerge ?

There's a multilib overlay that will allow you to build 32 bits
software on a 64 bits OS. But it's completely unsupported, don't
expect it to work flawlessly. It's been long since the last time I
tried it so I don't know what the current status of things is.

--
Jesús Guerrero Botella

Old 08-17-2010, 08:13 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 17 August 2010 09:24:42 Jesús J. Guerrero Botella wrote:
> 2010/8/16 Stéphane Guedon <stephane@22decembre.eu>:
> > I have read several things about this, but never really solved !
> >
> > Can I emerge a 32bits software on 64bits platform with a multilib profile
> > ?
> >
> > All my web browsers (konqueror, opera, chromium, firefox) are 64bits,
> > whereas flash player exist currently in 32bits. So, I need to have
> > 32bits browser ! Can I emerge ?
>
> There's a multilib overlay that will allow you to build 32 bits
> software on a 64 bits OS. But it's completely unsupported, don't
> expect it to work flawlessly. It's been long since the last time I
> tried it so I don't know what the current status of things is.

Or he could just ignore the warnings about 32/64 bit issues n the ebuild and
use nspluginwrapper.

That's what I use on latest Firefox, Konqueror, Chrome, Rekons and Arora. It
works everywhere but flash does use excessive CPU, but that is a
characteristic of flash, not of the wrapper....

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 08-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Mike Edenfield

On 8/16/2010 2:13 PM, Stéphane Guedon wrote:
> I have read several things about this, but never really solved !
>
> Can I emerge a 32bits software on 64bits platform with a multilib profile ?
>
> All my web browsers (konqueror, opera, chromium, firefox) are 64bits, whereas
> flash player exist currently in 32bits. So, I need to have 32bits browser ! Can
> I emerge ?

* There are a few binary packages in Portage that are 32-bit binaries.
In your case, specifically, there is firefox-bin and chromium-bin.
Those should emerge and run fine on a multilib system, after emerging
the correct 32-bit compatibility packages. Note that Flash will run *a
lot* slower than you're probably used to in this setup.

* For other web browsers, you could build your own 32-bit software on
the 64-bit system. That's trickier, but there is a cross-dev system
available in portage you can use to ease the pain a bit. Personally I'd
just go with one of the binary browser packages.

* You could try using the nspluginwrapper package, which was built just
for this purpose (loading 32-bit plugins into a 64-bit browser). Flash
only worked sporadically for me under nspluginwrapper, but apparently
others have a lot of success with it.

* Or, you can do what I did, and mask off adobe-flash-10.0.53*, so you
will still have the 64-bit Flash Player available until Adobe gets their
act together and releases a newer version. It limits you to those Flash
applications where you already know and trust the publisher, since
there's a list as long as my arm of security fixes in 10.0.53.64, but
that's good enough for me for now.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Bill Longman

On 08/17/2010 06:43 AM, Mike Edenfield wrote:
> On 8/16/2010 2:13 PM, Stéphane Guedon wrote:
>> I have read several things about this, but never really solved !
>>
>> Can I emerge a 32bits software on 64bits platform with a multilib profile ?
>>
>> All my web browsers (konqueror, opera, chromium, firefox) are 64bits, whereas
>> flash player exist currently in 32bits. So, I need to have 32bits browser ! Can
>> I emerge ?

Well, you can certainly make a 32 bit chroot directory and compile
things in there. That works on x86_64 quite nicely. (Never tried it on
the sparcs 'coz I got rid of the SPARCstations long ago.)

I don't know how you'd peel out the results of your compile and place
them into your 64 bit "host" without mucking up things. I guess you
could use binpkg or some such but you'd still have the problem of
unwrapping the 32 bit pkg in your 64 bit host. Yuck.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Stéphane Guedon

Le Tuesday 17 August 2010 21:24:59, Bill Longman a écrit :
> On 08/17/2010 06:43 AM, Mike Edenfield wrote:
> > On 8/16/2010 2:13 PM, Stéphane Guedon wrote:
> >> I have read several things about this, but never really solved !
> >>
> >> Can I emerge a 32bits software on 64bits platform with a multilib
> >> profile ?
> >>
> >> All my web browsers (konqueror, opera, chromium, firefox) are 64bits,
> >> whereas flash player exist currently in 32bits. So, I need to have
> >> 32bits browser ! Can I emerge ?
>
> Well, you can certainly make a 32 bit chroot directory and compile
> things in there. That works on x86_64 quite nicely. (Never tried it on
> the sparcs 'coz I got rid of the SPARCstations long ago.)
>
> I don't know how you'd peel out the results of your compile and place
> them into your 64 bit "host" without mucking up things. I guess you
> could use binpkg or some such but you'd still have the problem of
> unwrapping the 32 bit pkg in your 64 bit host. Yuck.

I have simply used the 10.0.42 plugin which have a native 64 bit version...

Thanks !

Old 08-18-2010, 11:26 PM
Nikos Chantziaras