FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-19-2008, 02:28 AM
Mike Diehl
 
Default Can't emerge apache

Hi all,

I'm building a new machine and I'm having trouble getting apache to emerge.

This is a BRAND NEW BOX, with nothing else done to it, so I expected apache to
load just fine.

Here is the error message I'm getting. Any help would be appreciated.
Mike.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

g++: /usr/lib/gcc/i486-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/crtbeginS.o: No such file or
directory
g++: /usr/lib/gcc/i486-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/crtendS.o: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [libapr-1.la] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/apr-1.2.11/work/apr-1.2.11'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
*
* ERROR: dev-libs/apr-1.2.11 failed.
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 1701: Called dyn_compile
* ebuild.sh, line 1039: Called qa_call 'src_compile'
* ebuild.sh, line 44: Called src_compile
* apr-1.2.11.ebuild, line 68: Called die
* The specific snippet of code:
* emake || die "Make failed"
* The die message:
* Make failed
*
* If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if
relevant.
* A complete build log is located
at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/apr-1.2.11/temp/build.log'.
*

* Messages for package dev-libs/apr-1.2.11:

*
* ERROR: dev-libs/apr-1.2.11 failed.
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 1701: Called dyn_compile
* ebuild.sh, line 1039: Called qa_call 'src_compile'
* ebuild.sh, line 44: Called src_compile
* apr-1.2.11.ebuild, line 68: Called die
* The specific snippet of code:
* emake || die "Make failed"
* The die message:
* Make failed
*
* If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if
relevant.
* A complete build log is located
at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/apr-1.2.11/temp/build.log'.

--
Mike Diehl
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Roman Zilka
 
Default Can't emerge apache

Hi Mike!

> g++: /usr/lib/gcc/i486-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/crtbeginS.o: No such file or
> directory
> g++: /usr/lib/gcc/i486-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/crtendS.o: No such file or directory

i486 - this is kinda weird for a brand new box. What's does your
'emerge --info' look like? Maybe you've got a wrong CHOST set up. What
does 'ls /usr/lib/gcc/*/*/crt*S.o' report (just to be sure)? Are you
able to emerge any other packages?

-rz
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Can't emerge apache

On Saturday 19 January 2008, Mike Diehl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm building a new machine and I'm having trouble getting apache to
> emerge.
>
> This is a BRAND NEW BOX, with nothing else done to it, so I expected
> apache to load just fine.
>
> Here is the error message I'm getting. Any help would be
> appreciated. Mike.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>----------------------------------
>
> g++: /usr/lib/gcc/i486-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/crtbeginS.o: No such file
> or directory

The equivalent file here (i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.2/) was installed by gcc

What settings are you using for gcc? And any special reason you have an
i486 compiler?

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Kevin
 
Default Can't emerge apache

Mike Diehl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm building a new machine and I'm having trouble getting apache to emerge.
>
> This is a BRAND NEW BOX, with nothing else done to it, so I expected apache to
> load just fine.
>
> Here is the error message I'm getting. Any help would be appreciated.
> Mike.
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> g++: /usr/lib/gcc/i486-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/crtbeginS.o: No such file or
> directory
> g++: /usr/lib/gcc/i486-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/crtendS.o: No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [libapr-1.la] Error 1
g'.
>

Mike, also post the output of "gcc-config -l" (along with emerge --info
that was previously recommended). I would really fix the 486 compiler
issue before proceeding any further with your new box.
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Mike Diehl
 
Default Can't emerge apache

On Saturday 19 January 2008 03:12:23 am Roman Zilka wrote:
> Hi Mike!
>
> > g++: /usr/lib/gcc/i486-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/crtbeginS.o: No such file or
> > directory
> > g++: /usr/lib/gcc/i486-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/crtendS.o: No such file or
> > directory
>
> i486 - this is kinda weird for a brand new box.

Ya, very weird. Here is what I've got in /etc/make.conf:
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"

USE="-acl -cups -dri -fortran -gpm -iconv -ipv6 -isdnlog -midi -mudflap -nls
-openmp -pppd -reflection -session -tcpd -truetype-fonts -type1-fonts
-unicode -xorg"

Seems rational to me. The box is going to be a stripped-down server.

> What's does your
> 'emerge --info' look like?
> Maybe you've got a wrong CHOST set up. What
> does 'ls /usr/lib/gcc/*/*/crt*S.o' report (just to be sure)? Are you
> able to emerge any other packages?
>
> -rz

# gcc-config -l
[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.2 *

# ls /usr/lib/gcc/*/*/crt*S.o
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/crtbeginS.o /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/crtendS.o

It almost seems like it might be easier to start over.... What do you think?

--
Mike Diehl
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-20-2008, 07:09 AM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Can't emerge apache

On Sunday 20 January 2008, Mike Diehl wrote:
> On Saturday 19 January 2008 03:12:23 am Roman Zilka wrote:
> > Hi Mike!
> >
> > > g++: /usr/lib/gcc/i486-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/crtbeginS.o: No such
> > > file or directory
> > > g++: /usr/lib/gcc/i486-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/crtendS.o: No such file
> > > or directory
> >
> > i486 - this is kinda weird for a brand new box.
>
> Ya, very weird. Here is what I've got in /etc/make.conf:
> CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
> MAKEOPTS="-j2"

Did you install from a stage3? You probably have not rebuilt gcc then.

> USE="-acl -cups -dri -fortran -gpm -iconv -ipv6 -isdnlog -midi
> -mudflap -nls -openmp -pppd -reflection -session -tcpd
> -truetype-fonts -type1-fonts -unicode -xorg"
>
> Seems rational to me. The box is going to be a stripped-down server.
>
> > What's does your
> > 'emerge --info' look like?
> > Maybe you've got a wrong CHOST set up. What
> > does 'ls /usr/lib/gcc/*/*/crt*S.o' report (just to be sure)? Are
> > you able to emerge any other packages?
> >
> > -rz
>
> # gcc-config -l
> [1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.2 *
>
> # ls /usr/lib/gcc/*/*/crt*S.o
> /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/crtbeginS.o
> /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/crtendS.o
>
> It almost seems like it might be easier to start over.... What do
> you think?

No, that will probably just land you up in exactly the same position.
This isn't Windows where reinstalls produce random different results
every time :-)

Somehow apr is confused about which version of gcc you have. Rebuild
your tool chain and try again.


--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:06 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org