Old 08-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Dale

Default Yahoo and strange traffic.

Hi folks,

I been noticing the past few weeks that something is communicating with
Yahoo at these addresses:

cs210p2.msg.sp1.yahoo.com

rdis.msg.vip.sp1.yahoo.com

I thought it was Kopete getting some info, profile pics maybe, from the
server. Thing is, it does this for a really long time. It is also
SENDING data as well. I have no idea why it is doing this or what it is
sending. I closed the Kopete app but the data still carries on. This
"transfer" has been going for a while now and the only way I can stop it
is to stop the network, wait a minute or two for it to time out and then
restart the network.

Anybody have any idea what the heck this is? Is Yahoo up to something?
Some new security issue that I haven't heard of?

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 08-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Paul Hartman

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I been noticing the past few weeks that something is communicating with
> Yahoo at these addresses:
>
> cs210p2.msg.sp1.yahoo.com
>
> rdis.msg.vip.sp1.yahoo.com
>
> I thought it was Kopete getting some info, profile pics maybe, from the
> server. Thing is, it does this for a really long time. It is also SENDING
> data as well. I have no idea why it is doing this or what it is sending. I
> closed the Kopete app but the data still carries on. This "transfer" has
> been going for a while now and the only way I can stop it is to stop the
> network, wait a minute or two for it to time out and then restart the
> network.
>
> Anybody have any idea what the heck this is? Is Yahoo up to something?
> Some new security issue that I haven't heard of?

I think it's normal.

The first address is one of their pool of messaging servers and the
second is a web server, probably like you said for retrieving
additional info. The sending of data could be the http request, or
updating your status/picture/whatever kopete may be doing. You could
try blocking it and see what breaks.