Old 08-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default problems building x11-libs/gtk+-2.20.1-r1

On Friday 13 August 2010 16:09:48 Tamer Higazi wrote:
> Hi people!
> I am in front of a disaster updating my gentoo system. Now the system
> is shot, and I am not capable starting the gnome-manager:
>
> at the end it says only:
>
> checking Pango flags... configure: error:
> *** Pango not found. Pango built with Cairo support is required
> *** to build GTK+. See http://www.pango.org for Pango information.

Did you read this? It says to build pango with cairo support.

Did you build pango with cairo support?

Don't just say yes, prove it with output from eg. eix

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 08-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Bill Longman

On 08/13/2010 08:22 AM, Tamer Higazi wrote:
> As you told me I merged "lafilefixer" and ran lafilefixer --justfixit
>
> then I executed revdep-rebuild which wants to remerge a huge amout of
> packages who because "libpangocairo-1.0.so.0" was missing, or couldn't
> be linked at the end, revdep-rebuild wants to emerge a package called
> "eel" which is masked:
>
> !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "gnome-base/eel" have been masked.
> !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
> - gnome-base/eel-2.24.1 (masked by: package.mask)
> /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
> # Pacho Ramos <pacho@gentoo.org> (12 Jul 2010)
> # Masked for removal in 30 days.
> # No longer developed by upstream, fails with forced as-needed (bug #277169),
> # does not compile against gnome-desktop-2.30 (bug #311563).
>
> but I want to upgrade my system, and love to solve this Pango Cairo problem....
>
> if you have anymore ideas, I would thank you.

Do you know about the "-t" option for emerge? It shows you which package
is responsible for "pulling in" another package.

You might also want to try "euse -I cairo" which will tell you which
packages are affected by the cairo use flag.

Your "emerge --info" shows that you do have cairo turned on, but as Alan
states, you should show "emerge -pv pango" or "emerge -pv cairo" (or
whatever package you're trying to fix). Pango doesn't has a specific
"cairo" use flag so you may need to recompile pango's dependencies.

Basically, what you're trying to do is step back from the package that's
giving you the trouble, and compile the packages that your problematic
package needs to function. Obviously, this is a geometric expansion to
some extent, but revdep-rebuild is there to help you solve the puzzle.

Also, qdepends is really handy.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Alex Schuster

Alan McKinnon writes:

> On Friday 13 August 2010 16:09:48 Tamer Higazi wrote:

> > checking Pango flags... configure: error:
> > *** Pango not found. Pango built with Cairo support is required
> > *** to build GTK+. See http://www.pango.org for Pango information.
>
> Did you read this? It says to build pango with cairo support.
>
> Did you build pango with cairo support?
>
> Don't just say yes, prove it with output from eg. eix

He didn't, as there is no cairo use flag for pango, eix pango|grep cairo
returns nothing.

Wonko

Old 08-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Tamer Higazi

Hi Alex!
I solved the problem. There's a workaround! I had to merge at first
cairo and then pango. This is what gentoo didn't make, the hell I know
why.....

Tamer

Old 08-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Tamer Higazi

pango could be built without cairo support, the configure script should
have checked if pango was built with cairo support.

Tamer