FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Massimiliano Ziccardi
 
Default Problem with revdep-rebuild

Hi all!

I'm trying to update my gentoo after a long time.

I tried the update (emerge -uD world) but I got some problem about conflicting and missing libraries, so I've uninstalled some software.



After that, I ran an revdep-rebuild, but it do not works.

When it tries to emerge xfce4-panel it always gives this error during the build process:

/usr/lib/libxfce4util.la: No such file or directory



I tried to re-emerge the libxfce4util package, but with no luck : that file do not exists!!!

Any idea?

Thanks in advance,
Massimiliano
 
Old 08-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Alex Schuster
 
Default Problem with revdep-rebuild

Massimiliano Ziccardi writes:

> I'm trying to update my gentoo after a long time.

That tends to be more problematic than regular updates.

> I tried the update (emerge -uD world) but I got some problem about
> conflicting and missing libraries, so I've uninstalled some software.

portage 2.2 may ease these things, it does some automatic blocker
resolution (does not work always for me, but most of the times). It is
still masked, but people use it for far over a year now, and I did not
read about big problems.


> When it tries to emerge xfce4-panel it always gives this error during
> the build process:
>
> /usr/lib/libxfce4util.la: No such file or directory
>
> I tried to re-emerge the libxfce4util package, but with no luck : that
> file do not exists!!!
>
> Any idea?

Maybe give 'lafilefixer --justfixit' a try? Emerge lafilefixer if you do
not have it already.

Have you read all he elog messages? They sometimes tell about additional
manual steps that have to be done.

Wonko
 
Old 08-14-2010, 01:26 AM
Jake Moe
 
Default Problem with revdep-rebuild

On 08/13/10 23:50, Alex Schuster wrote:
> Massimiliano Ziccardi writes:
>
>> I'm trying to update my gentoo after a long time.
> That tends to be more problematic than regular updates.
>
>> I tried the update (emerge -uD world) but I got some problem about
>> conflicting and missing libraries, so I've uninstalled some software.
> portage 2.2 may ease these things, it does some automatic blocker
> resolution (does not work always for me, but most of the times). It is
> still masked, but people use it for far over a year now, and I did not
> read about big problems.
>
>
>> When it tries to emerge xfce4-panel it always gives this error during
>> the build process:
>>
>> /usr/lib/libxfce4util.la: No such file or directory
>>
>> I tried to re-emerge the libxfce4util package, but with no luck : that
>> file do not exists!!!
>>
>> Any idea?
> Maybe give 'lafilefixer --justfixit' a try? Emerge lafilefixer if you do
> not have it already.
>
> Have you read all he elog messages? They sometimes tell about additional
> manual steps that have to be done.
>
> Wonko
Well, on my system, that file does belong to libxfce4util:

jmoe@aus8617 ~ $ equery belongs /usr/lib/libxfce4util.la
[ Searching for file(s) /usr/lib/libxfce4util.la in *... ]
xfce-base/libxfce4util-4.6.2 (/usr/lib/libxfce4util.la)

What does the screen say when it gets to the install phase of emerge?
Any errors there, especially with that file?

Jake Moe
 
Old 08-16-2010, 07:54 AM
Massimiliano Ziccardi
 
Default Problem with revdep-rebuild

Thanks all.
Installing portage 2 and uninstalling some other package now I'm able to update the system.

I've uninstalled xfce, firefox (??!) and kde.

Now the update seems to proceed. Then I'll reinstall everything.



However, I tried emerge belong on my system, but it gave me no output:

"
# equery belongs /usr/lib/libxfce4util.la
[ Searching for file(s) /usr/lib/libxfce4util.la in *... ]


#
"
On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 3:26 AM, Jake Moe <jakesaddress@gmail.com> wrote:


*On 08/13/10 23:50, Alex Schuster wrote:

> Massimiliano Ziccardi writes:

>

>> I'm trying to update my gentoo after a long time.

> That tends to be more problematic than regular updates.

>

>> I tried the update (emerge -uD world) but I got some problem about

>> conflicting and missing libraries, so I've uninstalled some software.

> portage 2.2 may ease these things, it does some automatic blocker

> resolution (does not work always for me, but most of the times). It is

> still masked, but people use it for far over a year now, and I did not

> read about big problems.

>

>

>> When it tries to emerge xfce4-panel it always gives this error during

>> the build process:

>>

>> /usr/lib/libxfce4util.la: No such file or directory

>>

>> I tried to re-emerge the libxfce4util package, but with no luck : that

>> file do not exists!!!

>>

>> Any idea?

> Maybe give 'lafilefixer --justfixit' a try? Emerge lafilefixer if you do

> not have it already.

>

> Have you read all he elog messages? They sometimes tell about additional

> manual steps that have to be done.

>

> * * * Wonko

Well, on my system, that file does belong to libxfce4util:



jmoe@aus8617 ~ $ equery belongs /usr/lib/libxfce4util.la

[ Searching for file(s) /usr/lib/libxfce4util.la in *... ]

xfce-base/libxfce4util-4.6.2 (/usr/lib/libxfce4util.la)



What does the screen say when it gets to the install phase of emerge?

Any errors there, especially with that file?



Jake Moe
 
Old 08-16-2010, 08:13 AM
Dale
 
Default Problem with revdep-rebuild

Massimiliano Ziccardi wrote:

Thanks all.
Installing portage 2 and uninstalling some other package now I'm able
to update the system.


I've uninstalled xfce, firefox (??!) and kde.

Now the update seems to proceed. Then I'll reinstall everything.

However, I tried emerge belong on my system, but it gave me no output:

"
# equery belongs /usr/lib/libxfce4util.la <http://libxfce4util.la>
[ Searching for file(s) /usr/lib/libxfce4util.la
<http://libxfce4util.la> in *... ]

#
"


Equery doesn't give any results because it is not installed. When you
need to know what package gives you a file or command, try this:


http://www.portagefilelist.de/index.php/Special:PFLQuery2?file=%2Fusr%2Flib%2Flibxfce4util .la&searchfile=lookup&lookup=file#result

That also shows what package that file belongs to.

Dale

:-) :-)
 
Old 08-16-2010, 09:31 AM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default Problem with revdep-rebuild

On Monday 16 August 2010 09:13:29 Dale wrote:
> Massimiliano Ziccardi wrote:
> > # equery belongs /usr/lib/libxfce4util.la <http://libxfce4util.la>
> > [ Searching for file(s) /usr/lib/libxfce4util.la
> > <http://libxfce4util.la> in *... ]
> > #
> > "
>
> Equery doesn't give any results because it is not installed.

If it weren't installed it wouldn't be able to announce what it was
searching for and where :-)

--
Rgds
Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.
 
Old 08-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Dale
 
Default Problem with revdep-rebuild

Peter Humphrey wrote:

On Monday 16 August 2010 09:13:29 Dale wrote:


Massimiliano Ziccardi wrote:


# equery belongs /usr/lib/libxfce4util.la<http://libxfce4util.la>
[ Searching for file(s) /usr/lib/libxfce4util.la
<http://libxfce4util.la> in *... ]
#
"


Equery doesn't give any results because it is not installed.


If it weren't installed it wouldn't be able to announce what it was
searching for and where :-)




Some new people think it knows where things come from even if it is not
installed. It can't do that so I posted that in case the person didn't
know. Then I posted a way to find out even if a package is not
installed. I didn't know about that website until someone pointed it
out to me many ages ago.


It would be neat if it could do that tho. Just have no idea how it
could. ;-)


Dale

:-) :-)
 
Old 08-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Massimiliano Ziccardi
 
Default Problem with revdep-rebuild

Some new people think it knows where things come from even if it is not
installed. *It can't do that so I posted that in case the person didn't
know.

Well, I'm not very expert about gentoo... I though it would query some kind of database to ask what package contains a certain file....

Now I know it works differently...



It would be neat if it could do that tho. *Just have no idea how it could. *;-)

I think querying an online database could be a nice solution.

Thanks!

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:


Peter Humphrey wrote:


On Monday 16 August 2010 09:13:29 Dale wrote:

*


Massimiliano Ziccardi wrote:

* *


# equery belongs /usr/lib/libxfce4util.la<http://libxfce4util.la>

[ Searching for file(s) /usr/lib/libxfce4util.la

<http://libxfce4util.la> *in *... ]

#

"

* * *


Equery doesn't give any results because it is not installed.

* *


If it weren't installed it wouldn't be able to announce what it was

searching for and where * :-)



*




Some new people think it knows where things come from even if it is not installed. *It can't do that so I posted that in case the person didn't know. *Then I posted a way to find out even if a package is not installed. *I didn't know about that website until someone pointed it out to me many ages ago.





It would be neat if it could do that tho. *Just have no idea how it could. *;-)



Dale



:-) *:-)
 
Old 08-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Problem with revdep-rebuild

On Monday 16 August 2010 11:38:17 Dale wrote:
> Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > On Monday 16 August 2010 09:13:29 Dale wrote:
> >> Massimiliano Ziccardi wrote:
> >>> # equery belongs /usr/lib/libxfce4util.la<http://libxfce4util.la>
> >>> [ Searching for file(s) /usr/lib/libxfce4util.la
> >>> <http://libxfce4util.la> in *... ]
> >>> #
> >>> "
> >>
> >> Equery doesn't give any results because it is not installed.
> >
> > If it weren't installed it wouldn't be able to announce what it was
> > searching for and where :-)
>
> Some new people think it knows where things come from even if it is not
> installed. It can't do that so I posted that in case the person didn't
> know. Then I posted a way to find out even if a package is not
> installed. I didn't know about that website until someone pointed it
> out to me many ages ago.
>
> It would be neat if it could do that tho. Just have no idea how it
> could. ;-)

It would have to consult a database of file->package mappings. For already
installed packages, it simply looks in /var/ locally - an excellent high-
quality database of such already exists there :-)

For not already installed packages, it would have to look out on the
intartubes for the site you mentioned or something similar. A portage dev
would have to be batshit insane to even try that as the results are "fuzzy".
There are filename collisions to deal with, plus the fact that you don't know
what a package installs till someone builds it. And then there's the carnage
caused by USE flags - my list of installed files for a package is likely
different to yours.

A hallmark of portage is that it deals in definitive data - results are always
exact, unambiguous and deterministic - especially deterministic.

Google for instance, is none of these things. Google results are "good
enough". Mixing portage's view of data with google's view of data will break
portage is many many horrible ways and make your life (as someone who helps
others on this list) miserable - users *will* trust such a lookup tool to be
definitive.

Which all goes to say you should resist the creation of any such lookup tool
with every fibre of your being :-)


--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 
Old 08-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default Problem with revdep-rebuild

On Monday 16 August 2010 10:38:17 Dale wrote:

> I didn't know about that website until someone pointed it out to me
> many ages ago.

I didn't either until you mentioned it, for which thanks.

:-)

--
Rgds
Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:35 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org