Old 08-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Bill Longman

Default Problem with revdep-rebuild

On 08/16/2010 02:57 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
<lots of good stuff snipped>
> Which all goes to say you should resist the creation of any such lookup tool
> with every fibre of your being :-)

Alan, if I ever get near your part of your continent, I'm going to buy
you a beer....

Old 08-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Jake Moe

On 08/16/10 19:47, Massimiliano Ziccardi wrote:
>> Some new people think it knows where things come from even if it is not
>> installed. It can't do that so I posted that in case the person didn't
>> know.
>>
> Well, I'm not very expert about gentoo... I though it would query some kind
> of database to ask what package contains a certain file....
>
> Now I know it works differently...
>
> It would be neat if it could do that tho. Just have no idea how it could.
>> ;-)
>>
> I think querying an online database could be a nice solution.
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Peter Humphrey wrote:

>>> If it weren't installed it wouldn't be able to announce what it was
>>> searching for and where :-)
>> Some new people think it knows where things come from even if it is not
>> installed. It can't do that so I posted that in case the person didn't
>> know. Then I posted a way to find out even if a package is not installed.
>> I didn't know about that website until someone pointed it out to me many
>> ages ago.
>>
>> It would be neat if it could do that tho. Just have no idea how it could.
>> ;-)
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)
Yeah, sorry, I only included that "equery belongs" bit last time to show
that it was installed on my system, and that the libxfce4util package
installed it. I didn't mean to say you should look for it there; it's
not going to find it, as has been pointed out before. My only point was
that emerging libxfce4util *should* have installed that file; since it
didn't, I would assume you need to look at that emerge process to find
out why; either it's not building it for some reason, or not installing
it after it's been built.

Jake Moe

Old 08-20-2010, 08:39 AM
Massimiliano Ziccardi

Hi all!
Thanks to your beautiful support, I solved my issue!
Again, as usual, I've to send my compliments to this mailing list: every time I've a problem here there is someone that tries to help me (and usually solves my problems)!

Moreover, simply reading the ML I always learn new commands that reduces my needs to bother you here!

Thank you all! You are just great!
(can't say the same of other distribution's mailing lists.... )

Massimiliano