FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default emerge conflict

On Friday 13 August 2010 16:04:53 Frank Schwidom wrote:
> Hi
>
> i get the error:
>
> {
> !!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been
> pulled
> !!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:
>
> media-libs/libpng:0
>
> ('ebuild', '/', 'media-libs/libpng-1.4.3', 'merge') pulled in by
>
> >=media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r2:0 required by ('ebuild', '/',
> >'x11-libs/cairo-1.8.10', 'merge')
> >=media-libs/libpng-1.4 required by ('ebuild', '/',
> >'x11-libs/gtk+-2.20.1-r1', 'merge')
>
> (and 27 more)
> }
>
> And i wonder that it seems not to be possible to install both libs
> (libpng-1.2.43-r2:0, libpng-1.4) in the same time. Linux is actually
> able to manage this by the lib-version and links.

You have misread the portage output. It does not say it wants those versions.
It says this:

>=media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r2:0
>=media-libs/libpng-1.4

Note the greater than or equal to.

The limiting factor to multiple versions is not Linux, it is portage. Portage
will not co-install two versions in the same SLOT.

> Did i have overseen any gentoo switch that makes is possible? Or is
> there any other option?

This whole libpng mess was a right royal fuck up several months ago. I forget
the specifics but IIRC a decent solution was

emerge -C libpng
emerge libpng
revdep-rebuild

The last step takes some time to complete, there is a lot of fall-out to deal
with.

As you are only hitting this now, I assume you have a stable system and are
not using the masked versions of portage. @preserved-rebuild would save you
lots of pain, but that feature is not available in stable versions of portage.

For more info, check the archives. There is more mail there about this than
you could ever possibly want to read.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 
Old 08-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Mark Knecht
 
Default emerge conflict

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 7:04 AM, Frank Schwidom <schwidom@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> i get the error:
>
> {
> !!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been
> pulled
> !!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:
>
> media-libs/libpng:0
>
> *('ebuild', '/', 'media-libs/libpng-1.4.3', 'merge') pulled in by
> * *>=media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r2:0 required by ('ebuild', '/',
> * *>'x11-libs/cairo-1.8.10', 'merge')
> * *>=media-libs/libpng-1.4 required by ('ebuild', '/',
> * *>'x11-libs/gtk+-2.20.1-r1', 'merge')
> * *(and 27 more)
> }
>
> And i wonder that it seems not to be possible to install both libs
> (libpng-1.2.43-r2:0, libpng-1.4) in the same time. Linux is actually
> able to manage this by the lib-version and links.
>
> Did i have overseen any gentoo switch that makes is possible? Or is
> there any other option?
>
> Regards
>
>
>
>

This was a big problem maybe a couple of months ago? I'm surprised you
made it this far!

There are some instructions here that will likely help:

http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2010/06/29/stable-users-libpng-update

Good luck,
Mark
 
Old 08-13-2010, 01:17 PM
"J. Roeleveld"
 
Default emerge conflict

On Friday 13 August 2010 14:15:59 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Friday 13 August 2010 16:04:53 Frank Schwidom wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > i get the error:
> >
> > {
> > !!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been
> > pulled
> > !!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:
> >
> > media-libs/libpng:0
> >
> > ('ebuild', '/', 'media-libs/libpng-1.4.3', 'merge') pulled in by
> >
> > >=media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r2:0 required by ('ebuild', '/',
> > >'x11-libs/cairo-1.8.10', 'merge')
> > >=media-libs/libpng-1.4 required by ('ebuild', '/',
> > >'x11-libs/gtk+-2.20.1-r1', 'merge')
> >
> > (and 27 more)
> >
> > }
> >
> > And i wonder that it seems not to be possible to install both libs
> > (libpng-1.2.43-r2:0, libpng-1.4) in the same time. Linux is actually
> > able to manage this by the lib-version and links.
>
> You have misread the portage output. It does not say it wants those
> versions.
>
> It says this:
> >=media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r2:0
> >=media-libs/libpng-1.4
>
> Note the greater than or equal to.
>
> The limiting factor to multiple versions is not Linux, it is portage.
> Portage will not co-install two versions in the same SLOT.
>
> > Did i have overseen any gentoo switch that makes is possible? Or is
> > there any other option?
>
> This whole libpng mess was a right royal fuck up several months ago. I
> forget the specifics but IIRC a decent solution was
>
> emerge -C libpng
> emerge libpng
> revdep-rebuild
>
> The last step takes some time to complete, there is a lot of fall-out to
> deal with.
>
> As you are only hitting this now, I assume you have a stable system and are
> not using the masked versions of portage. @preserved-rebuild would save you
> lots of pain, but that feature is not available in stable versions of
> portage.
>
> For more info, check the archives. There is more mail there about this than
> you could ever possibly want to read.

I actually hit this myself yesterday.
When emerging "libpng", it mentions a script that needs to be run. I would
suggest running that script.

I think the following commands were the ones that led to a properly upgraded
system. It is now working for me, but it did take quite a while.
**
emerge -vauD --newuse world
lafilefixer --justfixit
/usr/sbin/libpng-1.4.x-update.sh
emerge -vauD --newuse world
revdep-rebuild -- -va
emerge -vauD --newuse world
**

Alternatively, you could always try to one that should always work:

emerge -vae world
(NOTE: This will rebuild _everything_)

Btw, if you are using KDE, you might, like me, also hit issues with akonadi
not starting (I couldn't not use it anymore)
Post on the list if you hit it, I still have these fresh in my mind

--
Joost
 
Old 08-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Frank Schwidom
 
Default emerge conflict

Hi

i get the error:

{
!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been
pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

media-libs/libpng:0

('ebuild', '/', 'media-libs/libpng-1.4.3', 'merge') pulled in by
>=media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r2:0 required by ('ebuild', '/',
>'x11-libs/cairo-1.8.10', 'merge')
>=media-libs/libpng-1.4 required by ('ebuild', '/',
>'x11-libs/gtk+-2.20.1-r1', 'merge')
(and 27 more)
}

And i wonder that it seems not to be possible to install both libs
(libpng-1.2.43-r2:0, libpng-1.4) in the same time. Linux is actually
able to manage this by the lib-version and links.

Did i have overseen any gentoo switch that makes is possible? Or is
there any other option?

Regards
 
Old 08-13-2010, 02:32 PM
"J. Roeleveld"
 
Default emerge conflict

On Friday 13 August 2010 15:36:23 Daniel Wagener wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 15:17:50 +0200
>
> "J. Roeleveld" <joost@antarean.org> wrote:
> > On Friday 13 August 2010 14:15:59 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > > On Friday 13 August 2010 16:04:53 Frank Schwidom wrote:
> > > > Hi
> > > >
> > > > i get the error:
> > > >
> > > > {
> > > > !!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have
> > > > been pulled
> > > > !!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:
> > > >
> > > > media-libs/libpng:0
> > > >
> > > > ('ebuild', '/', 'media-libs/libpng-1.4.3', 'merge') pulled in by
> > > >
> > > > >=media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r2:0 required by ('ebuild', '/',
> > > > >'x11-libs/cairo-1.8.10', 'merge')
> > > > >=media-libs/libpng-1.4 required by ('ebuild', '/',
> > > > >'x11-libs/gtk+-2.20.1-r1', 'merge')
> > > >
> > > > (and 27 more)
> > > >
> > > > }
> > > >
> > > > And i wonder that it seems not to be possible to install both libs
> > > > (libpng-1.2.43-r2:0, libpng-1.4) in the same time. Linux is
> > > > actually able to manage this by the lib-version and links.
> > >
> > > You have misread the portage output. It does not say it wants those
> > > versions.
> > >
> > > It says this:
> > > >=media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r2:0
> > > >=media-libs/libpng-1.4
> > >
> > > Note the greater than or equal to.
> > >
> > > The limiting factor to multiple versions is not Linux, it is
> > > portage. Portage will not co-install two versions in the same SLOT.
> > >
> > > > Did i have overseen any gentoo switch that makes is possible? Or
> > > > is there any other option?
> > >
> > > This whole libpng mess was a right royal fuck up several months
> > > ago. I forget the specifics but IIRC a decent solution was
> > >
> > > emerge -C libpng
> > > emerge libpng
> > > revdep-rebuild
> > >
> > > The last step takes some time to complete, there is a lot of
> > > fall-out to deal with.
> > >
> > > As you are only hitting this now, I assume you have a stable system
> > > and are not using the masked versions of portage.
> > > @preserved-rebuild would save you lots of pain, but that feature is
> > > not available in stable versions of portage.
> > >
> > > For more info, check the archives. There is more mail there about
> > > this than you could ever possibly want to read.
> >
> > I actually hit this myself yesterday.
> > When emerging "libpng", it mentions a script that needs to be run. I
> > would suggest running that script.
> >
> > I think the following commands were the ones that led to a properly
> > upgraded system. It is now working for me, but it did take quite a
> > while. **
> > emerge -vauD --newuse world
> > lafilefixer --justfixit
> > /usr/sbin/libpng-1.4.x-update.sh
> > emerge -vauD --newuse world
> > revdep-rebuild -- -va
> > emerge -vauD --newuse world
> > **
> >
> > Alternatively, you could always try to one that should always work:
> >
> > emerge -vae world
> > (NOTE: This will rebuild _everything_)
> >
> > Btw, if you are using KDE, you might, like me, also hit issues with
> > akonadi not starting (I couldn't not use it anymore)
> > Post on the list if you hit it, I still have these fresh in my mind
> >
> > --
> > Joost
>
> This script is hopefully not the hack, that is said to be a problem in
> the future?
>
> http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2010/06/29/stable-users-libpng-update

Eeerh....
Not sure, guess I stopped reading too soon as I managed to get it to appear to
be working...

Anyway, am currently doing a " emerge -vae world " as I want to get it all
compiled using GCC 4.4. Guess that should 'fix' whatever damage that script
does?

--
Joost
 
Old 08-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default emerge conflict

On Friday 13 August 2010 15:36:23 Daniel Wagener wrote:
> This script is hopefully not the hack, that is said to be a problem in
> the future?
>
> http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2010/06/29/stable-users-libpng-update


When flameyes says to do something X in regard to a build, and someone else
says to do something different, then in almost all cases (regardless of how
authoritative the other person sounds), you should do what flameeyes says.

ESPECIALLY the blog entry Daniel mentioned.



--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 
Old 08-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Dale
 
Default emerge conflict

Alan McKinnon wrote:

On Friday 13 August 2010 15:36:23 Daniel Wagener wrote:


This script is hopefully not the hack, that is said to be a problem in
the future?

http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2010/06/29/stable-users-libpng-update



When flameyes says to do something X in regard to a build, and someone else
says to do something different, then in almost all cases (regardless of how
authoritative the other person sounds), you should do what flameeyes says.

ESPECIALLY the blog entry Daniel mentioned.




+1 His way of doing things has saved me issues several times. Is the
guy a cyborg or something? :/


Dale

:-) :-)
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:28 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org