Old 08-13-2010, 05:10 AM
BRM

Default b43-legacy and newer linux kernels?

I have a laptop that has been running Linux Kernel 2.6.30 Gentoo-R8 (gentoo
sources, don't remember which version) for a while. It has a Broadcom 4306 Rev 2
wireless card that has been working well with that kernel. I extracted the
firmware from the broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5 blob a while ago using b43-fwcutter
011. I have to hard-code the network settings in /etc/conf.d/net for my home
network, but am able to use wpa_supplicant whenever I go elsewhere. (I think
it's my home wireless router that causes the issue; probably needs a firmware
upgrade.)

Any how, I recently upgraded to Linux Kernel 2.6.34 Gentoo-R7 (gentoo-sources
2.6.34-r1); again using the b43-legacy driver for the wireless. However, now I
can't keep a network connection up. I keep getting errors from the
/etc/init.d/net.wlan0 startup - namely: SIOCSIFFLAGS Unknown Error 132. I had to
reboot onto the older kernel to write this message and try to research the issue
a little.

From on-line, some sites suggest the following as a solution:

rmmod ath9k
rfkill block all
rfkill unblock all
modprobe ath9k
rfkill unblock all
however, rfkill seems to only be in testing for gentoo
(http://packages.gentoo.org/package/net-wireless/rfkill), and I'm using the
b43-legacy instead of the ath9k driver - okay, no problem there, just switch out
which driver is unloaded and reloaded. Haven't tried it yet as I have to reboot;
but even so - they are saying this has to be done on every reboot, and that's
not much of a solution.

Further, I can't seem to find a version of b43-fwcutter that will extract any of
the b43-legacy firmware - even the one I had successfully extracted (011, 012,
13).

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know if this gets resolved (or made
worse) by a newer kernel?

Ben

Old 08-13-2010, 08:08 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 22:10:02 -0700 (PDT), BRM wrote:

> but even so - they are saying this has to be done on every reboot, and
> that's not much of a solution.

Put the commands in /etc/conf.d/local.start, or the start section
of /etc/conf.d/local if using baselayout2.

--
Neil Bothwick

If you use envelopes, why not encryption ?

Old 08-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Mick

On 13 August 2010 09:08, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 22:10:02 -0700 (PDT), BRM wrote:
>
>> but even so - they are saying this has to be done on every reboot, and
>> that's not much of a solution.
>
> Put the commands in /etc/conf.d/local.start, or the start section
> of /etc/conf.d/local if using baselayout2.

Have you been through the guidance in this page to find out which
kernel driver you ought to use with your card?

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

Mick

Old 08-13-2010, 05:58 PM
BRM