Old 08-12-2010, 09:46 PM
dan blum

Default Xorg 1.65

I am currently running xorg 1.7, which crashes very frequently. When I used to run xorg 1.65 everything was running fine. Can anyone clue me in on how to emerge an older version of the program.

Thanks.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

I am currently running xorg 1.7, which crashes very frequently. When I used to run xorg 1.65 everything was running fine. Can anyone clue me in on how to emerge an older version of the program.

By masking 1.7 and above. >=x11-base/xorg-server-1.7

Old 08-12-2010, 10:21 PM
pk

On 2010-08-12 23:46, dan blum wrote:

> I am currently running xorg 1.7, which crashes very frequently.
>When I used to run xorg 1.65 everything was running fine. Can
>anyone clue me in on how to emerge an older version of the program.

I assume you are talking about the xorg-server? Mask your current
version and do: emerge -u world (or possibly: emerge -Du world)?
That's what I would do... or you could always be more explicit:
emerge "=xorg-server-1.65..."

Best regards

Peter K

Old 08-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 12 August 2010 23:46:58 dan blum wrote:
> I am currently running xorg 1.7, which crashes very frequently. When I used
> to run xorg 1.65 everything was running fine. Can anyone clue me in on
> how to emerge an older version of the program.
>
> Thanks.

echo '>=x11-base/xorg-x11-1.7' >> /etc/portage/package.mask
emerge xorg-x11

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 08-13-2010, 01:03 AM
Thomas Yao

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 5:46 AM, dan blum <dan_blm@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am currently running xorg 1.7, which crashes very frequently. When I used to run xorg 1.65 everything was running fine. *Can *anyone clue me in on how to emerge an older version of the program.
>
> Thanks.

Maybe you should have a look at the portage documentation carefully
and understand it well before you dive into gentoo, it's really
important:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1

Good luck

Old 08-13-2010, 02:29 AM
William Kenworthy

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 09:03 +0800, Thomas Yao wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 5:46 AM, dan blum <dan_blm@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am currently running xorg 1.7, which crashes very frequently. When I used to run xorg 1.65 everything was running fine. Can anyone clue me in on how to emerge an older version of the program.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> Maybe you should have a look at the portage documentation carefully
> and understand it well before you dive into gentoo, it's really
> important:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1
>
> Good luck

and consider going the other way - I am using 1.8.2 (xorg-server) which
is more stable for me than the 1.7 series.

However, some idea on what your system is may help - certain
combinations (xorg-server-1.7.x, inetl driver and tuxonice hibernate are
problematic, others are fine with certain workarounds.

Can you provide more info such as video card and what the crash is? The
actual xorg version should be something like 7.4-r1 so I presume you
quoted xorg-server?

BillK

--
William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au>
Home in Perth!

Old 08-18-2010, 03:38 AM
dan blum

Bill,

The xorg version is 1.7.6 (no r# to the best of my knowledge). When I do emerge it will re-emerge the 1.7.6 version and not the newer 1.8.2 version. The video card is VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01).

I have not tried the mask suggested by other responders yet, but will soon.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dan

Old 08-18-2010, 04:03 AM
"W.Kenworthy"

Its worth unmasking the required packages for intel cards - there have
been some quite useful improvements in speed and stability - its one
case where you are definitely better off on the bleeding edge for the
intel driver, xorg-server and the kernel Anything less at the moment
will leave you as you are now.

There are also documents for setting up mode setting via google - setup
isnt quite as easy as other cards at the moment.

BillK