Old 01-18-2008, 09:58 PM
"José Pedro Saraiva"

Default No kernel boot after inserting more ram

Hi all, wise gentoo users!
I've recently bought an extra GB of RAM for my laptop. After inserting it, kernel refuses to boot, it hangs at "Booting the kernel"
I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the RAM, so it must be some other issue, perhaps related with my boot options?

Any help or ideas are welcome

Here's an extract of my grub.conf:

title* Gentoo 2.6.22-r8
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.22-r8 root=/dev/sda5 splash=verbose,fadein,theme:emergence fbcon=scrollback:128K console=/dev/tty1 combined_mode=libata

initrd /boot/fbsplash-emergence-1024x768

Best regards,
José Pedro

Old 01-18-2008, 11:04 PM
Mick

On Friday 18 January 2008, José Pedro Saraiva wrote:
> Hi all, wise gentoo users!
> I've recently bought an extra GB of RAM for my laptop. After inserting it,
> kernel refuses to boot, it hangs at "Booting the kernel"
> I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the RAM, so it must be some other
> issue, perhaps related with my boot options?

Well, if you haven't changed anything else other than the RAM module since the
last time you booted the machine, then the problem would not be with your
Grub configuration . . . If you have, then revert the change.

> Any help or ideas are welcome

Boot a LiveCD and run memtest86. Sometimes even new memory modules are duff.

> Here's an extract of my grub.conf:
>
> title Gentoo 2.6.22-r8
> root (hd0,1)
> kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.22-r8 root=/dev/sda5
> splash=verbose,fadein,theme:emergence fbcon=scrollback:128K
> console=/dev/tty1 combined_mode=libata
> initrd /boot/fbsplash-emergence-1024x768

HTH.
Mick

Old 01-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Philip Webb

080118 José Pedro Saraiva wrote:
> Hi all, wise gentoo users!
> I've recently bought an extra GB of RAM for my laptop.
> After inserting it, kernel refuses to boot, hangs at "Booting the kernel"

The first thing is to re-insert the RAM very carefully,
then to check that no other connections got dislodged accidentally.
Just my bit of Gentoo wisdom (smile).

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@chass.utoronto.ca
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto

Old 01-18-2008, 11:26 PM
Mike

Just a thought... Did you enable High Memory support in your kernel?
Processor type and features --->
High Memory Support --->
(X) 4GB

On Jan 18, 2008 4:10 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@sympatico.ca> wrote:

080118 José Pedro Saraiva wrote:
> Hi all, wise gentoo users!
> I've recently bought an extra GB of RAM for my laptop.
> After inserting it, kernel refuses to boot, hangs at "Booting the kernel"

The first thing is to re-insert the RAM very carefully,
then to check that no other connections got dislodged accidentally.
Just my bit of Gentoo wisdom (smile).

SUPPORT * * ___________//___, *Philip Webb : purslow@chass.utoronto.ca
ELECTRIC * /] [] [] [] [] []| *Centre for Urban & Community Studies
TRANSIT * *`-O----------O---' *University of Toronto

"Courage is doing what is right."

"Do not be bound to any doctrine, theory or ideology, even Buddhist ones. All systems of thought are guiding means, not absolute truth." *Thich Nhat Hanh, Vietnamese monk.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:37 PM
"Ricardo Saffi Marques"

Nothing to do about it...
If he's using amd64 that option doesn't even exist.
And even if he's on x86, if that option is not enabled, it will boot, but will just not use all the memory phisically available.

--
Ricardo Saffi Marques
Laboratório de Administração e Segurança de Sistemas (LAS/IC)

Skype: ricardo_saffi_marques
Website: http://www.rsaffi.com

Old 01-19-2008, 12:01 AM
Statux

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 22:58 +0000, José Pedro Saraiva wrote:
> Hi all, wise gentoo users!
> I've recently bought an extra GB of RAM for my laptop. After inserting
> it, kernel refuses to boot, it hangs at "Booting the kernel"
> I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the RAM, so it must be some other
> issue, perhaps related with my boot options?
> Any help or ideas are welcome

I don't know if you've tried this one already but another idea would be
to enter the system setup (BIOS) and just save the changes, then reboot.
You used to have to do this after any physical changes with RAM, though
I haven't seen it in years.

Just something else to try.

--
Statux <statux@optonline.net>

Old 01-19-2008, 10:16 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 22:58:59 +0000, José Pedro Saraiva wrote:

> I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the RAM,

How? Have you run memtest?

--
Neil Bothwick

Phasers don't kill people...Unless you set them too high.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Hal Martin

An alternative to running memtest (which is quite easy to do, I might
add) would be to remove the original RAM and see if the computer boots
with the new RAM only.

Alternatively, you could just run memtest, as it is included with many
BIOSs now. It doesn't take long to identify problems, if there are any.
I find that test #5 is the best test for finding problems, however it
tends to keep you in the dark until it's finished the test.

-Hal

Old 01-19-2008, 10:31 PM
"José Pedro Saraiva"

Following your replies I've done the following, in an attempt to isolate the problem:
(memory #1 - "old" memory, memory #2 - new memory)

- Runned memtest on both memories with 0 errors
- Booted with both memories... kernel hang

- Booted with memory #1 on slot #1 successfully
- Booted with memory #1 on slot #2 successfully
- Booted with memory #2 on slot #1 successfully
- Booted with memory #2 on slot #2 successfully
- Booted with both memories on windows successfully

For some reason, my kernel hangs if I have 2 GB of RAM installed.
And I do have High memory support (4GB), although that doesn't seem relevant.
Ideas? :X

Thank you all for the quick replies.
Cheers

Old 01-20-2008, 08:47 PM
"José Pedro Saraiva"

Well, after all kinds of tests and trying different types of memory configurations, I can only conclude that my kernel boots normally with 1 GB of RAM installed but hangs when I have 2 GB of RAM installed. I can't find a logical reason for this to happen.

Any pointers or suggestions are welcome,
Regards