FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-12-2010, 02:37 AM
James
 
Default DVD borked: SysFS removed

Baseline- I'm lazy and not very smart:

So my console output upon booting berated me
about continuing to use sysfs. OK. So I removed
it and built a new kernel (AMD 64).

Everything works but the DVD. Ok, so
I need a udev rule to fix it? Googling
has produced lots of antiquated info;
nothing useful.

Can somebody point me to a document, preferable
one with an easy example to follow to get
a variety of different DVD (reader writers)
working again, Sata, ata, atapi, ide......
as this is now broken on all of my 2.6.34-r1
gentoo (systems) kernels I have......

I found this:
http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html#example-cdrom

but I do not have 'udevinfo' or 'udevtest' on the system.

I did find this:
/usr/portage/app-emulation/xen-tools/files/xen-tools-3.4.0-udevinfo.patch

Seems like it out to be trivial to write a udev rule for
these drives:

Probing IDE interface ide0...
hda: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
or
ata3.00: ATAPI:scsi 2:0:0:0: CD-ROM PLEXTOR DVDR PX-755A 1.04
PQ: 0 ANSI: 5 PLEXTOR DVDR PX-755A, 1.04, max UDMA/66


TIA,
James
 
Old 08-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Stroller
 
Default DVD borked: SysFS removed

On 12 Aug 2010, at 03:37, James wrote:

...
So my console output upon booting berated me
about continuing to use sysfs. OK. So I removed
it and built a new kernel (AMD 64).

Everything works but the DVD.


In what way doesn't it work?

Do you have something like /dev/dvd ? Where does it point to? Where
are you expecting it to point to?


I think something like /dev/sr0 is often used for optical drives these
days. That's what it is on my system. Please `dmesg | grep sr`. It
would have done you any hard to attache your entire `dmesg` output in
your original posting.


Stroller.
 
Old 08-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Bill Longman
 
Default DVD borked: SysFS removed

On 08/11/2010 07:37 PM, James wrote:
> Baseline- I'm lazy and not very smart:
>
> So my console output upon booting berated me
> about continuing to use sysfs. OK. So I removed
> it and built a new kernel (AMD 64).
>
> Everything works but the DVD. Ok, so
> I need a udev rule to fix it? Googling
> has produced lots of antiquated info;
> nothing useful.

OK, so what drove you to this conclusion? Why are you sure it's a udev
problem? Or are you not sure? Because right down here....

> Can somebody point me to a document, preferable
> one with an easy example to follow to get
> a variety of different DVD (reader writers)
> working again, Sata, ata, atapi, ide......
> as this is now broken on all of my 2.6.34-r1
> gentoo (systems) kernels I have......

...you mention "all your 2.6.34" kernels.

How is your kernel configured for SATA and ATA? And right below that in
the kernel's Device configuration section is SCSI device. Do you have
SCSI disk support and SCSI CDROM support?

> I found this:
> http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html#example-cdrom
>
> but I do not have 'udevinfo' or 'udevtest' on the system.
>
> I did find this:
> /usr/portage/app-emulation/xen-tools/files/xen-tools-3.4.0-udevinfo.patch
>
> Seems like it out to be trivial to write a udev rule for
> these drives:
>
> Probing IDE interface ide0...
> hda: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> or
> ata3.00: ATAPI:scsi 2:0:0:0: CD-ROM PLEXTOR DVDR PX-755A 1.04
> PQ: 0 ANSI: 5 PLEXTOR DVDR PX-755A, 1.04, max UDMA/66

Are these regular IDE drives? It looks to me like the NEC hda is but is
the Plextor SATA? Yes, I can google PX-755A but someone else should have
done that. ;-)
 
Old 08-15-2010, 06:14 PM
James
 
Default DVD borked: SysFS removed

Stroller <stroller <at> stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:


> Do you have something like /dev/dvd ? Where does it point to? Where
> are you expecting it to point to?

NO. Should I create it? Symlink to?
I looked here at the CD rules for udev, but nothing
I try is working. I'm not the keenest hack with udev (understatement).

http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html#example-cdrom


> I think something like /dev/sr0 is often used for optical drives these
> days. That's what it is on my system. Please `dmesg | grep sr`. It
> would have done you any hard to attache your entire `dmesg` output in
> your original posting.

# dmesg | grep sr
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
sr 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 5


Dmesg:

Unfortunately, I use Gmane.org for an interface to this list.
Such posts are filter by a myriad of rules......

I can send it privately, if you like?

James
 
Old 08-15-2010, 11:15 PM
Stroller
 
Default DVD borked: SysFS removed

On 15 Aug 2010, at 19:14, James wrote:

...
# dmesg | grep sr
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
sr 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 5


So what happens when you try `sudo mount -v /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom/`?

Didn't you think to try that?

Stroller.
 
Old 08-16-2010, 04:07 AM
James
 
Default DVD borked: SysFS removed

Stroller <stroller <at> stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:


> So what happens when you try `sudo mount -v /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom/`?

mount -v /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom/
mount: you didn't specify a filesystem type for /dev/sr0
I will try all types mentioned in /etc/filesystems or /proc/filesystems
Trying msdos
mount: mount point /mnt/cdrom/ does not exist
 
Old 08-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Bill Longman
 
Default DVD borked: SysFS removed

On 08/15/2010 09:07 PM, James wrote:
> Stroller <stroller <at> stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:
>
>
>> So what happens when you try `sudo mount -v /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom/`?
>
> mount -v /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom/
> mount: you didn't specify a filesystem type for /dev/sr0
> I will try all types mentioned in /etc/filesystems or /proc/filesystems
> Trying msdos
> mount: mount point /mnt/cdrom/ does not exist

So, there are two problems but the most serious one right now is that
you don't have the /mnt/cdrom directory. Make it. That will solve the
first problem.

The second is that you need to tell "mount" that the disk in your CD
drive has an iso9660 filesystem on it so it doesn't get all confused.
Use this command, then, to mount the disk:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom

Make sure you really do have a disk with stuff on it in the drive.
 
Old 08-17-2010, 12:13 AM
James
 
Default DVD borked: SysFS removed

Bill Longman <bill.longman <at> gmail.com> writes:

> So, there are two problems but the most serious one right now is that
> you don't have the /mnt/cdrom directory. Make it. That will solve the
> first problem.

Ok /mnt/cdrom built.

> The second is that you need to tell "mount" that the disk in your CD
> drive has an iso9660 filesystem on it so it doesn't get all confused.
> Use this command, then, to mount the disk:

> mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom

Ok it says:

mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only

#ls -lag /dev/sr0 <returns>
brw-rw----+ 1 cdrom 11, 0 Aug 16 15:59 /dev/sr0


> Make sure you really do have a disk with stuff on it in the drive.
Yep,

Kaffeine croaks with ///dev/hda error

Dragonplayer does not show the contents of any dvd
despite a dvd being in the drive

dmesg snippets:

ide-cd: hda: ATAPI 48X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20

sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
ata3: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
ata3.00: ATAPI: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-755A, 1.04, max UDMA/66
ata3.00: SB600 AHCI: limiting to 255 sectors per cmd
ata3.00: SB600 AHCI: limiting to 255 sectors per cmd
ata3.00: configured for UDMA/66
scsi 2:0:0:0: CD-ROM PLEXTOR DVDR PX-755A 1.04 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
sr 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 5

udev: starting version 151
hda: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
hda: possibly failed opcode: 0xa0
end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 8556800



cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
Info fld=0x3b3a10


Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 512
UDF-fs: Partition marked readonly; forcing readonly mount
UDF-fs INFO UDF: Mounting volume 'DELTA_FORCE', timestamp 2001/01/11 16:54 (1f10)
sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
Info fld=0x3b3a10
sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Read of scrambled sector without authentication
sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 3e 3a 1c 00 00 02 00
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 16312432
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 2039054
sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
Info fld=0x3b3a10
sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Read of scrambled sector without authentication
sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 3e 3a 1c 00 00 02 00
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 16312432
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 2039054
UDF-fs: Partition marked readonly; forcing readonly mount
UDF-fs INFO UDF: Mounting volume 'TRANSFORMERS2_IMAX_DISC1', timestamp
2009/09/11 04:19 (1f10)
[drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
[drm] Loading R500 Microcode
platform radeon_cp.0: firmware: using built-in firmware radeon/R520_cp.bin
[drm] Num pipes: 4
[drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs


<snip>

Ok there are 2 dvd drives that use to work with sysfs and a .30 kernel
now the 2.6.34-gentoo-r1 kernel is not working, and sysfs was removed
as was suggested in the old console logs upon booting.

Of the many Gentoo systems I manage, most have 2 dvd drives. Very few
are working since I removed sysfs and built 2.6.34-r1 kernels.....?

James
 
Old 08-17-2010, 11:38 PM
walt
 
Default DVD borked: SysFS removed

On 08/16/2010 05:13 PM, James wrote:


Kaffeine croaks with ///dev/hda error


Looks like you are still using the deprecated disk drivers, and you'd
probably be better off getting rid of those drivers completely and using
the newer replacements.

e.g. in 'make menuconfig' select the Device Drivers item and look at line 8:
< > ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support (DEPRECATED) --->

Notice I have that option un-selected, and I'd suggest you try the same.

Now look two lines below that:
<*> Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers --->

I have an older machine, so my DVD is supported by the VIA PATA driver,
but your motherboard may use something else, of course.

The point is: my DVD is a regular old PATA drive, but because of the
newer device driver it now shows up this way:

$ls -l /dev/dvd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2010-08-17 04:46 /dev/dvd -> sr0

I didn't do anything to cause that. udev took care of it without my help,
and everything Just Worked.

Well, not quite true. I did change my /etc/fstab, but I'm now using disk
labels in fstab instead of device names. If you still use device names
you'll need to change /dev/hd* to /dev/sd* in fstab when using the new
disk drivers.
 
Old 08-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Bill Longman
 
Default DVD borked: SysFS removed

On 08/17/2010 04:38 PM, walt wrote:
> Well, not quite true. I did change my /etc/fstab, but I'm now using disk
> labels in fstab instead of device names. If you still use device names
> you'll need to change /dev/hd* to /dev/sd* in fstab when using the new
> disk drivers.

I'm an old-timer with *nix stuff so it took me ages to finally use disk
labels. It doesn't provide any benefit straight off, but in the long
run, man, is it so much easier.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:49 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org