FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Petric Frank
 
Default Icons at startup of a KDE session

Hello,

i've installed Gentoo and KDE 4.4 on an AMD64 system, configured
/etc/conf.d/xdm to start kdm as login server.

After login the KDE4 desktop starts up - a little box with at least 5 or 6
icons in it where one after the other icon displays blurred and then comes
clear (Disk, Tools, World, ...).
This process stops at the fourth icon (after the world icon) which remains
blurred. At this stage the PC simply hangs - no ssh, no VT-switch, nothing.

So my first question is - what stage the fourth icon stands for. And where to
look for the issue.

After a reboot to the command line i viewed the logs (/var/log/messages,
/var/log/Xorg.0.log) but nothing looks suspicious. The last line in
/var/log/messages reads:
<timestamp> <hostname> kdm: 0:[<pid>]: pam_unix(kde:session): session opened
for ...

The user was newly created using "useradd -m -g ...). There was no .kde4
directory in his home directory.

Other window managers (fluxbox) don't show this problem.

Kernel is gentoo-sources-2.6.34-r1. All components are from the stable tree.

This may not be an gentoo problem.

All hints are welcome.

regards
Petric
 
Old 08-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Petric Frank
 
Default Icons at startup of a KDE session

Hello,

On Tuesday, 10. August 2010 20:26:29 Petric Frank wrote:
> i've installed Gentoo and KDE 4.4 on an AMD64 system, configured
> /etc/conf.d/xdm to start kdm as login server.

To be clear - it is not an 64 Bit OS, it is still x86.

> After login the KDE4 desktop starts up - a little box with at least 5 or 6
> icons in it where one after the other icon displays blurred and then comes
> clear (Disk, Tools, World, ...).
> This process stops at the fourth icon (after the world icon) which remains
> blurred. At this stage the PC simply hangs - no ssh, no VT-switch, nothing.
>
> So my first question is - what stage the fourth icon stands for. And where
> to look for the issue.
>
> After a reboot to the command line i viewed the logs (/var/log/messages,
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log) but nothing looks suspicious. The last line in
> /var/log/messages reads:
> <timestamp> <hostname> kdm: 0:[<pid>]: pam_unix(kde:session): session
> opened for ...
>
> The user was newly created using "useradd -m -g ...). There was no .kde4
> directory in his home directory.

Usually i add new users also to the plugdev group. As a test i removed the
user from this group i got past the plash screen. Now the normal screen came
up.

So it seems that the problem has something to do with the plugging system.

At which places i should throw an eye ?

regards
Petric
 
Old 08-11-2010, 05:15 AM
Stéphane Guedon
 
Default Icons at startup of a KDE session

Le Tuesday 10 August 2010 22:48:34, Petric Frank a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> On Tuesday, 10. August 2010 20:26:29 Petric Frank wrote:
> > i've installed Gentoo and KDE 4.4 on an AMD64 system, configured
> > /etc/conf.d/xdm to start kdm as login server.
>
> To be clear - it is not an 64 Bit OS, it is still x86.
>
> > After login the KDE4 desktop starts up - a little box with at least 5 or
> > 6 icons in it where one after the other icon displays blurred and then
> > comes clear (Disk, Tools, World, ...).
> > This process stops at the fourth icon (after the world icon) which
> > remains blurred. At this stage the PC simply hangs - no ssh, no
> > VT-switch, nothing.
> >
> > So my first question is - what stage the fourth icon stands for. And
> > where to look for the issue.
> >
> > After a reboot to the command line i viewed the logs (/var/log/messages,
> > /var/log/Xorg.0.log) but nothing looks suspicious. The last line in
> >
> > /var/log/messages reads:
> > <timestamp> <hostname> kdm: 0:[<pid>]: pam_unix(kde:session): session
> >
> > opened for ...
> >
> > The user was newly created using "useradd -m -g ...). There was no .kde4
> > directory in his home directory.
>
> Usually i add new users also to the plugdev group. As a test i removed the
> user from this group i got past the plash screen. Now the normal screen
> came up.
>
> So it seems that the problem has something to do with the plugging system.
>
> At which places i should throw an eye ?
>
> regards
> Petric

first of all, do you have some disk space in your $HOME ?

kde won't start until it have some space ...

--
Stéphane Guedon
page web : http://www.22decembre.eu/
carte de visite : http://www.22decembre.eu/downloads/Stephane-Guedon.vcf
clé publique gpg : http://www.22decembre.eu/downloads/Stephane-Guedon.asc
 
Old 08-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Alex Schuster
 
Default Icons at startup of a KDE session

Petric Frank writes:

> All hints are welcome.

I had weird effects when I had forgotten to set the sticky bit on /tmp.

ls wonko@weird ~ $ ls -ld /tmp
drwxrwxrwt 16 root root 4096 11. Aug 10:48 /tmp

If this ^ t is missing, do a chmod +t /tmp, and try again.

Wonko
 
Old 08-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Petric Frank
 
Default Icons at startup of a KDE session

Hello,

On Wednesday, 11. August 2010 07:15:13 Stéphane Guedon wrote:
> > > i've installed Gentoo and KDE 4.4 on an AMD64 system, configured
> > > /etc/conf.d/xdm to start kdm as login server.
> >
> > To be clear - it is not an 64 Bit OS, it is still x86.
> >
> > > After login the KDE4 desktop starts up - a little box with at least 5
> > > or 6 icons in it where one after the other icon displays blurred and
> > > then comes clear (Disk, Tools, World, ...).
> > > This process stops at the fourth icon (after the world icon) which
> > > remains blurred. At this stage the PC simply hangs - no ssh, no
> > > VT-switch, nothing.
> > >
> > > So my first question is - what stage the fourth icon stands for. And
> > > where to look for the issue.
> > >
> > > After a reboot to the command line i viewed the logs
> > > (/var/log/messages, /var/log/Xorg.0.log) but nothing looks suspicious.
> > > The last line in
> > >
> > > /var/log/messages reads:
> > > <timestamp> <hostname> kdm: 0:[<pid>]: pam_unix(kde:session): session
> > >
> > > opened for ...
> > >
> > > The user was newly created using "useradd -m -g ...). There was no
> > > .kde4 directory in his home directory.
> >
> > Usually i add new users also to the plugdev group. As a test i removed
> > the user from this group i got past the plash screen. Now the normal
> > screen came up.
> >
> > So it seems that the problem has something to do with the plugging
> > system.
> >
> > At which places i should throw an eye ?
> >
>
> first of all, do you have some disk space in your $HOME ?

Yes. There is at least 5 GBytes free.

> kde won't start until it have some space ...

It is starting if the user is not member of the group plugdev.

I thought - ok, if not plugdev then use policykit. I enabled this use-flag and
re-build everything marked by this flag (emerge -uDN world).
But this does not help. I'm back to not being able to log in. :-(

regards
Petric
 
Old 08-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Petric Frank
 
Default Icons at startup of a KDE session

Hello,

On Wednesday, 11. August 2010 10:59:33 Alex Schuster wrote:
> Petric Frank writes:
> > All hints are welcome.
>
> I had weird effects when I had forgotten to set the sticky bit on /tmp.

That is a rather new direction. I never checked this.

> ls wonko@weird ~ $ ls -ld /tmp
> drwxrwxrwt 16 root root 4096 11. Aug 10:48 /tmp

same here - sticky bit set

> If this ^ t is missing, do a chmod +t /tmp, and try again.

It is there.

regards
Petric
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:29 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org