Old 08-08-2010, 06:21 PM
CJoeB

Default Dumb KDE Question

Hi,

I'm getting better .... recently updated to KDE 4.4 - 200+ packages that
needed to be updated (including those that weren't KDE apps) and I had a
bit of jumping through hoops to get everything installed - build
failures, blocks, etc. but managed to do everything by myself with a
little help from google! ;-)

Anyway, the question is this .... I managed to do something (and I can't
figure out what) so that now, when I minimize a running application in
KDE, the application doesn't dock on the panel. Can't seem to find a
setting to change this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
The Alt-Tab thing works so I can get the applications back, but I would
prefer to see them docked on the panel.

Thanks in advance.

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.organ

Old 08-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Sonntag 08 August 2010, CJoeB wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm getting better .... recently updated to KDE 4.4 - 200+ packages that
> needed to be updated (including those that weren't KDE apps) and I had a
> bit of jumping through hoops to get everything installed - build
> failures, blocks, etc. but managed to do everything by myself with a
> little help from google! ;-)
>
> Anyway, the question is this .... I managed to do something (and I can't
> figure out what) so that now, when I minimize a running application in
> KDE, the application doesn't dock on the panel. Can't seem to find a
> setting to change this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
> The Alt-Tab thing works so I can get the applications back, but I would
> prefer to see them docked on the panel.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Colleen

you probably removed the window list plasmoid from the control bar. You can
add it back with the plasmoids menu.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Bill Longman

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Manuel Klemenz <m.klemenz@gmx.at> wrote:

On Sunday 08 August 2010 20:21:13 CJoeB wrote:

> *Hi,

> I'm getting better .... recently updated to KDE 4.4 - 200+ packages that

> needed to be updated (including those that weren't KDE apps) and I had a

> bit of jumping through hoops to get everything installed - build

> failures, blocks, etc. but managed to do everything by myself with a

> little help from google! *;-)

> Anyway, the question is this .... I managed to do something (and I can't

> figure out what) so that now, when I minimize a running application in

> KDE, the application doesn't dock on the panel. *Can't seem to find a

> setting to change this. *Can anyone point me in the right direction?

> The Alt-Tab thing works so I can get the applications back, but I would

> prefer to see them docked on the panel.

> Thanks in advance.

> Colleen

Hi,

I had (now and then) similar problems with kde widgets after major kde

upgrades. I solved weired things like this just by removing the widget and

adding it again.

If this still doesn't work, you could try to rename the folder ".kde4" in your

home directory and re-logon. this forces kde to create a new (and clean)

default profile. The drawback here is, that you'll loose all your kde related

settings...

Kinda off topic, but one of the things that I just noticed this week was how to add icons to the KDE desktop. I was *certain* that all I had to do was right-click the icon when I called it up in the menu then tell it to go to the desktop. Well, try and try, I couldn't find it. Then I thought to myself, "I wonder if I have to unlock the widgets first." And that's all I had to do. Makes sense, really, doesn't it? But it's not intuitive that right-clicking the menu items changes behaviour.