Old 08-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Andrew Lowe

Default Dialogue placement when using TwinView

Hi all,
A quick question before I do a huge world rebuild. I've recently built
a Gentoo box with has a twinhead setup, an nVidia graphics card and two
monitors. I've got everything up and running fine, EXCEPT for one thing,
dialogue placement. When a dialogue pops up, it pops up right in the
middle of the virtual screen which is the line between the two monitors.
I used to have it set up so that when a dialogue popped up, it would pop
up central to one of the monitors - but now I can't remember how I
actually had it set up to do this.

I had a look at my USE flags and I don't have "xinerama" set. An
"emerge -NuD --pretend world" shows a whole lot of graphics apps that
would be rebuilt if I did have this value set. Is this the reason why my
dialogues are not centering to one monitor? I also noticed that when I
full screen a window, it goes right across both monitors, previously
this would have only gone over one screen.

So in summary, is "xinerama" most likely the answer to my problems?

Regards,
Andrew