Old 08-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Mick

Default sign in OpenOffice

I am puzzled by this problem. One box of mine seems to be unable to show the
GBP sign in OpenOffice. In any OOo application it shows a capital A with
umlauts and then shows the sign.

In the OOo Language Settings I have selected as Default Currency "GBP
English (UK)" just as I have on two other boxen, which work fine.

The locales are the same LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8" on all of them.

Any ideas?
Mick

Old 08-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Mark Knecht

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am puzzled by this problem. *One box of mine seems to be unable to show the
> GBP sign in OpenOffice. *In any OOo application it shows a capital A with
> umlauts and then shows the sign.
>
> In the OOo Language Settings I have selected as Default Currency "GBP
> English (UK)" just as I have on two other boxen, which work fine.
>
> The locales are the same LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8" on all of them.
>
> Any ideas?
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

No real idea but possibly:

Different font sets installed?

Incorrect/different font paths in xorg.config?

I don't use OO so I cannot speak to it's internal settings.

Good luck,
Mark

Old 08-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Mick

On Friday 06 August 2010 21:13:06 Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am puzzled by this problem. One box of mine seems to be unable to show
> > the GBP sign in OpenOffice. In any OOo application it shows a capital A
> > with umlauts and then shows the sign.
> >
> > In the OOo Language Settings I have selected as Default Currency "GBP
> > English (UK)" just as I have on two other boxen, which work fine.
> >
> > The locales are the same LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8" on all of them.
> >
> > Any ideas?

> No real idea but possibly:
>
> Different font sets installed?
>
> Incorrect/different font paths in xorg.config?

Thanks Mark,

The fonts are the same (or at least 95% or more the same). None of the
machines in question are using an xorg.conf.

Mick

Old 08-17-2010, 07:28 AM
Mick

On Friday 06 August 2010 21:13:06 Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am puzzled by this problem. One box of mine seems to be unable to show
> > the GBP sign in OpenOffice. In any OOo application it shows a capital A
> > with umlauts and then shows the sign.
> >
> > In the OOo Language Settings I have selected as Default Currency "GBP
> > English (UK)" just as I have on two other boxen, which work fine.
> >
> > The locales are the same LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8" on all of them.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Mick
>
> No real idea but possibly:
>
> Different font sets installed?
>
> Incorrect/different font paths in xorg.config?
>
> I don't use OO so I cannot speak to it's internal settings.
>
> Good luck,
> Mark

I looked at this box again and it transpires that it also has this problem in
Kmail, not just OOo. There don't seem to be any other problems with the
characterset or keyboard, only the GBP sign.
Mick

Old 08-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Mick

On Tuesday 17 August 2010 08:28:11 you wrote:
> On Friday 06 August 2010 21:13:06 Mark Knecht wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I am puzzled by this problem. One box of mine seems to be unable to
> > > show the GBP sign in OpenOffice. In any OOo application it shows a
> > > capital A with umlauts and then shows the sign.
> > >
> > > In the OOo Language Settings I have selected as Default Currency "GBP
> > > English (UK)" just as I have on two other boxen, which work fine.
> > >
> > > The locales are the same LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8" on all of them.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > > Mick
> >
> > No real idea but possibly:
> >
> > Different font sets installed?
> >
> > Incorrect/different font paths in xorg.config?
> >
> > I don't use OO so I cannot speak to it's internal settings.
> >
> > Good luck,
> > Mark
>
> I looked at this box again and it transpires that it also has this problem
> in Kmail, not just OOo. There don't seem to be any other problems with
> the characterset or keyboard, only the GBP sign.

Just adding to this, the sign works fine on the console. It is the X
applications (including terminals) that seem to have the problem with the ''
sign.
Mick