Old 08-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Xi Shen

Default eth0 cannot start up

hi,

after a sudden power cut off, my gentoo system cannot connect to the
network any more...

the system can be started, but when starting dhcp, it reports "Cannot
assign requested address". if tried ifconfig eth0 up, it reports the
same error. using dmesg|grep eth0 and dmesg|grep network, it shows the
system has detected my network card.

any idea what is the cause of the problem?

--
Best Regards,
Xi Shen (David)

http://twitter.com/davidshen84/

Old 08-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Mick

Run dhcpcd -k and check that dhcpcd does not leave any locks behind.

Then run dhcpcd -d eth0 and see what's reported by it.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Xi Shen

i reboot the system, fresh start with livcd. all reports the same error.

i noticed that the hardware address is 3a:3a:2d:6c:3a:3a, which is
obviously an invalid one. i guess it is a hardware failure...

Old 08-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Frank Schwidom <schwidom@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i had a similary problem, eth0 was away, but eth1 appeared insteadof.

That usually happens if you put in a new card, or MAC address changed
somehow. Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules in that case
to rename or remove the unwanted entries.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Frank Schwidom

Hi,

i had a similary problem, eth0 was away, but eth1 appeared insteadof.

Regards

Old 08-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 16:03:49 -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:

> > i had a similary problem, eth0 was away, but eth1 appeared
> > insteadof.
>
> That usually happens if you put in a new card, or MAC address changed
> somehow. Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules in that case
> to rename or remove the unwanted entries.

Or just delete the file and let a new one be created at the next boot.

--
Neil Bothwick

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:17 AM
Xi Shen

normally, the latest livecd boot up the system, and everything works.
if the livecd boot up and something is not working, i guess it must be
a hardware issue.

BTW, ifconfig -a does show my eth0 NIC, but ifconfig eth0 up cannot
start my NIC.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:00 AM
William Kenworthy

try mii-tool if its compatible with the card

sys-apps/net-tools-1.60_p20090728014017-r1 (/sbin/mii-tool)

Add more "-v" to its command line and you get more info including a ROM
readout.

BillK

--
William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au>
Home in Perth!

Old 08-07-2010, 04:19 AM
Xi Shen

my NIC magically recovered i did nothing. i just wake up today, and
turn my computer on, and it is as good as new.