Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   eth0 cannot start up (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/409357-eth0-cannot-start-up.html)

Xi Shen 08-06-2010 11:57 AM

eth0 cannot start up
 
hi,

after a sudden power cut off, my gentoo system cannot connect to the
network any more...

the system can be started, but when starting dhcp, it reports "Cannot
assign requested address". if tried ifconfig eth0 up, it reports the
same error. using dmesg|grep eth0 and dmesg|grep network, it shows the
system has detected my network card.

any idea what is the cause of the problem?


--
Best Regards,
Xi Shen (David)

http://twitter.com/davidshen84/

Mick 08-06-2010 12:14 PM

eth0 cannot start up
 
Run dhcpcd -k and check that dhcpcd does not leave any locks behind.

Then run dhcpcd -d eth0 and see what's reported by it.

On 6 August 2010 12:57, Xi Shen <davidshen84@googlemail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> after a sudden power cut off, my gentoo system cannot connect to the
> network any more...
>
> the system can be started, but when starting dhcp, it reports "Cannot
> assign requested address". if tried ifconfig eth0 up, it reports the
> same error. using dmesg|grep eth0 and dmesg|grep network, it shows the
> system has detected my network card.
>
> any idea what is the cause of the problem?
>
>
> --
> Best Regards,
> Xi Shen (David)
>
> http://twitter.com/davidshen84/
>
>



--
Regards,
Mick

Xi Shen 08-06-2010 12:45 PM

eth0 cannot start up
 
i reboot the system, fresh start with livcd. all reports the same error. :(

i noticed that the hardware address is 3a:3a:2d:6c:3a:3a, which is
obviously an invalid one. i guess it is a hardware failure...


On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 8:14 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> Run dhcpcd -k and check that dhcpcd does not leave any locks behind.
>
> Then run dhcpcd -d eth0 and see what's reported by it.
>
> On 6 August 2010 12:57, Xi Shen <davidshen84@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> after a sudden power cut off, my gentoo system cannot connect to the
>> network any more...
>>
>> the system can be started, but when starting dhcp, it reports "Cannot
>> assign requested address". if tried ifconfig eth0 up, it reports the
>> same error. using dmesg|grep eth0 and dmesg|grep network, it shows the
>> system has detected my network card.
>>
>> any idea what is the cause of the problem?
>>
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards,
>> Xi Shen (David)
>>
>> http://twitter.com/davidshen84/
>>
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Regards,
> Mick
>
>



--
Best Regards,
Xi Shen (David)

http://twitter.com/davidshen84/

Paul Hartman 08-06-2010 09:03 PM

eth0 cannot start up
 
On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Frank Schwidom <schwidom@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i had a similary problem, eth0 was away, but eth1 appeared insteadof.

That usually happens if you put in a new card, or MAC address changed
somehow. Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules in that case
to rename or remove the unwanted entries.

Frank Schwidom 08-06-2010 09:09 PM

eth0 cannot start up
 
Hi,

i had a similary problem, eth0 was away, but eth1 appeared insteadof.

Regards

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 08:45:24PM +0800, Xi Shen wrote:
> i reboot the system, fresh start with livcd. all reports the same error. :(
>
> i noticed that the hardware address is 3a:3a:2d:6c:3a:3a, which is
> obviously an invalid one. i guess it is a hardware failure...
>
>
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 8:14 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Run dhcpcd -k and check that dhcpcd does not leave any locks behind.
> >
> > Then run dhcpcd -d eth0 and see what's reported by it.
> >
> > On 6 August 2010 12:57, Xi Shen <davidshen84@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >> hi,
> >>
> >> after a sudden power cut off, my gentoo system cannot connect to the
> >> network any more...
> >>
> >> the system can be started, but when starting dhcp, it reports "Cannot
> >> assign requested address". if tried ifconfig eth0 up, it reports the
> >> same error. using dmesg|grep eth0 and dmesg|grep network, it shows the
> >> system has detected my network card.
> >>
> >> any idea what is the cause of the problem?
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best Regards,
> >> Xi Shen (David)
> >>
> >> http://twitter.com/davidshen84/
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Mick
> >
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Best Regards,
> Xi Shen (David)
>
> http://twitter.com/davidshen84/
>

Neil Bothwick 08-06-2010 09:18 PM

eth0 cannot start up
 
On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 16:03:49 -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:

> > i had a similary problem, eth0 was away, but eth1 appeared
> > insteadof.
>
> That usually happens if you put in a new card, or MAC address changed
> somehow. Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules in that case
> to rename or remove the unwanted entries.

Or just delete the file and let a new one be created at the next boot.


--
Neil Bothwick

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Xi Shen 08-07-2010 02:17 AM

eth0 cannot start up
 
normally, the latest livecd boot up the system, and everything works.
if the livecd boot up and something is not working, i guess it must be
a hardware issue.

BTW, ifconfig -a does show my eth0 NIC, but ifconfig eth0 up cannot
start my NIC.


On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 12:01 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 August 2010 13:45, Xi Shen <davidshen84@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> i reboot the system, fresh start with livcd. all reports the same error. :(
>>
>> i noticed that the hardware address is 3a:3a:2d:6c:3a:3a, which is
>> obviously an invalid one. i guess it is a hardware failure...
>
> Hmm ... if ifconfig -a does not show your device then this merits
> further investigation.
>
> Does the LiveCD have the requisite driver for your eth0?
>
> In your normal OS the permanent udev rules could have messed up the
> order of your devices (assuming that you have more than one network
> interface) so that eth1 is now eth0.
>
> However, I am not sure that the LiveCD would show the same problem as
> it would run its own udev daemon. *Either way, ifconfig -a should show
> all your interfaces and MAC numbers (as long as there is the
> appropriate driver in the kernel).
>
> If it is a hardware failure it may be worth trying to reseat the card
> if separate to the MoBo, or disable/enable in the BIOS to reset it.
> --
> Regards,
> Mick
>
>



--
Best Regards,
Xi Shen (David)

http://twitter.com/davidshen84/

William Kenworthy 08-07-2010 04:00 AM

eth0 cannot start up
 
try mii-tool if its compatible with the card

sys-apps/net-tools-1.60_p20090728014017-r1 (/sbin/mii-tool)

Add more "-v" to its command line and you get more info including a ROM
readout.

BillK


On Sat, 2010-08-07 at 10:17 +0800, Xi Shen wrote:
> normally, the latest livecd boot up the system, and everything works.
> if the livecd boot up and something is not working, i guess it must be
> a hardware issue.
>
> BTW, ifconfig -a does show my eth0 NIC, but ifconfig eth0 up cannot
> start my NIC.
>
>
> On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 12:01 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 6 August 2010 13:45, Xi Shen <davidshen84@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >> i reboot the system, fresh start with livcd. all reports the same error. :(
> >>
> >> i noticed that the hardware address is 3a:3a:2d:6c:3a:3a, which is
> >> obviously an invalid one. i guess it is a hardware failure...
> >
> > Hmm ... if ifconfig -a does not show your device then this merits
> > further investigation.
> >
> > Does the LiveCD have the requisite driver for your eth0?
> >
> > In your normal OS the permanent udev rules could have messed up the
> > order of your devices (assuming that you have more than one network
> > interface) so that eth1 is now eth0.
> >
> > However, I am not sure that the LiveCD would show the same problem as
> > it would run its own udev daemon. Either way, ifconfig -a should show
> > all your interfaces and MAC numbers (as long as there is the
> > appropriate driver in the kernel).
> >
> > If it is a hardware failure it may be worth trying to reseat the card
> > if separate to the MoBo, or disable/enable in the BIOS to reset it.
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Mick
> >
> >
>
>
>

--
William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au>
Home in Perth!

Xi Shen 08-07-2010 04:19 AM

eth0 cannot start up
 
my NIC magically recovered :) i did nothing. i just wake up today, and
turn my computer on, and it is as good as new.


On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 12:00 PM, William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> try mii-tool if its compatible with the card
>
> sys-apps/net-tools-1.60_p20090728014017-r1 (/sbin/mii-tool)
>
> Add more "-v" to its command line and you get more info including a ROM
> readout.
>
> BillK
>
>
> On Sat, 2010-08-07 at 10:17 +0800, Xi Shen wrote:
>> normally, the latest livecd boot up the system, and everything works.
>> if the livecd boot up and something is not working, i guess it must be
>> a hardware issue.
>>
>> BTW, ifconfig -a does show my eth0 NIC, but ifconfig eth0 up cannot
>> start my NIC.
>>
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 12:01 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On 6 August 2010 13:45, Xi Shen <davidshen84@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> >> i reboot the system, fresh start with livcd. all reports the same error. :(
>> >>
>> >> i noticed that the hardware address is 3a:3a:2d:6c:3a:3a, which is
>> >> obviously an invalid one. i guess it is a hardware failure...
>> >
>> > Hmm ... if ifconfig -a does not show your device then this merits
>> > further investigation.
>> >
>> > Does the LiveCD have the requisite driver for your eth0?
>> >
>> > In your normal OS the permanent udev rules could have messed up the
>> > order of your devices (assuming that you have more than one network
>> > interface) so that eth1 is now eth0.
>> >
>> > However, I am not sure that the LiveCD would show the same problem as
>> > it would run its own udev daemon. *Either way, ifconfig -a should show
>> > all your interfaces and MAC numbers (as long as there is the
>> > appropriate driver in the kernel).
>> >
>> > If it is a hardware failure it may be worth trying to reseat the card
>> > if separate to the MoBo, or disable/enable in the BIOS to reset it.
>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> > Mick
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au>
> Home in Perth!
>
>
>



--
Best Regards,
Xi Shen (David)

http://twitter.com/davidshen84/


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:11 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.