Old 08-06-2010, 01:25 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default SOLVED: Progress made, not done yet All of a sudden, no apache2. No clue why.

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

I may have found the root of the problem: examine the following output of an eix query on apache, and note that the cgi stuff seems to be turned off in the installed version.

*
[snip snip]
*The installed version seems to have CGI turned off completely (notice "-" in installed version).* I cannot find any reason either in /etc/portage/package.use nor in /usr/portage/profiles or its subdirectories.

Is there someplace else to look?
Well, I took the easy way out, and added those two options to /etc/portage/package.use for apache:
www-servers/apache threads -ldap doc apache2_modules_cgi apache2_modules_cgid

After a recompile and restart, my CGI scripts are running again.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 08-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Tanstaafl

On 2010-08-05 9:25 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com
> <mailto:kogorman@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I may have found the root of the problem: examine the following
> output of an eix query on apache, and note that the cgi stuff seems
> to be turned off in the installed version.

So, apparently you don't read the postinstall messages when installing
updates?

Here is the postinst message for this latest apache update:

"LOG: postinst
Attention: cgi and cgid modules are now handled via APACHE2_MODULES
flags make sure to enable those in order to compile them. In general,
you should use 'cgi' with non-multithreaded MPMs (such as prefork) and
'cgid' with multithreaded ones (such as worker)"

It can really save you a lot of hassle if you read these...