Old 08-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Jonathan

Default Making emerge-delta-webrsync more useful

Am I right in thinking that the Gentoo Rsync mirrors are using more bandwidth then they could,
because of the CPU load on the servers and the fact that there are less Rsync mirrors then distfiles mirrors?

Emerge-delta-webrsync downloads its patch from the distfiles mirrors which can make it up to 8 hours late, plus the snapshots are only made once every 24 hours.
So the portage tree you download could be up to 32 hours old.

Rsync mirrors are updated twice an hour but the rules for using them are one sync every 12 hours.
This feels like a hang over from the bad old days of syncing and compiling at night.

As the distfiles mirror updates are stepped you can always find a mirror which is only one hour old.

So If Gentoo creates a portage snapshot every hour. We can update more than once every 12 hours and
when updates are marked as security updates, we can push the security updates faster then we do now.
The only down side is that the mirrors would have to hold a lot more snapshots than they do now.

So can we have a portage snapshot every hour please?

http://mirrorstats.gentoo.org/
http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/TIP_Gentoo_for_dialup_users#emerge-delta-webrsync